Compatible Support Forums
fredinator

Magic the Gathering on XP

First off I'd like to thank the people on this forum for providing the needed insight into getting this lovely game to run on my XP-computer. smile

I do however have one question which I can't really figure out myself. I have the mage installed and working fine, but now I have to reformat the drive it's on. I would therefore of course like to keep my saved games. But I can't find them! There is a Savedgames-directory but that is empty. I have also found a savedescs-file which contain the names of my savegames. I have found som suspicious files named magic3.fce magic3.map and magic3.sve

My suspicion is that these are the saved games but in order to move them and later put them back in, I sort of want to be sure.

So does anyone know how to extract and later insert saved games? If so I would be very grateful.

Hi!... I have a little problem with magic the gathering on XP coz when im going to install he says: "C:\Windows\system32\Autoexec.NT . The system file is not suitable for running MS-Dos and Microsoft Windows applications." What do i do??

Hey all,

Very handy download, first time the game's worked since I installed XP. I can run Shandalar, but whenever I try to battle someone, anyone, the game freezes. It can't make the transition from the world map to the duel. If I ctrl+alt+delete to exit shandalar, just as the program is shut down, duel pops up, the coin is flipped, and then that program is shut down too. I noticed this question was asked earlier in the thread but there was no answer. Any help would be appreciated.

-Legume

Man this website help me out a lot, I fanilly was able to view the cards on screen and use the deckbuilder. Only thing I still have a problem with is running Manalink, every time I click on it nothing happens. Only way I can get it to run is to do Setup all over again, which doent take long to do since it not much to installing it but wish I could just run it without doing that.

I've tried every possible thing listed on this post, the only thing that this has fixed is the text in the game. It's not my mouse, I've installed the new patch, the program is in c:/magic/program, I can't get my cards to show up in Shandalar in the deck editor, making it impossible to add my lands. If anyone knows how to fix this please post here, or email me at stoutprimeplaya@yahoo.com.

Deck builder and duel works, but Shandalar doesn't. I get a 'File-> D:\NewMagic\source\sidlib\lib.c, Line-> 315 WM_CREATE CreateDibSection' error, and the game promptly crashes. Any suggestions?

Hi all i fasllowed the instructions and got the downlaod and it all works good other then Shandalar. When i try to run it i get this error "couldn't load the strings from the AdvBlocks.text file" any help would be muuch apriated.

Thanks

Hi,

I installed VMware virtual comp program, installed a win98 machine, installed mtg and manalink... everything works fine. EXCEPT: the speed is inmense, its uncontrollable, im constantly beeing harrased by duelers and i cant normally seek a town to edit my deck or such... anyone having this same prob? know how to adjust speeds or something... help me out yo smile

Thanks.

deleeuw.

Hey guys, I have a brand new problem for you. I just recently downloaded all three games (MTG, DotP, and SotA). I just recently bought a new computer (in March). This is my first time trying to install this game on this computer, but my old computer also had Windows XP on it. I originally had alot of these old problems, but now I've got brand new ones. Duel.exe and Shandalar.exe don't do anything at all when I click on them. The cursor gets the hourglass for about a half a second, then nothing. Deck builder gives me this message:

"WinMain: Coulnd't create the palette". I've tried all the solutions here, but I couldn't see anyone who had this particular trouble. Any help would be most appreciated> smile

I just Downloaded this game from underdog, I have the manalink patch installed and the game works but there is no text...I'm sure this has been addressed before but if anyone out there would be willing to help me fix this I would appreciate it. Everything works fine but the text...there is'nt even any text on the main menu.

thanks in advance

Been having problems downloadin it from underdog did you have any issues and how did u get it to work.thanks

Im trying to play magic on windows xp, i have everything but it says I need drawcardlib.dll. If anyone knows how to get this please let me know. Thanks.

I just got Magic the Gathering to run on my comptuer and a friend's . We are trying to connect over TCP/IP but every time we attempt to use manalink to connect we get a game creation on the local area network. Is there any way to play over the internet, or perhaps a LAN? Any help would be much appreciated.

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=1550 Went here for the patch and I found the patch but there is refference to (you can download MTG from there, and it comes with SotA and DotP already integrated), even the website makes refference to a RIPPED CD version with both Spells of Ancients and Duels of the Plaiswalker. Although ive searched the site and have been unable to locate this download. Anyone able to direct me a little better or know where else to get a copy of Spells of Ancients? Any help would be appreciated.

Crisis

I need the link to the 3 piece pacth for mtg and/or the manalink patch so i can maybe play my game lol

hi...

i have the game Magic the gathering: Duels of the Planeswalker...

and it works just fine... but i'm getting a bit tired of it because i don't have new cards (5th edition only)...

is there ANY way of upgrading the game or up[censored] it with new cards?! if so, where can i get that patch?!

if not, does anyone know if there is any way of playing magic the gathering in a singleplayer game (not online- i found several games, but they were "online only" games...) with more recent cards!? smile

i want to play magic with recent cards!!!!! please!!! smile

Hi, I'm having one or two problems. In Shandalar, I cannot actually trade my gems for items (like when you go to towers and can barter and such). I've been able to buy at shops, but what do I do with the trading when some items are highlighted and others aren't?

In the deck editor, I can see a list of all the cards at the bottom, but as soon as I click anything, it crashes. I tried to install the patch, but it only installs about 50% before crashing. Otherwise, I can play the game without a problem. Any ideas?

