Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Asylum

WIN2k(rc 2128) Quake3 and SMP

Hell ya.. shot me that url when you get it up.. and if you ever use icq.. drop me a line..

All the guys in my office are bustin a nut over those specs..

Well i know what is the topic.

I have Win 2000 RC2 running Q3A with SMP.

It runs Great!!! i can feel the difference !!

only problem is with the gamma on the game... the control wont work at all.

but right now.. if there gonna be any improvements in win 2000 to manage the game i will like it too.

Sorry... if my opinion is not about the topic... : )

PS: im talking about Q3A,SMP and Win2000 in both post.

peaje: I don't have any doubt that you had quake3 running under winNT 4.0 with smp, But my guess is that you are confused about the result you posted with Win2k and smp with quake3. If you got it to work, then you are the first person on the planet to do so. Here is my guess, you may have had two processors running under win2k, you may also have played quake3 with that setup, but I don't think you had smp turned on in quake 3. Because if you did, you would know that it just crashes out reguardless of your setup. And if I am saying something wrong here, I hope that some one corrects me.

Later.

Detonator for Win2k 5:01 AM (your time) Billy "Wicked" Wilson

NT Compatible's Philipp E. sends word that Asus has posted new 3.56 Detonator drivers for Windows 2000. These drivers support: NVIDIA RIVA TNT, NVIDIA RIVA TNT2, NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Pro, NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Ultra, NVIDIA Vanta, NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 and NVIDIA GeForce 256.

Just snagged this from bluesnews. Someone want to try these drivers with win2k/smp/quake3 and tell us all what happeneds. I would but one of my processors is in my wifes computer right now.

later.

i just installed the new drivers but i had no success in getting q3 to run with smp on win2k frown.gif.... it didn't even start on single cpu, hangs on loading the map or when starting the game with a white screen..

with smp it is same as on the drivers before, it hangs on the main menu playing same sound again and again frown.gif let's hope the final demo gets ou soon

Thanks theek..

Hopefully smp works with the demo, or with the final release of win2k first quarter of next year.

well right now im running dual PII 300s with 256MB,UW Scsi, and a voodoo banshee (sucks!)

getting my GeForce next week, and reinstalling NT and 2000, in hopes that SMP will function.

In about a month i will be upgrading to DUAL PII XEONS with 2MB of Cache, which wont cost as much as retail. 5000$ (incl motherboard retail.) mine will be MUCH cheaper, kinda curious about how weel Quake 3 will run then. Any ideas? i will let you know when its done

tahoecomp

Juses, everyone is running around with these bad ass machines. Your making me feel like my dual 400 is just not going to cut it anymore. Anyway, about the extra L2 cache, my guess is that it will have no influence on quake3 preformance. L2 comes into play when accessing databases, info flies in and out of L2 so fast in quake3 and games in general that there probably won't be any benefit from the size increase. But then again I have never even played around with a xeon, so I might be wrong.

I hope you post some benchmarks soon.

Later.

I am having the exact same problem as some of you. I have a Dual P2 300 (SCSI, Voodoo3, Win2k RC2 and...

Quake3 won't go. When it attempts to start up, I get an error saying that it could not load up GL environment - From what I saw, GL drivers came with Windows2000 for my Voodoo3 and no matter how old of drivers I attempt to install in win2k it keeps on rejecting the GL (I've tried glsetup, 3dfx drivers for nt4, minigl) etc, etc.

Just won't go. I've been searching the web for two days now, but no go. I just want to frag someone already!

------------------

-Vlad

The problem you are having is not because of smp. Quake3 doesn't go into smp mode until set in the console. Quake3 will run on an smp machine just fine, it just won't run in smp mode. You do get some what of an increase in preformance while useing smp in or os(and not in quake3), this is due to the fact the the other system tasks are taken by one processor, leaving the other processor for just quake3. This isn't exact the truth but is close enough. The problems that you are having is with the driver you are useing. Instead of trying older drivers, try the newest. Also check the win2k hardware section of this bbs. I am sure you will find more answers there.

Later, and good luck.

I am running dual 366 Celerons at 566MHz (103 FSB) on the Epox KP6-BS, 256Mb SDRAM and Sound Blaster PCI 128 etc.

Quake 3 SMP (R_SMP set to 1 & restart Q3)

NT4 (SP6) - Runs with no problems at all for days on end.

Win 2000 RC2 - Game hangs instantly.

but...

