Compatible Support Forums
fredinator

Magic the Gathering on XP

Yeah, I was just wondering how i can get MTG and Spells of the ancients installed on my XP computer and not have it come up with an error without having to download anything above 1 or 2 megabytes? lol. My download speed sucks. Just wondering.

Peace.

-Faceless Joe

2 Facetline

Did you haven't Download Managers that can _continue_ download after break? Opera have one internal, and there is FlashGet, ReGet and GetRight... (first two solution can be free, others costs).

Hello all,

This is Nils Devine, I run the MtG Blog (bottom-left under "Play").

A visitor to my site recently sent me some Window XP compatibility instructions, but I still run Win2K. I have posted the instructions to my website, but I have yet to verify them on a Windows XP machine. If anybody would like to try them (at your own risk of course) and let me know if it worked that would be excellent. Here they are:

Windows XP Instructions

I would also invite anybody who would like to, to Submit a Deck.

Hi,

As so many others before me, I have the problem that I can't edit my deck. Some of you have solved this problem, but I simply cannot. Can anyone give me any detailed descriptions of how I can solve my problem?. I really reall really hope so. In fact, I will rewrd the one who gives me a solution I can use with 50$. I really want to play this game.

I can be contacted at Niller3609@ofir.dk

I look forward to hearing from you:-)

Niels

I have question I'd like to pose:

Does anyone know if there are any fan-made updates to add new cards to the game? I love this game, but it stinks to be stuck with the same old cards all the time...

Maybe they sgould think of releasing a new game based on this one...

Hi Guys;

I still like this game and I'm very happy to see there are still many fans around the world. Unfortunally, since Wizards of the Coast are run and promoting Magic: Online, there is no chance on earth they will make any expansion or new cards for this game. This is a sad fact for all of us.

Anyway, for those who can't get the game working in WinXP, you can install Microsoft Virtual PC 2004, then, install Windows 98, and you can install the game and run it properly. This is a Free 45 days trail version of Virtual PC 2004 in Microsoft website. Go try it and let me know whether it works for you.

For those who don't have the game or lost the CDs, there should be a fully ripped games in eight 10MB compressed files in the internet. Go Google it and try your luck. I have the files but it might not be a good idea for me to distribute them.

I hope this info helps.

BTW, does anyone knows how to change the 500 cards limit in your deck library?

@divinentd - I've tried the suggested instructions for making some of the missing text appear on a windows XP machine, but so far I haven't been able to get it to work. In Compatibility Administrator (from toolkit 4.1), on the "Matching Information" screen, I've added all the individual executables, but the instructions don't mention which of the attributes for each program need to be selected. I've tried to create a patch with everything left as-is, and one where "select all" is clicked for each added program. Neither had any effect after installing. I've tried running magic.exe through the "Run" button in Compatibility Administrator and by starting it through windows normal start menu.

@Niller3609 - I've had a problem before where I couldn't edit my deck either. As soon as the edit screen would come up and the cards in my deck were being shown, the program crashed. I figured out that this was due to the screen resolution I was running (see also page 1 of this thread). Starting a new game while running 1920x1200 causes the deck editor to crash. If I change my resolution to 1024x768, start Shandalar again with a new game and try to edit my deck in a town, it works smoothly. I can then save the game, change my resolution back to something a lot bigger and Shandalar will keep working properly.

2 pdubelaar

It's "my" fix, so I want it to work everywhere. smile Let's look into it? smile

Quote:
the instructions don't mention which of the attributes for each program need to be selected

It's because this attributes needed only for system itself, and, I think, it can be keep as is. Only fix itself matters. Maybe you can e-mail to me, so I can try to reproduce situation? spectre(at)mail333.com.

Quote:
I figured out that this was due to the screen resolution I was running

Oh, now it's so obvious... smile I think, it's all due graphic library. It have only three sets of cards and textures: for 640x480, 800 and 1024. And while main "shandalar" can stretch this set to current resolution, it seems "deck" module can't.

Has anyone had any luck getting the tutorial to work. I would like to play with my family over the net but they do not know how to play yet and the tutorial was pretty good. Any help would be appriciatted. Thank you

Originally posted by sullman:

Quote:
Has anyone had any luck getting the tutorial to work. I would like to play with my family over the net but they do not know how to play yet and the tutorial was pretty good. Any help would be appriciatted. Thank you

Hmmm... As I remember, tutorial is simple video... Or not? I'll try this, than post results here.

Originally posted by Smiling Spectre:

Quote:

Quote:

Hmmm... As I remember, tutorial is simple video... Or not? I'll try this, than post results here.

You can play the videos in midea player but they also refrence the interface which is only shown when playing the video's withen the fram of the game. I believe it is a problem with playing the video's with a newer version of macromedia. Not sure.

Steve

Quote:
You can play the videos in midea player but they also refrence the interface which is only shown when playing the video's withen the fram of the game. I believe it is a problem with playing the video's with a newer version of macromedia. Not sure.

