Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pimpin_228

battle of the computers

I have a GF2 GTS, and a 1.466 ghz Tbird after OC

but I just went out and bought a V3 3500 for 30 bucks. shipped.

gonna use it in a Linux box for my TV.

the Voodoo 3 is a card that everyone should have, if only as a spare. it's a robust card with many MANY drivers available to it, and tons of tweaks for it as well.

No kidding! I can overclock that sucker to 182MHz and not see any artifacting. The Voodoo 4 that I had could only go up to 177MHz tops or Id have lockups. The last 2 voodoo cards were nothing extrodinary in comparison with the Voodoo 3. Oh sure, they had more memory, but that was pretty much it. Not even TV out frown . 3dfx said they didnt see too many consumers wanting that item...but a lot of GeForce2-based cards have some sort of video connection.

I know its definitely not the fastest thing on the block, but its definitely a good performer. I had that card when it was the top one. laugh Even if I put in a different card, I think I'll still keep it.

Just random thoughts...

got an old voodoo3 2000 pci here, pretty good card, runs q3 at 46fps on a 333@416mhz p2 and 128mb ram.

Finally!!

I finally was able to get my P3 on my Tyan Trinity 400 to overclock. I had tried the 138MHz FSB, and no go.

When I finally had the smarts to try the 140MHz FSB it would fly. 150 no go, as it would freeze up on me, voltage increase or no. Plus some bios tweaks I hadnt played around with because its my secondary system, and viola! its now at 700MHz and hit 2773 in 3dmark2000. Thats better than before with the psyachadelic 1.07 drivers.

It still runs UT really good.:D And just think its an "old" card.

Hey fellows sorry i was away on vacation but i havn't oc'ed yeti want to wait till i get my new hardrive.but my scores were sh1tty on 2001 they were 925 i don't get it?i think my hardrive is a big problem i dunno but i hope i fix it soonbecause i need to get some better scores. bbut if i overclock i got to get a better fan because i have the super orb but i can't get the bottom fan to work. but how high do you all think i will be able to go with the athlon it's a 850 so i am thinkin 1ghz but i need to get a new fan any ideas what i should get because i want something that will last?:D

Im not sure having a faster cpu will fix your problems.

In bios, try setting the CAS timings/SDRAM timings to 2 instead of 3, and see if that runs stable. That should give you a nice boost.

Also, what video card are you using? Thats a bigger factor than the cpu...trust me.;)

Glad to see you back.

As far as the fan, get a Global Win FOP 38. Im pretty sure that should fit on that Abit board w/o an issue. Just get a 3 pin to 4 pin connector, because the FOP 38 has a major drain on juice.

And make sure you get some good heatsink compound. Look for AMD approved stuff, that will be the best for you.

850MHz Athlon/Duron should hit 1GHz no problem, you may need to bump the voltage up a little to get it stable.

thanks for the info brian. i am running a nividia geforce 2 mx 64 megs. i dunno i think i got a bottle neck though. my hardrive what i think is the problem.okay here is my specs,

mobo:abit kt7a with raid support

processor:amd/athlon/850

ram:mtec/256/pc133

video card:nividia/geforce 2 mx/64 megs

dvd/burner:pc dvd 5x/pacific digital 4x4x16 burner

harddrive:maxtor/8.08/5400rpm

modem:external best data 56.k/v.90

floppy:generic 1.44

power supply:300 watt

network card:generic 10/100

sound card:yamaha

so what do you think could be the problem?

at the end of the month i dunno if i should get a western digital 30.6 harddrive ot a maxtor 20.6 but i think the maxtor is 7200rpm but either one of them or a ibm deskstar 30.6 harddrive 7200rpm what do you think brian

Ive got a 5400rpm maxtor and have been very impressed by it.

I dont put my machine on sleep mode but I do have the monitor and harddrive go on standby after an hour, and my system still wakes up in a few seconds. My other machine has a WD and it takes a little longer to wake up.

Also, pcworld did a test on hard drives and Maxtor came out on top or neck in neck with IBM drives. I would highly recommend those drives, hands down.

I also, have my swap file(pagefile, virtual memory) on its own partition.

Maxtor comes with a very good formatting utility. Just have Win98 startup disk, as you can format to FAT32 right away. Dont use an ME disk as you cant format anything but FAT16.

I use FAT32 instead of NTFS under Win2k, but thats a personal preference. I dont know of any gap in performance, although I believe there is a small difference, but not enough to discourage NTFS. NTFS is for secure files, so you dont really need it if your not holding something like financial stuff or top secrets.

Yeah, the MX should be good enough for anything right now.

Serious Sam can run on that thing smoothly (a fragalicious game to boot!).

Just a 20GB, I havent filled it up more than halfway yet, so a bigger one isnt necessary at this point in time.

