Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
siaoant

Sims 2 Installation Help (Directx 9.0c problem)

Originally posted by Kazung-Q:

Quote:
hello

I am one of the 1000nds of people with this problem. I've been looking for a solution on boards like these and I've logged it at EA Technical Support. I just got a reaction (in the weekend imagine that!). At this point I'm re-installing the game so I don't know yet if it will work, but let's hope so ;o)

In the meantime I'll share my reply from EA:

Quote:
Hello,

Thank you for contacting EA technical support. I am sorry that you are having difficulty.

This error is usually caused by a faulty installation of DirectX.

First, make sure your disk is in the drive. Afterwards follow these steps.

Open My Computer.

Right click on the Sims2 icon and choose Open.

Double-click on the DirectX folder.

Right-click on the DSETUP.dll file and choose Copy.

Close this window.

Open My Computer again.

This time, open your C: drive (usually called Local Disk).

Now open the WINDOWS folder.

Open the SYSTEM32 folder.

Right-click on an empty space in the folder and choose Paste.

Now try running the installation again.

If the issue persists you will need to reinstall DirectX.

You can get this program either off the disk, or from Microsoft's website.

To use the DirectX installer on the disk:

Open My Computer.

Right-click on the Sims2 icon and choose Open.

Open the DirectX folder.

Double-click on the dxsetup icon.

This will install DirectX 9.0c on your system.

If you would like to install DirectX directly from Microsoft:

Go to www.microsoft.com

DirectX is available on the Downloads page.

If the trouble continues, The issue you are experiencing is due to corrupted game files. In this case we will need to remove all the files associated with the games in order for them to work properly.

We have to go into your Windows registry and remove the parts of the game program that were not removed from your system. We will be focusing on 2 files that were installed with the game into your registry. First, we will need to make a backup of your registry. We do this by using a tool called Scanreg;

1. Click on Start then go to Run.

2. Type in scanreg /backup.

3. Click on Ok.

You will see a window briefly appear on your screen and then go away. Once you have seen this that will tell you that you have made a backup of your registry. If you have Windows XP you can skip this step.

Now we will remove the keys for The Sims 2 from your registry. To do this, follow the steps below;

1. Click on Start then go to Run.

2. Type in regedit and click OK.

3. Left-Click once on the plus sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

4. Left-Click once on the plus sign next to a folder labeled Software.

5. Left-Click once on the plus sign next to a folder labeled EA Games.

6. You will see a folder labeled "The Sims 2".

7. Right click once on this folder; a menu will appear.

8. Select the delete option and left-click; this will remove the folder. The window may take you to the top of the screen. Simply scroll back down to where you were before.

9. Left-Click once on the plus sign next to a folder labeled Microsoft.

10. Left-Click once on the plus sign next to a folder labeled Windows.

11. Left-Click once on the plus sign next to a folder labeled Current Version.

12. Left-Click once on the plus sign next to a folder labeled Uninstall.

13. Locate a folder labeled {8AB8D458-939E-403F-0097-9BA1C1F013D5}

14. Right click once on this folder; a menu will appear.

15. Select the delete option and left-click; this will remove the folder.

Delete the two Sims 2 folders located here:

C:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2

and here:

\\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2

You have now removed all entries for The Sims 2 from your system. At this point you should be able to re-install your game without an issue.

I hope it's usefull!

one note: if(!) it is the solution, please spread this post on at least one other board so all simmers are happy simmers again.

It doesn't work. Please post another solution.

the easiest one.

Sorry for posting another topic here but someone please advise me about the problem i posted about medal of honor pacific assault not playing on my gforce mx4000. do i need to change to an FX video card?

thanks.

my email addresses:

veegee1@edsamail.com.ph

vggarcia@napocor.gov.ph

veegee_garcia@yahoo.com

ermm..where is the directx 9.0b folder?.. gosh..im having the same problem u see.... 9.0b cant change to 9.0c.. but, before i formatted this OS.... I can play sims 2! after i have formatted the OS..and I tried to install the sims 2 back .. and it seems that now im facing the problem with directx.

sobsob

-elynn-

hmmmm... LOL you guys are funny! I have Windows 98, I went and bought sims 2, went to www.Microsoft.com, dowloaded Directx9 and wooot works. is it possible that xp is not really good for running sims 2? because I didnt experince any problems.

Hi guys ok the solution is getting the last sp2 and you need to use your xp update if you have a cracked xp sp2 you might have the one which is relesed with 9.0b so to install your 9.0c you need latest sp2 bug fixed patch which you only can download from microsoft site after they make sure you have original XP other wise you need to reinstall your OS with a new XP making sure it includes the last sp2 with 9.0c included if you get what i mean.

i just spent an hour on the phone with the Blizzard technical crew (for World of Warcraft) and then 3 hours on the phone with Microsoft. Still no solution to the Directx 9.0b problem. They promised to get a solution for me tomorrow. More to come...

hi,

probably i'm having this directx prob a bit too late..

i am a mac user but since the sims 2 for mac is not released until next year, i bought TS2 for windows.

and i have the same problem.

I'm using Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2 (which i read that this is the main problem), Pentium 4 CPU 2.6 Ghz with 256 MB of RAM.

Intel 82865G Graphics Controller and supposedly i fulfilled all the requirements to install the sims 2..

I tried all the solutions i've found in the forums. I've reinstalled the sims 5 times, reinstall directx 9oc or whatever like 6 times (and i've copied it to the system32 folder as well).. I tried the solutions some gave out in the forums and the solution from EA games someone posted a while ago.

but still.. nothing seems to work.

Help?

And i also wanted to express my irritation for XP and DirectX..

