Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
siaoant

Sims 2 Installation Help (Directx 9.0c problem)

Hi guys,

I desperately need help

I am currently running on

P4 2.8 GHZc

512mb ram

ATI Radeon 9600 256MB

WinXP SP2 (comes with DirectX 9.0b)

It seems we got to have DirectX 9.0C installed in order to run The Sims 2. (Mine is original version)

The thing is, my directx9.0c setup does not seem to be able to run at all. when i click next>> in the installation dialog, it immediately led me to a screen whereby it says installation for directx 9.0c is completed. I thought maybe my PC was very fast and installation had completed within 1 sec.

I was so wrong. I finished installing The Sims 2 and excitedly went straight to run the game.

A message "Unable to initalise DIrect3d. Please ensure that DIrectx9.0c is installed"

Well never mind, I went on to microsoft site to download the directx9.0c setup but the setup brought me to the "installation completed" screen almost immediately again.

Next, I went ahead with up[censored] my graphics card driver. It didnt help.

I even went on to browse many many forums and tried all kinds of methods and even resorted to using DirectX Eradicator 1.09 (though risky) to uninstall the current version of Directx 9.0b.

After that i opened dxdiag and checked that my version had been reverted to direct x8.1. After that I tried to do all I could again but the best I could do was to get it back to Directx 9.0b again. Sigh.

Can someone help me please? Has it got to do with my version of windows?

I have done everything I could except reformat.. Thanks in advance

Hi!

No doubt from your searches you would have noticed that is becoming somewhat of an 'issue' frown

Intrestingly enough this page says DirectX 9.0b.

Also on that page it mentions that you will need to have the VB6 runtime files in order to run these checking tools.

I suggest a a quick look at this page since it has 2 checking tools on there that could possibly point to the specific problem.

Your problem is of course not quite run of the mill since it seems that your graphics card should be fine and that SP2 *may* be causing a problem.

Do other games work? If this is the only 3D game you have going, you may want to check that Direct3D and DirectDraw are enabled.

Double check by typing "dxdiag" in the run command, then checkout the Display tab. Whilst you are there have a look at the other tabs and press all of the test buttons. DXDiag also flags up any odd files it finds that may be causing a problem.

Did you by anychance have a Beta release of DirectX installed previously, at any point? This can cause a problem if you have.

You can try enabling the Cryptographic Services (Control Panel/Admin Tools/Services) and then run the 9.0c installer.

It certainly appears as though something is missing as you should get the good old Windows wizard that makes you click Next a zillion times and performs that rather long "inventory"

If none of this works then it looks like something is really corrupt in your XP installation.

If all else fails try the following (hey anything is worth a shot now!). You could wait 24hrs and see if anyone else replies in this thread with a better idea wink

(Ensure you have SP2 installation EXE around or you are prepared to download it again!)

Place the text below in a .bat (batch) file (e.g. paste it into a new notepad document and save it with e.g. the name fixme.bat. Make sure your file extension view is ON, otherwise your file may save as FixMe.Bat.Txt frown )

Reboot your pc then run the batch file by double clicking on it.

The batch file will tell you when it is finished. I have left the credit in here since this guy deserves it. I was going to explain the manual method of doing this but scripting is so much easier wink

Start batch file:

--------------------8<----------------------

@echo off

:: Author: Torgeir Bakken

:: Date: 2004-08-30

:: Stop the Cryptographic service

%SystemRoot%\System32\net.exe stop CryptSvc

:: Rename all log files in the %SystemRoot%\Security folder

FOR %%a in (%SystemRoot%\Security\*.log) DO move /y %%a %%a.old

:: Rename the %SystemRoot%\System32\CatRoot2 folder

move /y %SystemRoot%\System32\CatRoot2 %SystemRoot%\System32\CatRoot2old

IF not exist %SystemRoot%\System32\CatRoot2 GOTO CONT01

:: In case the folder rename failed because of locked files

:: rename all log files in the %SystemRoot%\System32\CatRoot2 folder

FOR %%a in (%SystemRoot%\System32\CatRoot2\*.log) DO move /y %%a %%a.old

SET catroot2locked=True

:CONT01

cls

echo.

echo Please wait, this might take some time..

