Sign in to follow this  
pimpin_228

battle of the computers

Quote:

At idle - 28C
Full Hard @ss Load - 40C
I maxed the cpu out at 100% for 5 hours, and the temp
never went over 40C.....

Of course that depends on if my AC is running or not. :-)
I've seen it idle at 26C
and be at full load running at 35C
Just depends on ambient room temp for me.
Mine is not overclocked. Standard CPU
frown 's alright for some - mine's currently @ 48&degC, but varies from 46&degC upto about 54&degC depending on room temperature. I haven't really stress-tested it yet, so I don't know how hot it will go under load.

Friday night I decided to try & improve the temperature situation a bit [as it was staying around 52&degC even when my room was fairly cool], so opened up my case & found that the wires had come loose on my front intake fan. I was gonna re-wire it, but I realised I could fit a 92mm fan I had just lying around in the same place as I currently had an 80mm [below the PSU, behind the CPU], with a bit of modification of course [so the 80mm that I moved replaced the front intake 1, to save me having to fix the wiring] - namely new screw holes & enlarging the existing holes. I was gonna dremel out 1 big hole, but by the time I got round to getting everything out of my case it was too late to make that much noise so ended up just enlarging most of the holes with a hand drill [yes, my hands do still ache!].

I'll probably get round to dremmeling it out eventually, I've also been thinking about turning the HSF fan the other way up & making a little "hood" or duct that will change/redirect the airflow from the fan @ 90&deg to the original direction of flow, so that it would be aimed straight @ the exhaust fan. What do you guys think? If it makes any difference the HSF is the 1 that came with my Athlon & has a 60x60x10mm Dynaeon fan.

I might also fix the wiring on that other fan & add it to the other in the front, so that I'd have 2.

Abit VT6X4

Pentium III 600E @ 800 MHz

Matrox G400 32MB Singlehead

(2)Maxtor 7200 RPM drives

a) 30GB ATA 66

B) 40GB ATA133

SB Live! Value

Pioneer 106-S DVD

Lite-On 24/10/40 CDRW

that's about it I think... this is the first time I've ever posted my specs.

I might get a new computer soon... but I'm pretty happy with the performance of this one. Don't really see a need for a new computer now though... we'll see.

No need for a new computer?! Bah! I will 0wn3rz j00!:P

On the side note, at least one of my reliable ;( 60GXP's is going to PC hell. At least I had another drive to plug in (yay).

Wish i had a really really bad computer that i could upgrade and actually see a performance difference.

I cycle in new parts about once a year in the mobo/CPU department--tho I have had a lot more motherboard's come through here recently.

My new lan box

duron 800@1000

dfi ak75 ec

256 megs of pc133 ram

10 gig maxtor

cheap tnt 2 32 meg

c net nic

Nah, leave this thing open.

I tried overclocking on the NV7-133R. It's definitely not much of an overclocker, and the little I could OC just wasn't worth it to do so.

I did a little bit of a ghetto case "mod". I picked up a sheet of acrylic at a local Lowes store, had it cut to size there. As it is, I have a clear side panel displaying the guts of my rig. I've slapped some velcro strips at the top and bottom runs of the case where the side panel used to be. Total cost: $10.71 for the acrylic and 2 packs of velcro (ended up using only one).

I've just completed my 1st proper mod on my system - put a 92mm fan where the manufacturer had only made holes for an 80mm, just behind the CPU, & cut out a nice big hole instead of the piddly little original ones. @ 1st I only drilled new mounting holes enlarged the existing blow holes a bit, but I decided to go the whole hog & make a nice big hole & since doing that my CPU & system temps have dropped by a few degrees. I also covered up any holes not directly in use with fans, so as to try & keep the airflow going through the case better in the way it's supposed to. Still gotta do some front fan holes & ducts.

Yeah, it's mine. Thanks! smile I just got a sheet of acrylic at a local Lowes hardware store and had it cut to the dimensions there. I bought some velcro to go with it, and the total cost for both was $10.71. I picked up a cold cathode at one of the shops yesterday. I can see very well in my room (has that PC in there) with the cathode on.

i'm not upgrading again until next summer, i can't see the need amymore to upgrade every few months.

I'm just gonna do a little more case modding here and probably buy a new power supply for my duallie...looks like a little brown out got to the bugger and gave it fits.

Time for another bumpity-bump.

I plan on getting a Tekram DC-390U3W U160 SCSI card and a Fujitsu 18GB 10k RPM 68-pin drive (with 8MB cache--yum!) to go with it. That and the power supply...

frown Sadly as i see the death of gaming on the PC getting closer i wont be upgrading either. But i did just buy some cool 10x CD-RWs, best purchace ive made in a while, wow 10x, ive only ever had 4x ones up till now laugh

Quote:

frown Sadly as i see the death of gaming on the PC getting closer i wont be upgrading either.
Wash your mouth out! smile
Quote:
But i did just buy some cool 10x CD-RWs, best purchace ive made in a while, wow 10x, ive only ever had 4x ones up till now laugh
Don't suppose they were 80min ones were they? I haven't been able to find 10x 80min ones anywhere - 10x 74min ones are no probs - I have some, just not the 80min ones. I keep checking in Maplin & Staples, but no joy yet frown

They were 80mins yes, im sooooo happy. Funny how 10 speed 80min CDRWs made me happier than a gf4 laugh

Quote:

They were 80mins yes, im sooooo happy. Funny how 10 speed 80min CDRWs made me happier than a gf4 laugh
So tell me where from!!!!!

That fantastic shop....PC WORLD! laugh They have loads of cool types in there, well they do at least here in milton keynes.

The Packard Bell ones, yes? I just had a look on their site, £17.99 for just 10 RW CDs? Think I'll pass for now - will wait til prices come down a little.

As have I - I just don't have the same amount of spare cash to throw around as you obviously do. smile Plus, I phoned Videologic tech support today only to be told that the prob I have with my SV2 is a known issue with XP & the only solution is to get a new sound card, so have got to save up for 1, as the prob I have with it is driving me nuts.