Compatible Support Forums
fredinator

Magic the Gathering on XP

here is roughly how i finally managed to get the underdogs version of the game to run in xp. no downloads of separate patches were necessary.

1. i extracted everything to a folder, it makes no difference where, and then ran magicg.part01.exe into a magicg subfolder.

2. i ran setup.bat, which is essential.

3. i ran the reg files, magic.reg and serial.reg.

4. i extracted the included manalink132.zip to a separate folder.

5. i ran the setup file for the manalink patch in that folder, making sure to specify the correct game folder.

6. i ran the reg files again, though with no-serial.reg this time. i don't think it matters much for singleplayer.

7. game worked perfectly by running magic.exe.

my girlfriend and i have also tested the multiplayer portion of the game, and it works great. click the 'nonet' box as the game starts up, then select tcp/ip and click 'connect'. in the box that pops up you should input your friend's ip, and he/she should follow the same procedure but input your ip in the box. your usernames should both show up in the network window, and you can invite or accept invitations for duels. i think no-serial.reg is necessary for multiplayer gaming, according to the nfo.

as for the deck editor, i had problems with missing text, but not my girlfriend. she has SP2 and i don't, so perhaps that is why. i solved it by setting the compatibility mode for deck.exe to "windows 95", a method that by the way does not solve the missing text in shandalar.exe. no mouse-related crashes in the deck editor, though we both have logitech mice running via usb.

the game does crash mirc sporadically, though, but the game itself seems unaffected. also, if you want to play without sound (as there are no sound settings to my knowledge), simply rename the DuelSounds and Sounds folders.

by the way, if anyone is having problems getting the file itself (the underdogs torrent did not work for me), the same file is "hosted" at torrentspy.com, where it's the 83.74 M file with the title "Magic the Gathering, Spells of the Ancients, Duel of the Planeswalkers and Manalink (All in One)".

2cybrus

There is still last "after patch 1.32 bug", that can be repaired with my "Application compatibility fix". smile It was earlier in that thread and Nils Devine place it here: http://shalandar.com/installation.html#xp

If you want to know, WHAT is this bug: text in some places are missing - at least this is variable text in villages ("Wise man says..." with empty place instead valuable information) and buy/sell cards. In _buy_ case there is simple "pseudo fix" - because text is "Do you want to buy this card y/n?", you can simply press "y" when card enlarges. Or "n". smile But I strongly recommend my fix, because in other cases text is matters.

2darmanian

Underdogs lately lost it's domain name. frown More information available here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_of_the_Underdogs. So _now_ you can reach site by address http://www.the-underdogs.info/. But as you have all originals, than all that you need is patch itself. You can found it in various places, just try search for "manalink patch 1.32" in any search machine (my favorite www.google.com for example :)).

Originally posted by ShadowM:

Quote:
I'd been hoping to find a solution to play this game in XP for what seems like forever, then I stumbled across this answer in another forum,

"If you're finding it impossible to find a copy of MTG, SotA, and DotP, I would note that the Home of the Underdogs has them, and would suggest going to http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=1550 - you can download MTG from there, and it comes with SotA and DotP already integrated.

Simple instructions for getting it installed and working: Extract that somewhere, run 'setup.bat', wait for it to finish, then move it all to c:\magic\Program, double-click magic.reg to make sure it gets into the registry (setup.bat tries to do it but might not succeed or something), then download the unofficial 1.3.2 manalink patch (from the link on that page), and install that (It expects MTG to be in c:\magic\Program). After that's all done, you can move it where-ever you want, and just run magic.exe to run it."

This worked a treat and even solves the CPU speed issues. This game still rocks!

Important tips are: 1.After doing ALL the above run the game exe's in Windows2000 compatablity mode 2.Use Y/N to buy cards in town 3.If when switching between areas you find yourself with a blank screen simply left click once and the graphics pop right up.

Want to think everyone's help with MTG so far, been very helpful. I have the original CD's and plan on trying the microsoft compatiablity trick first.

[Edited by raware1 on 2006-06-01 04:49:33]

No issues with MTG: Completly worked with XP:

1)Post #173029 As supine Junior Member said. "Download the file from torrentspy.com, where it's the 83.74 M file with the title "Magic the Gathering, Spells of the Ancients, Duel of the Planeswalkers and Manalink (All in One)".

2) Install the original three CD. Make sure to set the setup.exe windows 95 compatiable mode. Make sure to install the net 10 intranet piece, even if your not going to use the intranet.

3) Post #173028 Supine instructions for the patches downloaded from torrentspy.com worked. Make sure you install the 1.3.2 manalink no matter what, It came with the 83.74 M file downloaded from torrentspy.com.

4) Copy all program files from the patch download, over laying the original installations from the original CD's located at c:\Magic\Programs.

