Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pimpin_228

battle of the computers

That's only one step. Try running UT and see how long you can play that mofo before lockups. You'll know it pretty quick. Oh, and don't be a weenie and disable the background stuff, leave it on like it normally runs for cryin out loud. I like overclocking, but I'm not gonna go to watercooling just for that extra MHz or something. I'm a 'casual overclocker' persay. My first concern is stability before overclocking, then we talk overclocking (if board is made for it). I can't enjoy my overclock if the system won't run without crashing in UT.

I agree;

UT is the ultimate stability test.

This rig will run 3dmarks without crashing at 160 MHz fsb but UT will crash after a couple of minutes; it would run fine at 155.

For me, the ultimate-ultimate test is:

- open two instances of unreal editor

- load two of the largest maps you've got, one on each instance

- select all in one window of an instance and copy

- paste the first map into the other instance and move it so as to intersect somewhere to get a single huge level

- you should have crashed everything at this stage laugh

- if not, build the new map with all options checked

- you should crash there laugh

- if not, when it is built, test play the map from within the editor

- it should crash there laugh

- if it plays fine, you have got a pretty stable rig

- you won't stop there and will launch prime95 or something similar

- if you can still test play the level, you've got a decent stable system smile

Quote:

If you overclock right you have no incompatibility 'issues'

Authough i do see people that think that there athlon 1 @ 1.7 is stable just cos it manages 1 run of 3dmark *cough* madonion.com *cough*

Shame really frown

I think you misunderstood me
I was not implying that overclocking causes compatibiliy issues
I was implying that buying 2nd rate hardware like via causes compatibilty issues.

I have seen plenty of people with their oc'ed athlon systems who claimed that they rocked and would stomp my p3 dually. The fact of the matter is they don't. People are so concerned with processor speed and graphics cards that they have forgotten how much performance you can acheive with a well balanced system.

Quote:
I have seen plenty of people with their oc'ed athlon systems who claimed that they rocked and would stomp my p3 dually. The fact of the matter is they don't. People are so concerned with processor speed and graphics cards that they have forgotten how much performance you can acheive with a well balanced system.

I agree. Overclocking is fun, so long as you can continue to do your stuff without problems. An overclock is worthless if it prevents you from using your system. I only overclock one machine, and I'm satisfied with the overclock. However, the other machines can run games just fine. Most games don't even require a 1GHz CPU to run fine. I've got the only system with a CPU running at over 1GHz. Most systems here at home run 800MHz CPU's and 2 run even slower ones. Save the 450MHz P3, the other systems can game pretty darn well, including the laptop.

I wasn't only talking about gaming as that is only one of the many tasks my computer is used for. I need stability and speed for video and graphic editing to put food on the table. So naturally high quaility parts that run in spec and last a long time are a must for me.

what is a good antivirus and virus scanner if i can download a trial version or one for free plez post a link

Innoculates free for non-comercial use - never used it though, I use Norton.

i am sad to say that i have had my logitec wheel mouse replaced but now this one is dying i tihnk my usb is frying my devices or something cause this is the third mouse

I use NAV Corporate 7.6 aswell and i reckon that its good, especially when up[censored] from the internet as you dont have to restart.

Haven't played with the corporate NAV (as I don't need it), but the normal NAV kicks. I swear by NAV.

Well, I just ordered the Epox 8K3A+ from Newegg as the dealers around town to stock any Epox boards.

Hey pimpin_228 do you still have that geforce2 mx pci card?

is that an mx200 or an mx400? and does it have 32 meg or 64?

and do you still want to trade it for my dell case?

I just thought of something , i am not much for chatting but it would good for us here in the forums. i dunno what is your alls opion on having a chat room?

I don't really care for it personally.

I am gonna try to get a plexiglass panel on one side for my main rig and another string of GloWire. The hard part is gonna be mounting the plexi.

My Epox should come in tomorrow...hopefully I won't be out when they come this time.

This thread is coming dangerously close to becoming 'battle of the geeks' smile oops too late smile

An update on my machines

1st PC

--------------------

AMD Athlon XP 1800+

Gigabyte GA-7DXR w/USB2

512MB DDR PC2100RAM

GeForce 3 Ti200 64MB

NEC 17" Multisync A700 Monitor

60GB IBM 7200RPM HDD

LG 16X/48X DVD Drive

LiteOn 16X/10X/40X CDRW Drive

Realtek RTL8139/810X NIC Card