Hi, all -

I am running MtG on a Windows 2000 computer. I have the HotU version (yes, I do legitimately own the CD as well!), with all the latest patches installed, and so far, it's working fine with the following issues, all in Shandalar:

1) As someone else reported earlier, the last line of text displayed on certain screens (talking to Wise Man in towns, viewing hints about castles) is not visible except for a tiny fraction of a second when clicking to change screens. Any ideas how to fix this? I have a generic video card built onto the motherboard of my PC, so I don't have any special drivers available.

2) Shandalar.exe itself crashes in the White Castle during some random duel. I haven't yet figured out what any common factor might be, except that it occurs during a duel in the White Castle. I'm curious whether anyone else has seen this or other, very similar problems.

3) The Shandalar window is not resizable even though the non-Shandalar Duel window is. I get the feeling that Shandalar is using an earlier version of the Duel code than the Duel executable itself.

Thanks in advance for any constructive suggestions!

Very nice to find this Golden Oldie again, thanks a lot!

So far all comments on how to fix errors have worked and the game runs smoothly on 2 PC's here.

Now I am somewhat dumb ~ yes, I'm a woman, but not blond! ~ and can't get a duel between the two comps going. The machines share an internet connection through a tweaked HUB.

I know I'm asking much, but if anyone could post a step by step explanation of how get this working I would be forever grateful.

Thanks in advance!

~ Hyp ~

About missing text on XP...

I recently change my Win98SE to WinXP. And encounter the same bug: there is no "buy y/n" text, nether last (informational!) line in the Wise Man replies. So because I has MS Application Compatibility Toolkit, I start to experiment with it.

Solution was sample. smile MtG needs only _one_ compatibility fix: NoGdiBatching. No other compatibility modes is needed - nor even "Win2000 mode". Now game works just perfectly: I personally notice only two minor bugs - village screen not appears after any operation (but appears after left click) and intro menues (difficulty and wizard types) too fast for mouse - but it solves with cursor select. smile Hope, it helps...

P.S. I am Russian, so sorry for bad English

P.P.S. ACT avaible freely on MS site.

Originally posted by Shazam187:

Quote:
Well, might as well keep this thread going.

I would like to point out that I own a Microsoft mouse, and I have no problems whatsoever with Deck Editor. Although that doesn't confirm the previous theory, it certainly supports it. I'm not overly techy, but there you go.

Also, I have determined how to edit the decks used in Shandalar. Sadly, I have no place to post these edited decks (as I'm not the type to maintain webspace), so if anybody wanted a copy of the "Extra-hard" version, where the computer plays real decks, and not Oasises and Mishra's War Machine, and you have a small amount of webspace to donate to the cause, I'll be more than happy to send you a copy via e-mail (The whole thing would take up no more than 220k)

I can get more into that theorum if people so desire, but maybe I'm the only crazy person who wants to run the ultra-hard version... smile

Hello, Shazam187. I have just come across this thread through Google, and I registered specifically so that I could ask you to clarify on how you edited the decks in Shandalar. I would like to do this as well. Also, any other information you have on how to edit (i.e. "mod") Shandalar would be very welcome. Is it possible to create new cards (or ones from other sets not in the game)? I can be reached at t74bdg89@yahoo.com. Thanks in advance.

2technetium:

I am not Shazam187, but I can answer about editing...

1. All Shandalar decks is in /decks directory and is in plain text format. So any text editor will be usable. smile

2. Format of deck is, string by string:

Name (don't touch it)

Empty string

Card strings (any number of srings) in format:

2.1. Card number in format ".xxxx", where xxx is appropriate number from the base. For example ".239" for Swamp

2.2. Quantity of such card in deck

2.3. Name of the card from the same database. I don't know, what if I take number from one card and name from another.

3. Database is integrated into game, so you _can't_ edit it - at least, if you don't write you own edit program. And of course program code must be rewritten manually too. I believe, author of 1.32 patch understood this base, because his patch did some such fixes, but where he is?

Reference database is free avaible in the program folder - I believe it is master.csv. This is plain text file too, and can be viewed in any text editor. Tinkering with it have no sense - I believe, game itself not use it. It have many entries, that never seen in the real game - and I don't know how to view it...

4. All card art is integrated into one file - smallart.cat and medart.cat for 640 and 800 modes. In the /cardart directory.

That's all that I know. smile

Yesterday I did some research of MtG card base. This is results:

1. MPS card base consist of 1000 entries exactly. Cards have numbers from 0 to 999.

2. You _can_ include into your deck _any_ card from this range, by simply writing desirable number directly into target .dck-file. But there is some sadly limitations:

2.1. Any card, that is not in "official" list (that can't be added legally) makes deck illegal - you can only view it into deck builder, not play with it

2.2. Not all cards from range is actual cards. Some cards used in the game is "dummy" cards for effects, so it will be "empty" cards, when added. Card 999 is "null" card, and viewing it results into crash of game.

2.3. Actual name of card (like a "swamp") doesn't matter, only number counts. You can include in the file ten strings with text "swamp", but different card numbers - and after loading deck in the deck editor cards will be have its real names. And if you decide to save this deck, all cards regain its actual names, replacing original "fake swamps".

2.4. No deck can have more then 200 different cards. Any exceeding cards will be ignored after load.

3. You can make for you sample deck and than tinkering with it by adding or replacing strings in the text editor and make as much copies of file as you want. But name of deck taken from comment strings, not from .dck file name, so it is possible to have ten decks "Sample" in the list, if you forget to change each internal deck name after making ten different copies.

That's truly all, that I was able to extract from "Deck making" procedure without special instruments. smile