Compatible Support Forums
fredinator

Magic the Gathering on XP

I do have windows XP Sp1 and I did once have a problem with the missing text and I think that it was caused with using one of the mana link patches. What I described above is how I got it to work. Yeah so like I said I think that when I used the Patch (not sure which one) I didn't have any text.

madcookie83

It's not answer, that I want. smile And I want answer on this question: you a) Install Underdogs version (it have patch 1.32 installed already smile and B) do nothing else, yes? And question is: do you see all that missing "Buy this card Y/N", "Magic XXX is can be found in the city YYY" and so on? Without ACT fix?

I got mine from Underdogs, I installed it the way that I said prevsiously and I don't have any missing text at all. I didn't mess with anything else this time, last time I tried messing with Mana Link Patches and that's when I lost the text, so all you need to do is get from underdogs or wherever, install it the way that I said before, and away yo go!

I have those missing texts (appears to be fonts being invisible problem?) problem and now my MtG crashes every time I enter in combat.

I had the game working pretty well before, but stupid me wanted to cards be shown at Deck Editor in shandalar, so I started to mess around with my MtG (ie. following your guides how to make it work).

Do you guys who has this working see any fonts in files Tt0085m_.ttf and Tt0299m_.ttf if you double click it in Magic folder? (Windows will open it in font preview thingy) I can't see any fonts at all, but all the other files work good. Copying other font to replace these doesn't work at all either. I figured that it might be because of some kind of font cache thingy in Windows XP but after reading some threads changing font size in display settings should reset the cache, that didn't help at all.

My suggestion to all new comers trying this is to get that Underdog version, install it and don't touch it afterwards if it mostly works =).

EDIT: Now I see that someone just earlier said that he got this working just by replacing those two font files with new ones from original game CD, I have to test that out if I find the CD and it still works (it was in my car without case at some point for some time frown )

I followed that one guy who said that using Virtual PC 2004 for running MtG works, and he was right. Easiest solution to that problem. =)

So, yeah, finally got the game downloaded and everything, got the missing text stuff, but I don't really care.

I open up a .txt file (the one that shows the cards and abilities and stuff) and I see cards from the game along with tons of others that aren't in the game (such as the gold cards from legends.)

I'm also seeing templates (in .pic form) for the gold cards and land templates from various sets (such as the ice age lands).

Just wondering, is there any way to get these other cards implemented into the game somehow, so we can get to play with them and see the other templates? Thanks.

Could anyone post a method for connecting through a LAN with this?

Faceltine, unfortunately, all enabled cards ends with patch 1.32. You can _see_ several of others (all listed in legacy.csv, actually) in the Deck Builder if you manually replace card code in text deck file with code, listed in legacy. But all this "additional" cards is invalid for game - your "new" deck simply don't appears in it.

grepWhat's the problem? smile Simply change ManaLink protocol (with right click on it's icon) to TCP/IP. And, of course, you need it on both machines. smile

As of late, I have been experiencing the Deck Builder problem on my bro's XP laptop. It worked fine, up until three nights ago.

I fire up Deck Builder, and only Air Elemental shows in the bottom section. I fire up Shandalar, and bought cards don't show up as well. I have to move them in with the "Move Cards of Color" option, and even then, I can't move nonbasic lands.

I've looked at the past 6 pages and can't seem to find an answer. So is there anything I can do to restore the game to normal? (I've had to reinstall the game six times with no luck.) Thanks in advance.

About 24614623 people ask about the Air Elemental Bug. I have no idea why this happens, and have read about 3432.34 ways to fix it that don't work. But, people seem to nail processes, and it works. but i read somewhere something that worked for me.

SOLUTION TO WHEN YOU CANT SEE ANYTHING IN DECK BUILDER EXCEPT AIR ELEMENTAL, AND/OR CANT EDIT YOUR DECKS IN SHANDALAR:

Start > Run > msconfig > Startup Tab > Disable All, then restart your computer.

That will get rid of all non-vital processes, and it seems to work. I read somewhere that this might work because the old game tries to use some virtual memory space or something that some processes use. I'm no techie, but this worked.

