Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cryodude

WinXP 'nv4_disp.dll' Infinite Loop Crash

Anyone else getting this BSOD in XP?

Seems to be driver related. Anything other than the native Geforce (12.40) drivers eventually will crash XP with WinXP 'nv4_disp.dll' Infinite Loop message.

Any ideas would be appreciated

It happens at stock speeds also, not just overclocking. Have also tried raid and non raid with same results.

Have seen this in other threads, but have yet to find a solution

system specs are as follows:

A7V133A - OCZ Gladiator

512 PC 133 Mushkin (Cas 2)

Win XP Pro

1.4 @ 1575 (10.5 * 150)

Hercules Prophet Pro (230/460)

Raid 0 (2-WD 40 ATA 100's)

2 - WD 60 ATA 66 (mp3 drives)

Plexwriter 12/10/32A

Intel Phoneline Nic - Slot 2

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz - Slot 3

Linksys Ethernet - Slot 4

Altec ADA 305s (USB)

Cooler Guys Gamer Case

I had this problem with RC2 but have not had it with the final release (2600). I use the drivers included in WinXP since none of the other ones will install without an error....

Ed

I've been having these problems too, with GeForce2 as well as GeForce3 (so at least I know it's not the hardware). Haven't tried the native WinXP drivers, because they run like a dog on my system (about 1-2 FPS!) - have tried the 21.x drivers, as well as the drivers that came with the video card (no idea what version these are, possibly 14.x?).

I guess the only thing we can do is keep submitting error reports to MS; apparently each time an error report for a particular piece of hardware is reported, MS send a message to the manufacturer - so the more errors, the more messages nVidia get!!

It's a shame, because I'd always thought that nVidia wrote fairly decent drivers (at least better than ATi or others of that ilk...)

AndyF

i know exactly how you feel, my friend Cody (pimpin_228 here on the forum) has the same problem with EVERY driver

I have the same problem with all detonators. Problem was in W2k and still existing in winXP. I have Duron 800, GF MX400 (Gigabyte) and VIA KT133 (Abit KT7).

Doesn't solve the problem of why Alec seem to be the only person who's got this update!

AndyF

I've just checked the MS Support pages, and they recommend sliding the hardware acceleration slider all the way to zero...yeah, right, like I'm going to do that with my kick-a*s GeForce3!!!

I'll just have to suffer until someone else comes up with a more sensible solution.

AndyF

Quote:

Thanks for the offer Alec, but looks like BadBoy has found a solution to the problem here

Rgds
AndyF

Can anyone verify that this works and also, can the file for the GF3 be used on a Gf2MX-400?

I have followed BadBoy's instructions, and got the update OK.

From what I can see, they are nVidia Detonators, with Microsoft's name on them instead of nVidia's - the file names are the same as the nVidia filenames.

I can't see what harm it would do to try and install these drivers for GeForce2MX's or whatever.

AndyF

AndyF

You were right. Downloaded, detected and installed correctly for GF2gts. No probs so far. Inf loop gone. smile

vampy

Have done the same for the gf2 Pro

It detected my card also as normal

They show to be 15.20 Nvidia drivers

did a quick bench with the card overclocked 15% and at stock speeds. Both clock speeds are a hundred points or so less(not bad). They are comparable to the 2183's and 88's as far as I can tell so far and are a far cry from the default XP drivers.

I'll take the slight hit for the cure!

We shall see.......

Wonder why Windows update didn't recognize this at first(hehe....surely not a windows bug)

Thanks for the info guys!

8)

Yeah i am having the same problems but is there anyway i can download them from a site or someplace cause that woould be a big help if someone could give me a link to the files because this bsod loop crash thing is pissing me off

Well...........I spoke too soon...... still getting the crash

Went back to the stock XP 1240's and of course all is well and slower

If anybody figures this out...... clue me in.

Tempted to go buy one of the new Radeons and throw this one in the trash where it belongs frown

this is a VIA/(Bill Gates is Satan)XP/Nvidia problem.....in which they will all blame the other! This never happened with the same board...same cards with NT, Win2K, 98 or WINME./....hmmmm

I have logged this problem over 100 times since installation. I have been home with a sick kid...so I've had the time

Wish I had your problems, Cryo. I cant even get the 1240 drivers to work. Argh. d/ling the 2250s (from www.icrontic.com ) right now to see if they make a difference.

I'll let you all know.

mad Damn Microsoft.

Hehe, bought a ti500 and it crashes more than the gf2 Pro.

This has got out of hand........I'm seeing the problem everywhere

Anyone heard anymore or have any cures for this problem? I am going to reformat(again) back to 9X til they get the problem worked out.

Wonder what I did with that diamond stealth 64vram?

Its still happening occasionaly here!!!!confused

May try the 22.xx drivers. Anyone have any luck?

I seem to be having more luck with the 22.50's. Haven't had the nv4 BSOD for a couple of days...

Will keep you posted...

Well, MS update drivers were worthless, but the 22.80 drivers seem to be the most stable for me. I still get a few BSODs, but not nearly as bad as before. Hopefully more stable drivers are in the works.

Now only see bsod when changing between 3d screensavers with 22.88 drivers...mmmm. Better than it was though! smile

AHA!

people on the same subject.

I STRONGLY urge you to go here and read through, and if possible divert ALL efforts on this problem to THAT forum.

It has been going for AGES, and we have narrowed it down quite a long way. I only request that you read the WHOLE thing (7 pages so far) to get up the same level as we all are. Thanks.

http://www.icronticforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=14427

Thanks for the link to that thread.

I've been EXTREMELY busy for the past 2 weeks and will continue to be for the next 2. So during this time I only have access to my home computer for about 2 days in the week. Due to all the catching up I have to do in Computer stuff during that time I haven't played around with XP for about 2 weeks. ALL of the fixes listed in that thread I tried when I installed the final of XP Pro sometime last month. None of it worked. I haven't bothered with XP since then (although I MIGHT tonight). Oh, It's most definetly not the VIA GART because I switched that out first thing with the 4-in-1's when I experienced the problem. It still happened. Never had this problem with any of the RC's. Also tried with ACP Multi/MPS Multi. (Only reason I list these 2 is because they are scarcely mentioned in the link you posted.)

This is an XP/NVIDIA problem that the 2 companies need to work together on. It's extremely doubtful that we will find a fix.

Well, I'm off to my home to consider on wether on not I should waste my time on the POS that is XP! smile