:: Unregister DLL files that are associated with Cryptographic Services

CD /D %SystemRoot%\System32

start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u softpub.dll

start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u wintrust.dll

start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u initpki.dll

start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u dssenh.dll

start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u rsaenh.dll

start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u gpkcsp.dll

start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u sccbase.dll

start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u slbcsp.dll

start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u cryptdlg.dll

:: Reregister DLL files that are associated with Cryptographic Services

start /wait regsvr32.exe /s softpub.dll

start /wait regsvr32.exe /s wintrust.dll

start /wait regsvr32.exe /s initpki.dll

start /wait regsvr32.exe /s dssenh.dll

start /wait regsvr32.exe /s rsaenh.dll

start /wait regsvr32.exe /s gpkcsp.dll

start /wait regsvr32.exe /s sccbase.dll

start /wait regsvr32.exe /s slbcsp.dll

start /wait regsvr32.exe /s cryptdlg.dll

:: Configure and start the Cryptographic service

%SystemRoot%\system32\sc.exe config CryptSvc start= auto

:: Start the Cryptographic Service

%SystemRoot%\system32\net.exe start CryptSvc

cls

echo.

If "%catroot2locked%"=="True" GOTO CONT02

echo Finished, please reboot the computer and then try to install SP2 again.

GOTO END

:CONT02

echo Please run the batch file again with a newly restarted computer..

echo (but if it is newly restarted, just do a reboot and then try

echo to install SP2 again)..

GOTO END

:END

echo.

pause

--------------------8<----------------------

yeah definitely becoming an issue

I've had this problem since i first installed Sims 2 on my comp. While not a comp novice, i've not been able to solve it.

my sys reqs meet Sims 2 sys reqs

>Athkin XP 2600+

>ATI RAEDON 9600 pro with 256 MB DDR

>80 gigs of HDD

given that 9600 pro is definitely dx 9 compatible the error message just pissed me off

couple of things about the dx 9c install though. what i figured is that dx 9c wont reinstall if you have it installed already. So its not dx problem. Seems to me that the problem lies with the catalyst 4.9 drivers. I'm gonna uninstall them and install 4.8 later tonight to see if it works. in the mean time if anyone got jupdated news or fixes plz post

$@mmY

PS what the hell are the MAXIS guys upto?...they havent got any updates or patches up on their site. Not even any news on thhis issue!!! Are they retarded or just dont care enough!!

that's stinks i'm having the same problem but it needs a graphics adapter!!! Where can I find it? And do I have to buy it?

frown

Ok, I'm burnin right now,

The uninstall and reinstall of Catalyst old drivers didnt help. Nor did the reinstalling of dx 9c.

As for you Candyoyo, what it means is that your comp needs a new graphics card. Now you didnt say what graphics card you have so i cant say for certain if you need an upgrade. But check with the Sims 2 website to see if your Graphics card is supported. As in my case ATI RAEDON 9600 pro is supported but i still get that error. So if your's isnt supported, dude you need to spend some greens. As usual still looking for a fix to this shitty problem. So if anyone else has had luck plz post.

$@mmY

Okay, i just got and installed ts2 today and i have the same problem. I have been looking for a solution to this for hours. I don't understand all of this technical stuff and everything everyone says to do has not worked for me. I have Intel®82815, is that compatible with directx 9.0c? Please help, i really, really want to play sims! Thanks

According to Maxis that graphics card is not supported with Sims 2.

Quote:
Supported video cards (and the more video memory the better):

* ATI RadeonTM series (7000 or better)

o Radeon 7000/VE series (non-T&L; requires 2.0 GHz processor)

o 7200, 7500

o 8500, All-In-Wonder 8500

o 9000, 9200, 9500, 9600, 9700, 9800

o X300, X600, X800

* Nvidia® QuadroTM series

o Quadro, Quadro2, Quadro4

* Nvidia® Geforce series (GeForce2 and better)

o GeForce2

o GeForce3, 3 Ti

o GeForce4, 4Ti, MX 420, 440

o GeForce FX 5200, 5600, 5700, 5800, 5900, 5950

o GeForce 6600, 6800

* Intel® Extreme Graphics (non-T&L; requires 2.0 GHz processor)

o 82845, 82865, 82915

guys.. I have the same problem with the sims 2 and directx 9.0c

used the old ati catalyst won't help, so does the new 4.9 so still can't run the game. search all over the net but it seems theres a lot of solution but not one got the game running.