But, here's my problem: I thought all would be well once i could edit my decks in shandalar. It was exciting, and then i went to my first duel. "Duel this Witch or Pay 40 gold" I click on Duel this Witch, and the game freezes, it stops, it hangs, whichever term you like best. Then when i go to Task Manager to end program, then the coin flips only the next instant to be terminated by the task manager. this happens whenever i try it. Please help. I've seen this posted in a few places but no one has responded yet.

So here I am bringing back the oldest thread EVER... 2003 I think? Okay, well... I played Magic on my last XP machine and just got around to reinstalling it on my new laptop. Of course it's also XP...

Anyway, ran into an error I've never run into. I used to have the problem where the card text or art wouldn't show up and I know how to fix that. However this time around everything in the game works fine EXCEPT if I use deckbuilder or try to go into deckbuilder in Shandalar the game notifies me of an error and closes.

I've installed the manalink patch and tried killing a few possibly problematic processes but it didn't help. I also tried running without or with different compatibilities. Also not helping. Does anyone have any advice for me? I would be REALLY grateful. Coming from someone who played this game since it originally came out.

-Liz

Overthere42

You are lucky. wink Your approach to kill processes have strong chance to succeded, but not guaranteed. smile

Actually, Air Elemental Bug produced by somewhat process, interfere with MtG. But determine will it be "user" process or "service" virtually impossible. So there is only one way, that always give you result: killing one by one every user programs and every non-microsoft process until success. smile

About coins animation - it's simple AVI-file. (Two files - DuelArt/Cointoss_Heads.avi and Cointoss_Tails.avi to be accurate). Maybe there is something with this files or it's decoder in the your system? Can it be played separately?

lucksong Did you try to change resolution down to 1024x768? wink

I strongly recommend to download Application Compatibility Toolkit (from Microsoft, it's free), then take my "ACT patch" from Nils Devine page - it's kills almost every bug, remains after patch 1.32. Air Elemental bug remains, though. I haven't it, so I can't try to eliminate it. %)

Smiling Spectre: You had a lot to say about the air elemental bug, lol thx, i dont really know anything what im talking about when it comes to in depth techie stuff.

But! you dont have an answer for my hang when i try to duel something? frown

I have been following this thread for a long time now.

First off, I would like to thank all the people that got involved here for helping me to get this game running.

I am running XP SP2, and the game runs fine at 1024x768.

I just recently installed a new Logitech wireless mouse, and ended up with the "one card in the deck builder" problem. I didn't realize what the problem was, until I checked this thread again.

The files that Logitech installed on my system, and that caused the problems are:

khalmnpr

tcaudiag

These were found through "MSconfig/Startup".

I unchecked both of these, and I am up and running again.

So, I'm another satisfied customer (even though I didnt post the first time). :P

Overthere42, I ask again: did you try to play this avis separately? As I think, program uses file magvid.dll (do you have it in the Magic directory?), that in turn uses system file avifil32.dll from windows/system32 directory, and this is standard Windows library for AVI. So there is chain:

1. Avi files itself. Check it. Check, if it exists at all and if it can be played by, say, Windows Media Player. It must.

2. File magvid.dll. It must be. smile

3. File avifil32.dll in the Windows/System32. It must be too. I think, this is double check from p.1, but I cannot be sure.

If all above is right... Then I don't know. %) Now. smile

Hey SmilingSpectre, I did actually check on all those things now, and... it still doesn't work lol. Thanks for your efforts, but i understand you dont know anymore than that. If anyone else has an idea how to fix a bug where shandalar hangs when you go to start a duel with a random computer character, a reply would be greatly appreciated smile

Overthere42, stop! I re-read your post, and it seems, I understand your problem wrong. I think, it was video problem with coin animation... No? Ok, please, say again, what program freezes, and what you do?

And did you try my ACT fix? It seems have no relation to your problem, but who knows? smile

I also had this problem. For me it is something with 'ATI Tay Tools'.

When I close that program the problem goes away. This happens on more than one computer. I suspect the issue is with some programs that put an icon and/or functions from the 'tray' area on the task bar. You might try closing program in the tray area and see what happens.

Good luck!

When I move the manalink box to the bottom right hand corner at 1600x1200 and then exit the game the box will go away and never come back if I run the game at any of the resolutions supported by the game. The only solution is to reinstall. Is there a fix for this?

I'm using the latest unofficial patch.

-Ryan P. Fialcowitz