Ive installed all the apps I can and still dont need a bigger one. If youve got a lot of mp3s and stuff consider using that older Maxtor as a backup drive for that, at least thats what I would do.

i would just like to have the room wouldn't you i mean 75 gigs that alot but to much money but yea i like maxtor mine has been good to me but i need more space and speed

I think as far as storage is concerned right now, you can get a decent price on a 40GB hard drive at 5400rpm. You probably will pay $20-30 more for the same capacity under a 7200rpm drive. I cant imagine that 40gigs would be too little, but you can buy bigger ones. I dont think 80GB drives are running at 7200rpm yet. Even if youve got a ton of files, definitely keep the old maxtor as a backup or storage for stuff like mp3s that dont need fast access, then you can grap a faster drive and use that for all your games.

I should probably tell you the last time I tried swapping main drives out on my pc under Win2k, it wouldnt boot into it, so even though I copied the stuff over with a utility, it still wouldnt boot and I had to reinstall.:( I even ran the repair option... Just letting you know what you could expect, pimpin.

Thanks brian for that info.yea a 40 gig sounds good too but does maxtor make anything besides a 5400 cause all i have seen is 5400

i was just wondering do they make 7200

Hmm...I dont know. Check their website: http://www.maxtor.com

Update:

Yeah, look at the Diamond Max PLUS, not regular Diamond Max, as the PLUS's have 7200rpm, and you can get 40-45GB ATA100 7200rpm drives.

Brian me and you are the only ones who talk on this subject anymore but o well but i think i have found a new love for a harddrive.

ibm 7200 rpm 75 gig

Whatever works for you, go for it. Not everything works for everyone.

Im just passing along what Ive been doing and gotten to work successfully.;)

Aww Christ

how's this?

the 2 4.5 GB U2W 72k RPM -IBM

an 18 GB U2W 10k RPM -IBM

2 18 GB U160 10k RPM -IBM

a Pioneer 305s 10x/40x Slot-Load DVD Ultra-SCSI

a Plextor 12x10x32s CDRW Ultra-SCSI

all on an Adaptec 39160 Dual-channel Ultra 160 SCSI controller

will that do for now?

Oh, and of course, an Enermax 465 with the fans replaced with Panaflos. smile

I'll skip out on the 15k RPM...maybe do that this winter or something when I need an upgrade to tide me over.

Well nothing special but it'S paid for and run's.

NT 4.0 SP 6A

Assus p3bf board.

256 RAM

PENT 3 600

MATROX G400 32 MEG AGP VIDEO CARD

SOUND BLASTER LIVE

MAXTOR 9 GIG 7200 RPM HARD DRIVE

21 INCH VIEWSONIC PRO

LABTEC SPEEKERS

IBM SCANNER

HP PRINTER

IOMEGA 100 MEG ZIP DRIVE

My two systems:

===========

S_Buffy

===========

Athlon 800 (114x7) MHz (Alpha P7125 cooler)

Abit KA7

2x128Mb Apacer PC-100 Cas2

ASUS V6800 GeForce DDR (150/354) with Golden Orb cooler...

SoundBlaster Live!

Very cheap 10/100Mbit NIC

IBM 75 GXP 30.7Gb DMA66

Fujitsu MPD3173AT 17.3Gb DMA66

32x CD-ROM

4x CD-ROM

AOpen HX08

Windows 2000 Advanced Server, SP1

==========

Server

==========

Intel Pentium OverDrive 125@166 (2,5x66)

Noname AT Motherboard...

64Mb EDO RAM

Matrox MGA 2Mb gfx-card

Currently 3Com Ehterlink III 10Mbit NIC (going to upgrade soon)

Maxtor 1Gb HDD

2x CD-ROM

Windows NT 4.0 Server, SP6a

I saw my old Duron 600 died. Now its gonna be my little trophy, the first cpu I overclocked. It didnt die from overclocking, but from a cracked die.:(

On the other hand, Ive gotten some good hsf that dont crush the die like the cooler masters (they are pretty good coolers) but my chrome orb ripoff and my Global Win Fop 32 dont have that problem, due to good clips.

The Duron 600 now resides on the front of my case.

i dunno what i want at least something to have lots of space with and thanks for the info brian, but hey inferno yea that will do but you don't need much do you to have a server for games

I figured I just pass along some advice: Dont use Norton Utilities!!!!

Most of the programs will screw up your system, and resulting in a reinstall!! Norton Speed Disk is the only program in the NU suite that is safe to use, but Disk Keeper is a better defrag utility.

A word to the wise...

Yea i heard norton can really funk some sh1t up. but what antivirus program should i use cause i have used norton before but i didn't like it

I guess you could try McAfee, but I dont know. Ive always used NAV, becuase that program works fine. Whatever you go with, find out how often they update the antivirus. I know Symantec updates NAV just about every week.

There's PCCillin also...see about a trial and go from there.