I've got sp2 but dxdiag shows that its 9.0b

no one knows the solution? other than reinstalling the OS/sp/dx which some claim to solve the problem???

For those who _know_ they have a graphics card unsupported by the game, and also know they do NOT have an AGP slot (check with your manufacturer, or support section on their web page, or the computer's manual) (Dell Dimension 2400 and 3000 don't have an AGP slot, not that I own a Dell), you may want to consider a PCI graphics card such as this. Any supported card will cost at least $40 for a PCI version, and the 9200SE will have better compatibility with future games over the GF2MX or GF4MX that is cheaper. Anything more expensive will probably just be too crippled by the PCI bus to bother with.

NOTE: From the other posts I've been reading, while upgrading your GPU will likely improve the situation, it's no guarantee that you won't run into some other problem. The inside of the computer is not somewhere you want to mess with if you don't know what your doing, so ask someone with experience to help, or read up on installing a graphics card before doing so.

Originally posted by Candyoyo:

Quote:
No It's a DirectX 9.0c graphics card where can i find it? And do i have to buy it? frown

First, verify that what your graphics card actually is.

Click [start] then [Run] then type in DXDIAG in the run window and click OK.

In the window that pops up (The DirectX Diagnostic Window) click on the [Display] tab. Your graphics card will be listed below [Device] to the right of [Name: ] List your results under Device, Driver, and Notes here so we can go over them.

i am having the exact same problem as a majority of u... after installing teh sims2 and directx 9.0c (which completed in 1sec), i tried to run it and it says "Unable to initalise DIrect3d. Please ensure that DIrectx9.0c is installed"... so i tried to download the dx file and reinstall but i got the same problem... i then uninstalled all my ATI original drivers and installed Omega's ATI drivers... upon rebooting, i still have d problem... has anyone found a solution yet? when i check the dxdiag, it says that DirectX 9.0b is installed altho ive tried reinstalling dx9.0c a few times. My friend tried the same CD and it worked well, but he is using SP1... is it an SP2 problem? btw, here are my specs

Win XP Pro SP2

AMD Athlon 64 3000+

GeCube Radeon 9600SE 128MB

768MB RAM

80Gig HDD

hi there!

ok... i got this problem to ,like everyone here.. not only whit sims 2 , i cant instal star wars batle front beaucause its require directx 9.0c to...

if someone have the solution .. POST IT NOW !

i have windows xp sp2 and i think that is the problem.

or, directx 9c need a special video card 100% direcx 9c compatible.

i have a geforce ti4600 and i think to change it if the directx 9c need a beter one. ;(

please someone ! help us !

Hey,

I'm having the same problem, i've tried everything posted including a format of my system. After formatting and reinstalling the sims2 and new video drivers for my geforce fx 5700+, dxdiag still ran 9.0b and i still cant find a way to instal 9.0c. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

OK OK here i am *again* LOL

Funnily enough it seems that DirectX is more to blame than the SIMS 2. Just seen a client who had the same error. Different game tho (fink it was D-Day or somethin)

When I went to install DirectX 9.0c it 'installed'.. or not. Seemed that 9.0c was already on, via the SP2 update.

2 things solved the error and this is sooooo simple!

Number one,- get the newest drivers for your graphics card. if needs be, goto the manufacturers website. When I was with my client i got his drivers from ATI initially but they didnt want to install (the error msg gave it away ;)) so I went to compaq and got them from there. Anyhow they installed ok.

Started the game and still got the same error.

Number 2 - Now to revert 9.0c back to 8!!!! Go have a peek here: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=522

I followed the directions (btw you need your XP CD for it) and DirectX was back to vanilla XP state.

then I installed DirectX 9.0c.

it worked!

i keep posting this info up but it kinda gets lost and i have a prob finding it by the search.... so there it is4 u all from memory (and sry bout the lack of good grammer, spelllling, punctuation and probably readability!):D

Of course you may still have a problem if your PC specs dont meet the minimum requirements and/or your graphics card is lacking enough power......... however the post above should resolve the errors for those who do have the correct hardware.