Steve

It's vise versa. smile There is old version Macromedia Director in game, that is not compatible with WindowsXP (and tutorial.exe is simply stand-alone macromedia player). All files is in Macromedia Director format, so I think, if you found new MD and try to start tutorial.dxr with it, the tutorial will be fixed. But I'm not sure, so please say, if you succeded. smile

Despite the good advice here, I'm still having trouble getting this thing working on XP. Matter of fact, I can't even get it to appear after I install it. I've tried changing the compatability of magic.exe to win95 and that doesn't do anything either. I double-click on magic.exe and nothing happens at all. Sorry for my ignorance in this matter, and thanks in advance.

Here are the patches: ftp://ftp.microprose.com/patches/mtg/ You need 125a-c.

Here is the link to the toolkit that smiling spectre has mentioned (microsoft checks that your windows is authentic btw) http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/detai...;displaylang=en

I'm having a similar problem. I can get text to load, but no pics. I tried the compatibility fixes through the magic.exe menu as well as the custom fixes using toolkit 4.1. Is it a resolution thing? I tried every setting my lappy has (inc. 1024x768). Any ideas? Paying $100+ for virtual PC software isn't an option. I'm a student after all.

Thanks!

Oh another issue I came across. SSpectre, you mentioned adding 4 files, but Shandalar and Magic.exe are the same for me. I downloaded the v125 patch(es).

So I got this game running.

But it runs SOOOOO fast.

I tried using a slowdown program, but it doesn't seem to help things that much.

can anyone recommend something that they've had success with using ?

I've got a P4 2.8 with 1GB ram...

Any luck on the deck editor only showing Air Elemental, with no text?

Already replaced the empty fonts to no avail, as well as attempting to run in a lesser resolution.

OK, fixed the cards not showing up, it was ObjectDock.

Now for the fonts:

As suggested elsewhere, renameing and replacing the fonts has some positive effect. I suggest that this is not the case, and here is why:

Let's take, for instance, TT0127M_.ttf, opening it reveals Benguiat Bk BT. I've replaced it with a Benguiat font, it matters not which one, as you will soon see. So, we've removed the empty offender, and replaced it with a sparkling new font, which we've assuredly found to be in full working order.

We now re-run Deck.exe, and wait. Nothing. Not a scrap.

How can this be?! We've doubled checked and evrything!

We go back out, click on our font, and GASP, it's changed back to the original font.

Attempting to write protect it (take THAT Windows!) shows us how much we underestimated the re-writing power of Deck.exe.

A fix perchance?

NINJA EDIT 2, for posterity.

After a reboot, the mysterious font issue has righted itself, so I can now edit decks, full text and all.

NOW!

Is there a way to slow the game down, oh, just a smidge?

[Edited by CeanD on 2006-04-15 06:00:53]

[Edited by CeanD on 2006-04-15 06:42:46]

For all those looking to slow the game down, try cpukiller3, it eats CPU cycles to effectivley slow your machine down to the point the game is playable again.

Ok, so I'm incredibly frustrated with this whole thing. I bought MTG duels, and what a surprise, it don't work on xp... I've searched for hours now and came across this forum. I had to sign up to ask a question because it looks like nobody else has asked recently. Where do you download the games since the underdogs are no longer shareing the link? I've gotta play the game, Iv'e not played in years

2Berley819

2AJPLeBlanc

2CeanD

It seems, you not read this thread carefully. wink For any _good_ results with MtG all of you are needed manalink patch 1.32. It can be found in many places, but underdogs is first, that came in mind. Yes, it fixes speed issues. smile But (bad thing) for all versions before 3.0 it needs manalink itself :| Approx. 60Mb, it must be on MPS ftp. As full underdogs' rip is 75Mb, I suggest it. When it will be available again (now!). smile

2floppykat

Underdogs repeatedly hide link and places it back again. But not file itself. So if you catch direct link once, you will be know always, where to get it. smile No, I won't to give it here, in public place, due to respect to Underdogs' policy. smile BTW _now_ it's available. Hurry up! smile

hello

during the game i can't buy any card (in the villages), why ???

(i click in the card and then the card is amplified, but nothing hapens...)

can someone help me ?

Hello,

I am one of the ones that had problems with the deck editor as well. Only one blue card appeared (elemental?). I am running XP pro here at the house and at work. Running the game from over at underdogs. Works excellent at work, only had the problem at home.

I am using a Logitech LX 500 wireless mouse/keyboard desktop. I tried up[censored] to the latest Logitech driver/SetPoint... no go on that attempt. Once I remove SetPoint from memory the editor runs fine now. I can unload it to play the game and reload once I am done. I haven't tried Shandalar. More interested in dueling and deckbuilding. I especially like the sealed deck tourney. You have to run with what you're given.

My 2 cent fix.

Rekh

I have the original 3 discs that I purchased back in 97 (and when they came out) and am looking to play. I also kept seeing that there was a download that took everything into account to play on XP. The underdogs link I get keeps bringing me to a search page. Am I doing somwthing wrong? Is there a way to get this file from someone?

Darmanian