After this problem, I don't think i would ever regret my decision to convert to macs. Everything just works much EASIER there. My PC's processor is much stronger than my mac, but it seems that a much weaker mac can handle things MUCH better than the so-called user-friendly Windows.

hi,

probably i'm having this directx prob a bit too late..

i am a mac user but since the sims 2 for mac is not released until next year, i bought TS2 for windows.

and i have the same problem.

I'm using Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2 (which i read that this is the main problem), Pentium 4 CPU 2.6 Ghz with 256 MB of RAM.

Intel 82865G Graphics Controller and supposedly i fulfilled all the requirements to install the sims 2..

I tried all the solutions i've found in the forums. I've reinstalled the sims 5 times, reinstall directx 9oc or whatever like 6 times (and i've copied it to the system32 folder as well).. I tried the solutions some gave out in the forums and the solution from EA games someone posted a while ago.

but still.. nothing seems to work.

Help?

And i also wanted to express my irritation for XP and DirectX..

After this problem, I don't think i would ever regret my decision to convert to macs. Everything just works much EASIER there. My PC's processor is much stronger than my mac, but it seems that a much weaker mac can handle things MUCH better than the so-called user-friendly Windows.

HI i know that you have been through this with other people, but as i know absoloutly NOTHING about computers...it all seems a bit confusing to me! I installed the sims got the directX thingy thing come up and something about my video card??? I odnt know how to find my video card, dispite readign on here how to find it. And i have read things about putting a new chip of some kind in your pc to make the sims 2 work...im sooo confused!

When I go to Run and type in dxdiag, I check the display and I see nothing for my driver. Is that bad? Can that be fixed? How can I figure out what my grapic card it? I had an old one but it doesn't appear now and it wasn't compatible with DirectX.

What do I do if I get this message trying to open a package file:

Runtime Error

D:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\CSBin\PackageInstaller.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an usual way.

just a quick Q... if i install the new SP2, will it affect all the other files on my computer... because i dont have all the programs on my HD, they're my father's business files, and they're virtually irreplacable. please, i have the bugged SP2, and this is the only compatible system i own. someone let me know if i anything will be lost in installation. also. i was told to remove the SP2 that i have. but i dont want to do that in fear of losing the aforementionned files. thanks for any available help.

Steph

um. Hello smile

Here's my prob:

Quote:
Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make

sure you have a DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest

drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate.

I redownloaded DX,moved it to System32, enabled all the stuff, AND IT STILL DOESN'T FREAKIN' WORK!!!! This is Piecing Me Off...... P.s. i'm running a Windows ME

Originally posted by santroph:

Quote:
OK GUYS I HAVE THE SOLUTION!!!!

Probably a bunch of you wont believe this but the setup.exe for the Directx 9.0c has a bug.

I can prove it doing what i did to have mine updated from 9.0b to 9.0c.

I have tryed everything even taking DX9.0b off and substitute for 8.1, but this is not necessary.

The only thing all of you should do is:

Take the .exe and both .dll in the DX 9.0b folder and use them in the dx9.0c install intead of the ones you have.

Step by step:

Get both Dx 9.0b and Dx 9.0c REDIST (complete install file zipped) from File planet.

Extract one in a TEMP folder like:

c:\temp\dx9c

and the other in another like:

c:\temp\dx9b

get the files "dxsetup.exe", "DSETUP.dll", "dsetup32.dll" from the folder that have the DX9b install to the one that have the DX9c install.

Substitute the files, than now run normally the setup.exe file, everything will work now.

Have good luck, and I hope this solves all of your problems!

excuse me but

WHAT????

i GOT THE GAME. I tried every single thing they told me to do here.

FOR GODS SAKE I INSTALLED IT 3 TIMES!!!!!!!!!!

I. Need. Help. Now!

Originally posted by Munky619:

Quote:
um. Hello smile

Here's my prob:

Quote:
Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make

sure you have a DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest

drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate.

I redownloaded DX,moved it to System32, enabled all the stuff, AND IT STILL DOESN'T FREAKIN' WORK!!!! This is Piecing Me Off...... P.s. i'm running a Windows ME

I feel ur pain...im going through the same thing. im ready to throw a block at the heads of the makers of sims 2

;( ;( ;( ;( ;( SIMS 2 IS REALLY GETTING ON MY NEROUS IVE PHONED UP EA IT DOESNT HELP IVE PHONE GAME THEY JUST TOLD ME TO USE MICROSOFT AND AT THE MOMENT IM DOWNLOADING DIRECTX 9.0C PLZ PLZ HELP ME IM EAGER TO PLAY laughlaughlaughlaugh

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok...my sims 2 game will not work because on my computer i have direct 8.0 w/e and i need 9.0....this for me never works for me...bacause its takes the the folders out but when its copying...it stops working..or i get a error message something about windows logo thing! I have windows xp..and everything....this should download i dont understand..i have tryed online as well do download this...if any of you know what i can do please please email be at bluedragon001@hotmail.com THANK YOU!!!

HI i'm having the same problem with my new the sims 2 game and that it says i don't have the DirectX 9.0 version stuff....so i came online to see if i could get it for my computer but that thing is i don't have the internet hooked up to my computer so is there any other way i could get it without using the internet? please let me know fast I'm dying to play the game!!!!!!!!!!1

Please hurry

totgirl0723

hey ppl, im not happy frown i hav the same story; sims 2 doesnt work!!! i waited for like 3 months and then wen i finally got it it didnt bloody work! i get a message sayin the graphics adapter dnt work. mines nufin to do wif directx9 thing. i just installed it wen i was installin sims 2. unless thats the problem. plz sum1 help cos i wanna play on sims 2!!!!

luci ps merry xmas and happy new year lol