I just found my original post that has the bit about a hardware checker that you can download

http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread28858-1.html

Is not working.... x)

i have unistal the direct x 9.0b by instaling the hold direct x 8.1

and after i try to instal the direct x 9.0c whit no more succes..

hello

I am one of the 1000nds of people with this problem. I've been looking for a solution on boards like these and I've logged it at EA Technical Support. I just got a reaction (in the weekend imagine that!). At this point I'm re-installing the game so I don't know yet if it will work, but let's hope so ;o)

In the meantime I'll share my reply from EA:

Quote:
Hello,

Thank you for contacting EA technical support. I am sorry that you are having difficulty.

This error is usually caused by a faulty installation of DirectX.

First, make sure your disk is in the drive. Afterwards follow these steps.

Open My Computer.

Right click on the Sims2 icon and choose Open.

Double-click on the DirectX folder.

Right-click on the DSETUP.dll file and choose Copy.

Close this window.

Open My Computer again.

This time, open your C: drive (usually called Local Disk).

Now open the WINDOWS folder.

Open the SYSTEM32 folder.

Right-click on an empty space in the folder and choose Paste.

Now try running the installation again.

If the issue persists you will need to reinstall DirectX.

You can get this program either off the disk, or from Microsoft's website.

To use the DirectX installer on the disk:

Open My Computer.

Right-click on the Sims2 icon and choose Open.

Open the DirectX folder.

Double-click on the dxsetup icon.

This will install DirectX 9.0c on your system.

If you would like to install DirectX directly from Microsoft:

Go to www.microsoft.com

DirectX is available on the Downloads page.

If the trouble continues, The issue you are experiencing is due to corrupted game files. In this case we will need to remove all the files associated with the games in order for them to work properly.

We have to go into your Windows registry and remove the parts of the game program that were not removed from your system. We will be focusing on 2 files that were installed with the game into your registry. First, we will need to make a backup of your registry. We do this by using a tool called Scanreg;

1. Click on Start then go to Run.

2. Type in scanreg /backup.

3. Click on Ok.

You will see a window briefly appear on your screen and then go away. Once you have seen this that will tell you that you have made a backup of your registry. If you have Windows XP you can skip this step.

Now we will remove the keys for The Sims 2 from your registry. To do this, follow the steps below;

1. Click on Start then go to Run.

2. Type in regedit and click OK.

3. Left-Click once on the plus sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

4. Left-Click once on the plus sign next to a folder labeled Software.

5. Left-Click once on the plus sign next to a folder labeled EA Games.

6. You will see a folder labeled "The Sims 2".

7. Right click once on this folder; a menu will appear.

8. Select the delete option and left-click; this will remove the folder. The window may take you to the top of the screen. Simply scroll back down to where you were before.

9. Left-Click once on the plus sign next to a folder labeled Microsoft.

10. Left-Click once on the plus sign next to a folder labeled Windows.

11. Left-Click once on the plus sign next to a folder labeled Current Version.

12. Left-Click once on the plus sign next to a folder labeled Uninstall.

13. Locate a folder labeled {8AB8D458-939E-403F-0097-9BA1C1F013D5}

14. Right click once on this folder; a menu will appear.

15. Select the delete option and left-click; this will remove the folder.

Delete the two Sims 2 folders located here:

C:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2

and here:

\\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2

You have now removed all entries for The Sims 2 from your system. At this point you should be able to re-install your game without an issue.

I hope it's usefull!

one note: if(!) it is the solution, please spread this post on at least one other board so all simmers are happy simmers again.

IT WORKED IT WORKED IT WORKED IT WORKED! (sorry for my shouting, but my I'm a little bit happy. & Damn i just regained some social life ;o))-

It works of course- cos u just frigged it so that DirectX 9.0c installs! Same as going back to 8.1 ......

Just glad u r a happy bunny

Bjork- if u try to install an earlier version nothing will really happen since the installer knows what the current version is.

Follow the post above or the link i supplied. Both work

Hi i have spent the last two days trying to get my new sims 2 game to work. I am not very good with computers but better than anyone else in my household.