5) Make sure all of your *.exe files do not have the compatiablity mode on to 95. Un-click the combatibility mode for all exe's.

6) As meationed earlier in a previous posting, Make sure the display setting are around VGA mode.

Me and my wife thank you, We are enjoying one of our most favorite games again.

NOte: If you do not have the original CD, then you will have to continue with the steps working with Getting yourself Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit, Microsoft SQL server as meationed by others posts http://shalandar.com/installation.html#xp. Was in the process of continueing through the steps when everything worked just great.

Hi all,

I recently downloaded Magic duels of the planewalkers on the underdogs site. All works fine, and I have the TCP/IP option to play with (fourth item of the manalink interface). But when I enter the public IP adress of my friend (and he does the same with mine), we don't see each other in our list. Do you know if it's because we have a router between us? And then, do you know wich port we must route?

The underdogs version of manalink seems to be the 1.3.2 (written on the manalink interface). Do I still need to run the 1.3.2 patch?

I precise that I'm on Windows XP SP1.

Thanks for your replies, and maybe see you on manalink smile

[Edited by frid on 2006-06-05 13:33:57]

I have a problem playing MTG shandalar on win xp. When playing a duel against an enemy suddenly a window pop ups with the message "file ---> line ---> 1899. Addcard error: no more room in cd to add a card.Please call mps customer support". This only shows up sometimes when a duel is long. Did anyone else encounter this problem? If yes, how did u solve this? Please help me.

Also i have a problem with the deck editing. Once i am in a town and want to edit my deck, there is only the option to include black, white,red, blue,green cards into the deck. I don't know how i can add the land cards (not the mana ones)into my deck. The buttons on the lower part of the screen doesn't seem to work at all.

the deck editor crash is definately caused by desktop resolution.. i have a widescreen moniter and the deck editor doesnt seem to crash on the lower res settings...if anyone can figure out how to fix this would be much appreciated =D

2raware1

1. Step 2) in your instruction is obsolete, afaik. smile For work it enough to install last disk, DotP, but with patch 1.3.2 (it opens all cards from 2.0).

2. ACT needed only in one mean: for missing text. Without it my MtG 3.0 not shows "Y/N" prompts and some variable texts in cities.

2 lilychan

1. Standard question: patch 1.3.2 installed? wink

2. With deck - it's almost all working fine on my machine. Buttons works as expected, but one bug - if I turn off _all_ (with function "all off"), then all cards disappeared from list. It's ok. If I immediately turn all on - cards reappears. Ok. But if I turn off, then turn on some or all buttons - card disappears from sight forewer. %) It need to leave screen and return to it again. So I can only recommend not turn off all with that function, but manually. %)

Does the 1.3.2 manalink patch affect the AI? I have it installed but my opponent frequently does clearly stupid things, like attacking me and putting a giant growth on my defender, killing his own creature.

2jlohand

Patch fixes some AI bugs.

But this is not AI bug (not always smile. It depends from difficulty level of game. More difficulty -> less AI errors. _Some_ error remains even on highest difficulty, but very-very rare. And in most cases it's "not using card-using mana" error, not "wrong target" errors. smile

In the Deckbuilder there is no Triskelion, but it exists in some of the in game decks and in the help menu card list. Does anyone know of a way to find a card in the game and get it in the deckbuilder?

Hey all...

After combing through this thread and being about ready to pull my eyes out with a spoon after all the tried and failed solutions to getting this game working, I FINALLY managed.

Even better, as best I can tell, EVERYTHING works as it's supposed to (even the stupid deck editor which was never willing to behave for me).

Even though most of the suggestions here didn't fix my issues specifically, I wanted to give a little back for everyone trying to help others out and figured I'd drop a few bits in here that might help the next person who comes along.

1. Yes, Home of the Underdogs has moved. You can find MtG on their site at this link: http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=1550

When I tried, the direct download sent me to a wrong page after entering the code, but the torrent download did work perfectly which I snagged with some old version of bitcomet or something.

2. After having no luck whatsoever with that version working any better than my flawed CD versions, I checked around and it turns out you can actually get Virtual PC 2004 (or 2007 for that matter but I just grabbed 2004) for FREE. No longer a timed trial, MS actually just made 'em 100% free for the downloading. You can get to them here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx

Now it's pretty easy to get that set up really - just run the installation. You will need a version of windows to install however, either owning the CD and serial for 95/98 or *ahem* "finding" one I suppose would work too. Anyways, once Virtual PC is running, put a windows CD in a CD drive, and on the "CD" menu, select to use that drive and then boot the virtual PC from it and run windows setup. It takes care of the rest and nothing was very hard to figure out.

