Compatible Support Forums
fredinator

Magic the Gathering on XP

Just wanted to thank everyone for the information. I've been searching for years for a way to play this again on an XP. I've got it working now with the posts help from here. Thanks everyone. No problems on it except for a few spots that have half of the message. But that's no problem for me. I've played it so much that I know basically what it says and I don't need to see it. smile

Ive got the game running and all that now thanks to the other posts here, but ive got a question i dont think was covered.

I was wondering where your current shandalar deck is saved at. I was hoping to edit it and toss in a few cards instead of having hunt them down in game... I know you can easily edit the computer decks and such, but havent been able to find the character deck file.....

any info would be appreciated..

ive been haveing problems with magic the gathering spells of the ancient i click on the .exe and nothing happiens im lost can anyone help me?

I am also having the same problem where I install off my cd, and it doesn't even register that it has been installed. I autoplay my cd and the only option it gives me is to install again. But it went through the install before with, seemingly, no problem. I double-click the magic.exe and it hits the task manager process list for a second, then it is gone. And I get the same error message as dougymac88 when I try to run the deck.exe: "Winmain: Couldn't create the palette"

I have tried changing the compatibility, but nothing seems to work. Maybe I need the registry setup. Does anyone have that .reg file?

Thanks for the help!

-MadBan

Can someone help me...I got the game and patch from 'Underdog' and when I edit the deck in game, it still has land cards in there that I didn't put in. Don't know what the problem is.

The patch seems to mess up the game more when I apply it as well.

Any help would be great, my email is nerfboy_13@yahoo.com

Thanks.

2 Mudweiser

The monster decks is in the Decks folder

The duel decks is in the Playdeck folder

There isn't any place for _player_ deck. frown

To worse, when I save game - there isn't any change in files - only in .sve file. And this file have similar structure as save-files for duel games.

So, I think, player deck exist only in save-file. And can be edited only with programs like, say, cheat-o-matic and so.

2 nerfboy

Did you read readme.txt for patch? It says, there is cheating from program: it gives to you more lands in the game, than exist in your deck. But I don't know, whether it your case or not.

I've installed it successfully, along with the 1.3.2 patch. It starts up fine, it works fine, except that when I'm in a duel in Shandalar, if I take damage (direct or creature), it crashes. It doesn't crash in the regular duel mode, and I haven't tried multiplayer yet. I'm running on XP, and I've tried all of the compatibility modes with no success. I'd appreciate any suggestions; I love this game, and to have it crash like this is like teasing the animals at the zoo. It makes me a sad panda. frown

Hi

I have one small question about duel-play.

Sometimes when I play a duel there a more creatures than can be shown on a single screen. I can't see all the creatures in attacking/defending phase. Is there a way to scroll sideways?

Narz

I recall having problems of mysterious land appearing in my deck in Shandalar. Have you taken a lot of cards out? I think there's a minimum deck size in Shandalar of something like 40 cards, and if you have fewer, the difference will be made up in land.

Could be I'm imagining things, though.

jeremy turner

Originally posted by nerfboy:

Quote:
Can someone help me...I got the game and patch from 'Underdog' and when I edit the deck in game, it still has land cards in there that I didn't put in. Don't know what the problem is.

The patch seems to mess up the game more when I apply it as well.

Any help would be great, my email is nerfboy_13@yahoo.com

Thanks.

I had trouble spotting this too. There's a thin horizontal band that looks vaguely like a twig or vine which separates the top from the bottom of the battle screen. That's the scrollbar. And there's a white mouse or rat at the left end of it. Drag him right to see more attacking and blocking creatures.

jeremy turner

Originally posted by narz:

Quote:
Hi

I have one small question about duel-play.

Sometimes when I play a duel there a more creatures than can be shown on a single screen. I can't see all the creatures in attacking/defending phase. Is there a way to scroll sideways?

Narz

Hi. I have two questions about this game.

Is there a way to lower or mute the game sounds without turning down the Windows Volume Control settings (in XP Pro)? Sometimes I'd like to listen to mp3s or something, but this game is LOUD.

How can I delete old decks that I (or the designers) have built? In particular, how can I get rid of them as possible opponents in gauntlet mode? The system for storing and indexing decks is not quite intuitive.

And, oh, I just thought of a third question! How can I download and use new decks from the internet... and share my decks? And, also, how can I find opponents to play against online? And, is there a further expansion beyond "Duel of the Planeswalkers" in the works somewhere? Perhaps some reclusive Magic loving programmer has been working for years on perfecting the game, including every card and strategy, and has designed the AI with such majestic skill that it beats human players much the way Deep Blue would probably beat you or I at chess.

Thus would the difficulty settings *really* have meaning, when only a handful of people in the world could defeat the game on "Wizard" difficulty, and they would be reduced to quivering husks in the effort.

