Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cryodude

WinXP 'nv4_disp.dll' Infinite Loop Crash

As we found in the thread, it's not just limited to nVidia either!

We have a user reporting the problem on a 3dabs Oxygen card, however, I am yet to hear of it on a PCI card (or AGP cards that act like PCI - meaning the 3dfx voodoo/velocity series).

So it is a XP/Full AGP card problem that we are faced with. As we have found, disabling fast writes seems to help, but will not dismiss the whole thing.

i wonder if microsoft check those error reports?

Cheers Dazultra2000: Thanks for the link. Will go and look. Yeah have seen it on an Oxygen card also, which uses Nvidea chipset.

yeah I've been getting this as well.

Each time it happens I send a bug report to Microsoft, and fill in my contact details so they can get back to me.

However most times their website packs up so I've only been able to give my contact details for 3.

If you have done this you can check the status of the problem by going to http://oca.microsoft.com/welcome.asp

If everybody always submits the report even if its anonymously then hopefully the pressure will be on to fix it!

Quote:

yeah I've been getting this as well.
Each time it happens I send a bug report to Microsoft, and fill in my contact details so they can get back to me.

After only 8 weeks I have changed my first graphiccard with Nvidia-Chipset Geforce 2 MX400 to an ATI Radeon 7500 and all problems are gone.

i'm a voodoo3 user and i'm getting the infinite loop problem. any solutions for this issue???

Cryodude - yeah it also happens on gf3s i have a elsa 920 and i only get it with the 22.* series of drivers. the problem doesnt happen any other time.

Tom

I started having this after up[censored] the bios on my MB(Abit KT7-Raid.I Remembered having a similar problem with a Bios upgrade while running Win 98 and I fixed it by Changeing the AGP Driving Strength Signal in my Bios.I have Hercules 3 Prophett II Ultra 64.Set my AGP Driving Strength to E7 and havent had the error since.Hope this helps someone out there. smile

I just started a new post on this, but forgot to search. smile

One question: Has anyone asked about soundcard conflicts in all of this? You guys know a hell of a lot more than me, but I thought I had this problem ONLY in Max Payne. (Turned out to be wrong...) But, I could make it happen all the time when playing that game. I tried taking out my soundcard...NO BSOD. So I thought there was a soundcard/video card conflict only in this game. Do the people that don't have problems have a Soundblaster soundcard?

Maybe if you post the soundcard you use, we could narrow it down. I am using a SoundBlater Live! 5.1 X-Gamer.

Another idea, at least...

Brad

I want you to try the 23.10 detonators (if you have an nvidia gfx card) as it seems to have fixed my problem, as well as quite a few others.

Also, VIA have reported that they have found a fix in the BIOS code, and are testing it extensively now to sort it out. If all goes well, we can expect BIOS updates with the fix shortly...but for now, try the 23.10s

yeah tried the 23.10's worked with no problems looks like i have bypassed the 22.X's

Tom

I just updated my SBLive drivers with the new ones that are now out. And switched to the 23.10 Dets. Now, I didn't get the BSOD in Max Payne, BUT it did freeze....just didn't get the error message....oh well.

Brad

Hey Dazultra smile

I was just logging in here to tell everyone about the planned BIOS updates from VIA to fix this thing, and guess what, I found you beat me to it. smile

Its good to see some people from Icrontic here also.

:P

Yep, with the 22.80's and 23.10's the computer locks but the cursor can still be moved. No blue screen but the computer is locked.

Exactly, dosfreak.

This problem is getting WORSE instead of better!!!! I ONLY had this problem when playing Max Payne at first. In an effort to fix that, I started getting the BSODs in Windows when not playing games - just out of the blue. It was infrequent, but bothersome nonetheless. Now, I get them ALL the time when I play Madden NFL 2002. It is starting to piss me off.......WHY?!?!?!?! Don't tell me I'm gonna have to install Windows 98SE. This is bullshit. I just want it to work!!!!!!!

Brad

I'd recommend a 2000/XP dual-boot. XP will need a long while for it's problems to be ironed out. Oddly enough mainly because it's so similar to 2000! smile

Last time I tried Madden 2002 in Windows 2000 the menu options would cycle extremely fast with no way to pick them. heh. smile

Sorry for my english i'm french ;(

try this, i had this problem on WIn XP with Geforce 2 TI leadtek with MSI mainboard with VIA chipset.

I have install 21.83 detonator, via 4in1 and i have in BIOS VIA.

Put off the AGP *4, i have put *2 and i works but power decrease mad but i work (only 50img/s on Unreal tournament)...

But on win2K with 21.83 with AGP *4 it work confused (110 img/s)

it's AGP VIA/XP nividia incompatibility

Waza,

I think I've done it all, and I just tried your suggestions. It didn't work. Thanks for trying though.

I set it to 2x instead of 4x,

installed VIA AGP drivers,

installed VIA 4in1 drivers,

and used the 21.83 drivers.

Brad