One big tip though is that once you've got a virtual windows running, you can add "shared folders" by using the virtual PC console's "settings" menu. Add a folder somewhere that's easy to find (from your 'real' PC) and just unzip any files you'll be needing to sub-folders there. Makes transfering them to the virtual machine a snap.

Finally, I did end up just using the original CD's for all 3 games (MtG, then Spells, then Duels) and then patching up with the Manalink 132 patch.

Works flawlessly so far and even seems to be playing movies and such just fine -even including using the tutorial properly with the interface and whatnot.

Since I have no one here to LAN play with, multiplay is the only part I can't verify, but I suspect it would work fine if I could test it.

Sorry it got so long winded, but I was really happy to have it working and figured if any bit of it helps someone else too, so much the better. smile

Happy dueling!

-Kitty

Smiling Spectre (or whoever else has hammered out all the problems) I've now read through the entire 6 pages and finally have MicroProse Magic working on both my laptop (had to use the shut off other processes till it worked fix) and desktop (had to set screen resolution to 1024 x 768 to fix).

My question is in regard to the Post Manalink 1.32 missing text. I have done the compatiblity fix using the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit as per Updated Windows XP Instructions on Nils T. Devine site (Compatibility mode - none, No GDI batching, add all .exe as matching files, save, install).

Is this supposed to fix all the missing text problems or are there some leftover no matter what? (y/n to buy cards in town etc), because I still have missing text even after doing the toolkit fix.

Rholaenos:

Quote:
Is this supposed to fix all the missing text problems or are there some leftover no matter what? (y/n to buy cards in town etc), because I still have missing text even after doing the toolkit fix.

Oops. frown

In my system (Windows XP SP2) ACT fix removes all text missing, that I can found. Can you, please, describe, where problems remains? Maybe in private - spectre at mail333.com.

Hi,

I hope that somebody is still reading this thread.

I downloaded the mentioned torrent file from torrentspy and installed it afterwards as described. Then installed the 1.32 patch and the Application Compatibility Tool and proceeded as described on Devines website. The game still crashes and has no text, though. Did I do somethin wrong?! or is my computer just fully incompatible. Please help me, this game is just to good, not be played.

Maybe someone is willing and has the capacity to upload his Magic-Folder on to a ftp-server. If thats so please write me an email to 8balljunkie(at)web.de.

Thanks allready!!

Originally posted by 8ballJunkie:

Quote:
The game still crashes and has no text, though. Did I do somethin wrong?! or is my computer just fully incompatible.

1. When it's crashed?

2. Did you _install_ compatibility fix? smile (It must appear in the Add/Remove programs applet).

I just remember...

Maybe you haven't text at all? It can be because there is somewhat problem with ttf in Underdogs download (I personally don't see it). If so, you can try another ttf, rename it into propriate filename.

Hi,

I managed to make it work almost flawlessly, but there is a problem that persist if I forget to put my desktop in 800x600 and Run Shandalar I get a problem anytime I enter the deck in cities. SO the question I ask is: Is there a way to do a small batch file that tells windows to change desktop resolution to 800x600 and then run shandalar.exe so that way I would not forget to change the resolution before running shandalar, because I would then do a shortcut to that batch file for my shandalar game.

Thanks in advance.

I don't have any problems now, this is how I got Shandalar to work on Windows XP:

First (you can download it from Home of the Underdogs http://www.the-underdogs.info) Place the contents of the Zip file in C:\Magic double click on the dog icon and place it in C:\Magic

Program, obvisously when it's all done double click on the setup file and your done, you don't need anything else to get both single player Magic but Shandalar to work as well.

Welcome to everyone who needed this information!

Thanks to Rholaenos, I discover, that I understand ACT's work wrong. I thinks, "matching files" in the ACT fix is _all_ files, that will be "patched" with that fix. It's not correct. Fix applies only to file, that was selected first ("main" file). Any other files served only for recognise "proper" program directory.

So my "ACT fix" need to be corrected. If you want to it to work right, on first step you _must_ select shandalar.exe as main file. Because text error appears only in that file.

Sorry.

Greamlive:

This problem appears only now. smile MtG designed to work with 640, 800 and 1024 resolutions (and it have card pictures for that resolutions). It appears, that any other resolutions don't work. frown No, I don't know, how to defeat this (except one case - set compatibility to 640x480, but it's sad solution. smile

Oh! Did I say "compatibility"? smile

Yes! smile If you use ACT, you can add _additional_ fix - ForceDisplayMode with parameters 1024,768,32 (or 800,600,32 if you want). This fix can be hidden on older versions of ACT, and in that case may be activated in the "expert mode", that, in turn, activated with run "Compatadmin.exe /x"

madcookie83:

Do you have WinXP, and don't suffer from missing text? %)