Or, failing that, a bunch of new cards would do nicely.

jeremy "more than two questions" turner

2 drhibbs

Look on my message above. You need not simply "compatible mode", but concrete "compatibility fix", that can be made with Application Compatibility Toolkit.

2 turnerjer

Question 1.

You may disable sound/music. But lower volume? No, I think not. frown

Question 2 and 3.

"How can I delete old decks? How can I download and use new decks from the internet?"

Look above, on my last message. smile All decks nested in its folders. You can add/remove decks with add/remove .dck files.

How interesting. I am is not I am. smile At least, this site thinks so and says "you can't edit other users' messages. Ok, than I add another message:

Question 1, edited: all sound sits in the directory "sound" in the simply wav-files. So if you want to make it softer, you may take your prefferable sound editor and lower sound level. smile

Originally posted by Smiling Spectre:

Quote:
Question 2 and 3.

"How can I delete old decks? How can I download and use new decks from the internet?"

Look above, on my last message. smile All decks nested in its folders. You can add/remove decks with add/remove .dck files.

Of course. Thank you. Not sure how I missed that. smile

Know of an easy-to-use forum for sharing decks? I've got some that are pretty darn powerful I'd like to show off.

jeremy turner

This is a little offtopic, but as long as we're talking about messing around with M:TG on XP, does anybody have any idea how to screw around with the game in order to disable the enemy wizards attacking cities in Shandalar? Playing on the lowest difficulty decreases how often they attack, I assume, but it makes the AI so stupid that it's hardly worth playing; I like Shandalar, but I'd like to be able to relax, collect cards, duel, etc., without having to scramble around defending cities.

2 jclark9000

I think, attacking of cities not so big problem. smile

At first, it must be four wins fo anyone wizard to win. And no one can prevent you of taking back already conquered city. smile

At second, you can purchase a ring (AFAIR), that extend limit to five cities per wizard. smile

At third, while you duelling with creatures (and especially when you defeating "wizard servants"), power of this wizard goes down, so more duelling=less attacks of cities you have, and more time for defend this cities.

At fourth, you can purchase an amulet (AFAIR), that let you teleports to attacked city.

At last, if you defeat withard, you will no longer worry about him. smile

Originally posted by Smiling Spectre:

Quote:
2 jclark9000

I think, attacking of cities not so big problem. smile

At first, it must be four wins fo anyone wizard to win. And no one can prevent you of taking back already conquered city. smile

At second, you can purchase a ring (AFAIR), that extend limit to five cities per wizard. smile

At third, while you duelling with creatures (and especially when you defeating "wizard servants"), power of this wizard goes down, so more duelling=less attacks of cities you have, and more time for defend this cities.

At fourth, you can purchase an amulet (AFAIR), that let you teleports to attacked city.

At last, if you defeat withard, you will no longer worry about him. smile

Yeah, I know, and thanks for the reply, I'd just like to be able to relax a bit more and just worry about collecting cards and dueling, rather than always knowing that at some point, a city will be attacked and that I'll have to scramble around trying to save it. It isn't a big deal, I'm just curious.

ok... got everything working but no text in game or in deck builder. Can I get a lil' help in this? Nothing is really ever mentioned on how to get this working... frown

Plus it crashes when you hit your first duel in Shandalar

2 dcnblue22

Did you try solutions, described in this thread? I think, with "my" fix it works good, except conflicts with some programs (look above in thread for hints, what it may be).

Besides, what's wrong with text? smile

Hey Peeps,

Im going nuts here!!! I still cant install MTG onto my Xp computer. It keeps giving me this stupid error message "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The systme file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application." I tried clicking on ignore but nothing happens!!! ive dl all the patches but i get the same message even i tried to install those. plz someone tell me step by step what to do to get this working? i would forever be very grateful!!! thanks!!!

2squallionheart80

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT

It's nothing with MtG, it's with Windows. smile All "old" programs want autoexec.nt and config.nt to run properly. And your Windows is haven't it. Preferrable way is to found reserve copies of it (I think, it's somewhere around "Cashed" or "Repair" folder, but I can be wrong - do search for it). But even if you haven't it, you can simply write it manually - it's simple txt-files, and it can be empty, but it must exist.

2Smiling Spectre

i still dont get it. im sorta computer dumb. i only know the basics. please tell me step by step how to get mtg install on my xp computer. u can email me at squallionheart80@yahoo.com the details if u want. thanks

hey i was tryin to find a place on the internet that i could download the old magic game for free..also i see that it has a lot of problems running on windows xp so if anyone can tell me where i can download the game as well as any updates plus install in on my computer i would appriciate it. email me at xxpdog112xx@aol.com

2squallionheart80

I wrote to you today

2wordsworth

This game was on www.the-underdogs.org, but lately they remove link. frown It's because they found seller, who sells it (now it's not). Maybe, link will be back, when that seller will be out of stock of it. smile (Really, that thing already happen, but Underdogs not knows that yet. :|