Win 2000 RC2 (R_SMP at default value of 0) Quake 3 runs, but still crashes after a few minutes. Other games show similar behaviour. This happens even at default CPU speed, I even tried two Celeron 400's that have never been overclocked and I know are reliable. I just think Windows 2000 has a little while to go yet before it will be the OS we all want it to be. Until then its NT4 all the way.

Hey guys.. We have a new version of quake3 to test with smp. Since my system is not running smp right now. Does someone want to try smp with the new demo and post the results for the rest of us lazy bastards..

Later..

I had a strange SMP experience last night.

I was using the Nvidia 3.53 Win2000 Drivers on RC2. I have a TNT2.

I played five consequitive demos in smp mode and it worked, but I got the process has locked pages blue screen when I changed screen mode after the demos.

So I restarted after installing the NT4 3.53 Nvidia drivers, hoping for a more stable OpenGL.

Then Q3 wouldn't boot with the r_smp 1!

Had to go to bed after that, but it looks like it might be at least closer to working!

More testing tonight I feel!

Quake3 SMP works!

Win2k-2167 Creative Labs UTNT2 w/Nvidia 3.53, those 3.56 ones suck! and a SuperMicro P6DBS p2400x2 smile.gif

Much smoother I must say smile.gif

Randomer-

I take it your useing quake3 demotest 1.09, Nvidia 3.53, Win2k(rc2), and smp 1. Is this correct?

Yes it does seem to work, although not 100% reliably. You can now at least play as many games as you want in one session - previously it would bluescreen trying to start the second game.

I use build 2151, TNT2 with Nvidia 3.53 driver using the NT4 3.53 nvopengl file.

Using the new (1.09) build of Q3.

It works and plays fine, but after one SMP session of Quake3, quiting to the desktop and then restarting a second SMP session leads to the familiar "Process has locked pages" bluescreen.

I also got that bluescreen once when I started the game from a clean boot. Seems to not like starting a single player game from the menus on my PC (q3dm17 in particular), but seems happy enough starting a map from the console.

So it aint fixed - but it is now working if you are careful!

Good luck guys!

This is too sweet as they say in WCW. Someone needs to slap up some bench's with and without smp, so we can see what the preformance difference is! I think I am going to have to pull my extra processor out of the wifes machine to get smp up again. Thanks to all of you that have been submiting info at my request.

Later.

I have these benchmarks. They are from memory so may be 1 frame or so out.

All tests done in high quality mode settings with resolution the only change for 640x480 tests. Tests done in Q3 1.09 on demo001.dem

640x480 - SMP 0 - 47fps

640x480 - SMP 1 - 61fps

800x600 - SMP 0 - 41fps

800x600 - SMP 1 - 45fps

So I am starting to be card limited at 800x600. Need that GeForce DDR smile.gif

By the way I am running 2 Celerons 366@528 on the ABit BP6. Video Card is a TNT2@160/166.

I need more numbers and info folks.

Cant get my SMP Q3 stable.

Anyone else got any info or reports?

PLEASE!!

Alright boys and girls. I did a little testing this last Friday. Dual p2 400's 450 MB RAM, and a tnt2 card(3.53). Useing quake3 1.09, and rc3 I thought we had a winner. SMP mode worked with no problem, I was suprised that everything other then the install of the drivers went smooth. Now to the benchs, which will cover all 3 of my machines. I will post just the best results for each machine.

Machine 1 P2 400 with sli voodoo2's 128 MB RAM Win98se

640x480 Normal settings, 3dicons 0 simpleitems 1 drawattacker 0

54.6 fps

Machine 2 P2 400 with tnt1(3.53) 128 MB RAM Win98se

640x480 Fastest settings, 3dicons 0 simpleitems 1 drawattacker 0

79.8 fps

Machine 3 dual p2 400 tnt2(3.53) 450 MB RAM Win2k rc3

640x480 Fastest settings, 3dicons 0 simpleitems 1 drawattacker 0

640x480 Normal settings, 3dicons 0 simpleitems 1 drawattacker 0

Conclusion

I have found that the voodoo cards run with more options on with less of a hit to fps. Where the TNT cards tend to run extremely fast with all options off. I was disappointed in the Dual machine, both of my other machines pounded it in every way except load time, must be the ****load of ram. There is article on thresh's firing squad that confirms what I found with SMP, and that is that you don't gain much. If anything, dual processor machines would mack great servers, but your better off buying a processor twice as fast rather then two at half the speed. If you disagree, tell me about, and post some benchs.

Later..

Wouldn't a more interesting test be to do timedemo's with and without r_smp turned on, using only the dual CPU machine ? What possible relevance are figures from your other two machines ?

------------------

Andy Duplain <andy@trojanco.demon.co.uk>