Compatible Support Forums
fredinator

Magic the Gathering on XP

For what it's worth, I'd like to chime in on the deck editing issue:

MtG (DotP) had been working just fine on my old Win2K computer for many years. A couple of weeks ago, I installed a new Kensington mouse and the MouseWorks (6.0) software that came with it. Shortly thereafter, I noticed that I was experiencing the problem where "Air Elemental" is the only card displayed in the Deck editor.

I poked around in Task Manager until I noticed the two processes "kmw_run.exe" and "KMW_SHOW.exe", obviously related to (K)ensington (M)ouse(W)orks [KMW]. Kill these two processes, and the Deck editor returns to normal.

As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, there seem to be a wide variety of miscellaneous processes that interfere with the Deck editor. In my case, it just happened to be the Kensington software. My suggestion would be that if you are experiencing this problem, and you've installed any new programs lately, try disabling them one by one and test to see each time if that fixes the problem.

I just have to add that I tried everything to get this to work on XP and I could not get around the "no text" issue. Even your ACT fix, Smiling Spectre.

My solution was to install Virtual PC 2007 and then Windows 98 SE in a virtual machine, then go through the full install procedure from the Underdogs (http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=1550).

Yes, it was a lot of work, but it was WELL worth it. Why? Well, there are a few fantastic reasons why the virtual machine solution is better than simply running the game on XP. One, you can set the Win98 VM (virtual machine) to run 1024x768 resolution, and Virtual PC will run this in a window (assuming you run a greater resolution than this). It doesn't take over your entire screen, so you effectively have MTG running in a window. Two, you can pause and suspend the VM anytime, so you don't have to finish that match before saving and shutting down the game. Pause the VM and turn it off and Virtual PC will save the state of the game right where it was. This is great for my laptop...I can play anywhere and shut down the game at any point, even during battles.

I'm very happy I had to go through the work of setting up the VM. It wasn't that complicated, either.

Michael

Hi guys

Just another Magic the gathering fan with a question to make about a problem

My game it works well everywhere except on shandalar...

I start a new game, coose the deck, the screen goes to the face maker. When i do the face i continue to the place t put the name but the game resolution shrinks to a quarter of my curent resolution (by he way my resolution is 1440*900 ). The strange thing is that i have saves that have he full screen.

Can someone help me ?

Hello everyone,

I downloaded the MagicTG pack from Underdogs a while back, and everything (seemed) to work fine. But when I'm playing a really long duel the game sort of freezes, usually when there are a lot of cards in play. It's the computers turn and it just keeps on "thinking" indefinitely.

This happens sometimes when I play one of the wizards or a really strong creature, and it always happens when I play against the Evil Planeswalker at the end of the game (that dude has 400 lives so it takes a long time to take him down). So basically I have to let him win to finish the game, but I really want to beat him.

Does anyone else have this problem as well? Or perhaps know how to solve it?

I'm playing on a P4, 2.40GHz with 1GB of RAM - WindowsXP Pro SP2.

I've installed the Manalink update 1.3.2 and I've already tried Oleg's fix.

I hope someone can help.

Okay. So, I found this post today. I was having a BIT of trouble with the game. I deleted my old copy, one that worked perfectly, because I thought another, bigger one, would fix my problem of being unable to buy cards... Yeah. I felt really bad after that, since the new one had no text

SO I tried a few things, a little "Windows 95 compatibility" here, etc. No dice. So I went into my Windows\fonts folder, grabbed Arial Bold Italic, and threw it into a folder paralell to the Magic folder. I then backed up the Magic TTF fonts, and went and renamed all the copys of Arial Bold Italic to those of the Magic fonts, and threw them into the folder. Worked perfectly. All text shows =3

I know this is dragging up an old topic but I have recently rediscovered this game I used to like lots. Following the advice here (thank you everyone)I have got it working on xp (had to add fonts, compatability manager, msconfig etc etc) except that I get the following error message in Shandalar duels:

File>D:\Newmagic\sid\Minit.c, Line->1899 AddCard Error: No more room in a cd to add a card

It seems to happen when I try to target a player or creature with a spell. Anyone got any ideas how to fix it?

BTW I have tried running on lower resolutions but it doesn't fix it.

I don't know about that specific error, but you could try using the manalink 2.01 patch, and also Smiling Spectre's ACT fix.

The only place to get them is at the Manalink 2.0 forum at Computer Card Game Headquarters.

Smiling Spectre's fix was long gone because all the links have expired, but he sent it to me recently and now it's back, safe and sound. Thanks Smiling Spectre!

Sorry for bumping up this old topic (again)... But I'm having a problem with this game crashing.

It crashes every time i receive damage in a duel, which is quite annoying wink When i restart the game, i have to start the duel all over.

I am running Windows Vista, but i've tried running the Shandalar.exe file in compatibility mode for windows XP, which doesn't seem to have any effect.

I really have no idea why it crashes, but if you can give me any tips, please reply! Or if you need further information, just ask smile

Hope somebody can help me out!

Hi everybody! So I installed everything just like this thread has said. The game works and deck editor works. I have only one complaint. When I'm in the game all the text moves way too fast, like the game's spazzing. I also experience this "spazzing" when I'm in a duel and I'm looking through my hand. The game tends to randomly click on stuff that my cursor moves over. Usually not a problem, but sometimes it results in mana burn (taps a land or two). Can anybody help with this please? I would enjoy the game more if I could see what wise men are saying and read notifications without them popping up for less then a second and disappearing. Thanks in advance

EDIT: Mkay so I saw that Smiling Spectre has the ACT patch. How do I get this? The link is expired. Thanks