I am having the same problem. i installed the sims 2 all was fine it then asked me if i wanted to lauch the game and then and whenevr i press it now it comes up with -

failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter in this system! Please make sure you have a DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provied by the manufacturer....

its obvious that other people are having this problem. i have installed the DirectX 9.0 about 3 times now and still this problem persists. In the diagnostic tool it says that the version i have is DirectX 9.0c

This is what it says in the Display, Device and Driver part:

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: Intel® 810 Chipset Graphics Driver (DC100) 4.11.01.1361

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Chip type:

DAC type:

Device ID: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7123&SUBSYS_80941028&REV_02\BUS_00&DEV_01&FUNC_00

Display Memory: 5.5 MB

Current Mode: 800 x 600 (24 bit)(optimal refresh rate)

Monitor: ACTEBIS TM4895-3

Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200

Driver Name: i81xdw9x.drv

Driver Version: 4.11.01.1361 (English)

DDI Version: 6

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 9/29/1999 09:30:46, 121356 bytes

Driver Certified: No

WHQL Date Stamp: n/a

VDD: *vdd,*vflatd

Mini VDD: i81x.vxd

Mini VDD Date: , 0 bytes

Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-3263-11CF-C976-95A0A6C2C935}

Vendor ID: 0x8086

I then like suggested by many people go to the manufaturers website - Intel and downloaded Intel 82865G Graphics controller but not much came out of that - i'm really confused, please help thanx loads if you can help me p.s- how do you know wat sp??- your computer is.

smile ;(

PLEASE HELP ME! i really want to play this game i no ther is help out ther! my message is above i need help!

K891: you can't expect to have an answer in a few hours. It just doesn't work this way.

2ndary: you should check if your VideoCard meets the minimum requirements, like here: http://eagames.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/eaga...lPTE*&p_li=

(or http://thesims2.ea.com/index.php > HELP > Technical & Gameplay Answers > "Why do I receive a 'Failed to find a Direct X 9.0c compatible graphics adapter' or 'Graphic Adapter failure' error message when I try to play?" )

3iery: try following the guidelines from EA Support I pasted above. It worked for me

@Scintex: I don't think it was the DirectX since I already got the last one from MS themselves (that smart I'm on my own;o) but that didn't install (it flashed away in a minute), & the same happened via the DirectX files on the SimsCD. Anyway I really don't care anymore: It works again!

Ok, I am not even going to bother typing out my situation, becasue obviously I'm not the only one experiencing it... I bought the game yesterday, and the same thing happened to me! ;(

Well, i checked into it, and I don't have a matching graphics card!

These are the ones that work:

ATI Radeon series (7000 or better)

VE series (see note below)

7000, 7200, 7500

8500, All-In-Wonder 8500

9000, 9200, 9500, 9600, 9700, 9800

X300, X600, X800

NVIDIA® Quadro series

Quadro, Quadro2, Quadro4

NVIDIA GeForce series (GeForce2 and better)

GeForce 2

GeForce 3, 3 Ti

GeForce 4, 4 Ti, MX 420, 440

GeForce FX 5200, 5600, 5700, 5800, 5900, 5950

GeForce 6600, 6800

Intel® Extreme Graphics (see note below)

82845, 82865, 82915

, but I have an Intel® 82810E Graphics Controller.

I have tried goign over the steps that Kazung-Q posted in his/her reply from EA, and I have got to the part about trying to re-install DirectX 9.0c.

Somebody sayed in order to be helped put down your Graphics Card, Main Driver, and Notes, so here they are:

Graphics Card - Intel® 82810E Graphics Controller

Main Driver - i81xdw9x.drv

Notes - No problems found.

To test DirectDraw functionality, click the "Test DirectDraw" button above.

To test Direct3D functionality, click the "Test Direct3D" button above.

I've tried everything else it seems, so please help me... Is it my graphics card or what, if so, where and how do I get a new one? Thanks - Ben

OK GUYS I HAVE THE SOLUTION!!!!

Probably a bunch of you wont believe this but the setup.exe for the Directx 9.0c has a bug.

I can prove it doing what i did to have mine updated from 9.0b to 9.0c.

I have tryed everything even taking DX9.0b off and substitute for 8.1, but this is not necessary.

The only thing all of you should do is:

Take the .exe and both .dll in the DX 9.0b folder and use them in the dx9.0c install intead of the ones you have.

Step by step:

Get both Dx 9.0b and Dx 9.0c REDIST (complete install file zipped) from File planet.

Extract one in a TEMP folder like:

c:\temp\dx9c

and the other in another like:

c:\temp\dx9b

get the files "dxsetup.exe", "DSETUP.dll", "dsetup32.dll" from the folder that have the DX9b install to the one that have the DX9c install.

Substitute the files, than now run normally the setup.exe file, everything will work now.

Have good luck, and I hope this solves all of your problems!