Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pimpin_228

battle of the computers

Well i was gonna get the athlon 900,geforce 2 64 meg vid card and a s tick of 256. but i want to know if the 256 is high density it is by micron but what is it. okay i want a new hard drive but what kind should i get?i was thinkin a ibm deskstar or something like that

Well, where are you getting it from. If its from Micron, duh. Micron memory should have MT on the chips. Or you could just ask the guy you're getting it from.

Having a better video card is always a good thing. A GeForce2 MX is a stellar card for the price. The next speed upgrade will probably cost you another $100 to go from a MX to a GTS.

new system specs now

amd ahtlon 850

dfi ak-74 mobo

5x dvd

nvidia geforce 2 mx with tv out

mtec 256 megs of ram pc 133

and everything else is still the same

but i got to get a new mobo because it fried too

Get an Asus A7V or A7V133. Sweet boards, man.

They are a little frustrating to get running, but in the end, its very well worth it. The only really bad thing about the board is the worthless CNR slot on it. Geez, there couldve been another PCI slot or an ISA slot instead.

If you just OC by the FSB, you wont be able to get it completely stable past 113MHz.

But go for the best one in your area.

you know what brian? when i first got on nt, you seemed like you didn't like me and now you're cool a sh1t.but thank you for the info and you too ed

I didnt want to come off as an @ss, but I wanted to make sure you werent trying to pull a stunt to say you had the best computer. The reason for this is because when I joined up, there was this guy who thought his PC was the stuff. Needless to say, the forum swarmed on him. Hes posted once since we put him back in his place. I didnt want you to start one of those.

BTW, ive got a much better OC of my GF2MX. Ive heard the GTS cards might be able to hit 240 on the clocks, but thats it. On both the core and the ram clocks are running 200+ MHz.

As for the A7V, they are kinda expensive ~$150 at least, I paid 189 for it, but I consider that a good trade off in case the board goes bad then you wont be as stuck as if you did it through mail-order. Dont ever get things from Tiger Direct. My dad did, but he never got replacements for them when some parts didnt work.

The A7V may be cheaper since the A7V133 is out now. Id personally suggest looking locally for a new board. I havent heard much about that DFI board, but I have seen seen reviews of the FIC AZ-11e. That is better suited for overclocking than the FIC AZ-11, and is also more stable from what Ive read.

The AZ-11e doesnt have the bells and whistles of the A7V or Abit KT7/A-line, but its gotten some good reviews. smile

Go for the best board that you can afford.

[This message has been edited by Brian Frank (edited 29 March 2001).]

just thought I should mention my 1.1ghz AVHA Tbird(b)is now running at 1400(140x10) at default voltage with no temperature increase from 133x10

thank you

I'll take it higher after I break it in at this speed for a week

I want to stay at 1.5 and not worry...

I saw her once...I wanna see her again laugh

Oh..and this is on an A7V133

[This message has been edited by INFERNO2000 (edited 30 March 2001).]

Well, now the L1 bridge pencil trick isnt critcal to overclocking. The only thing you need to worry about now is having PC133 ram.

Ive heard that the A7V series and the KT7-line are the only ones to fool with if you want the real power. Not to say other boards are bad, but these lines are the pinnacle right now.

Here's to overclocking. smile

BTW, make sure youve got a good HSF to keep your investment from burning up this time.

Apparently, my logic was faulty on my case choice that I picked up today at computer show. I drilled some holes right where a fan inside my case is--dropped the temp a little.

Funny, I thought a bigger case would be a bit cooler. Oh well, I'll just buy more fans then.

Just a word of warning to all cosidering full tower cases.

Hey, Pimpin, hows the computer coming along now?

Well al i need right now is a mobo i am still waitin to get it and that is it but you all don't want to know what i am runnin now but i will tell you

pentium mmx 166

stick of 64

tnt riva 16 m vid card

maxtor hardrive

and everything ewlse is the same

it reallly sucks,but sorry i haven't been on in a couple of days

I dont use any instant messaging, and dont really care to use it anyway...I dont see the point, plus Im out for a lot of the day between work and college, and then I waste my study time here...maybe THAT's why my grades suck. laugh

Well I've just finished a few upgrades on my system, so I'm gonna add the whole spec to the thread!!

And whay not I always say:

ASUS CUSL2 Black Pearl

PIII 1Ghz

512MB RAM (2x 256MB Crucial 2-2-2)

Gainward Ultra500 Golden Sample(GeForce 2 Ultra)

1x IBM 45GB ATA-100, 7200rpm (System Disk)

Promise FastTrak ATA-100 RAID Controller

2x IBM 45GB ATA-100, 7200rpm RAID 0

Adaptec 19160 SCSI Card

Pioneer 32x/6x SCSI DVD-ROM Drive

Yamaha CRW2100S (16x/10x/40x) SCSI CD-RW

Iomega ZIP100 (Internal SCSI)

SB Live! Value

Intel Pro 100 Management NIC

Iiyama Vision Master Pro. 410

All running under the excellent Windows 2000 SP1.

Here's my Duron system: 5326 laugh

My Pentium III system: 2129 frown

On 3DMark2000.

Specs as currently set up below

------------------

Whaazzzupppppppppp!

Asus A7V

Duron 800@912

384MB PC 133 2-2-2

Samsung 48x CD-ROM

Toshiba 12x DVD-ROM

Zip CD650 USB 4/4/6

Zip 100 USB

Maxtor 20.4 GB ATA100 5400RPM

Hercules Prophet II MX (core:210MHz ram:207MHz)

Guillemot Maxi Sound Fortissimo

SIIG 3 port 1394 PCI Adapter

D-Link DFE-530 10/100 NIC

Creative Cambridge Soundworks FPS1000

MS Intellimouse Optical

Kleer 17-inch @ 85Hz 1152x864x32 desktop

Global WIN FOP 38

A ton of fans

Win2k Pro

Pentium III 667

Tyan Trinity 400

320MB SDRAM PC100/133 (mixed)