Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pimpin_228

battle of the computers

Well, now Im working on OCing the ol Duron 800 to 1GHz...yup Eddie, you were right, had to put the lead down thick. Ive got it at 950 MHz right now with no voltage adjustments. Im gonna try to get it to the gigahertz speed...hopefully I can make it. I dont expect more than a 200MHz overclock,but I'll see. Hehehehe. laugh

Oh, yeah!!!!! 1GHz, baby!!!!!!!!!!! laugh

I dont think I push my luck any more for the time being, but I'll see. I might push for 1.1 GHz, but I dont know how much I'll have to bump up the voltage. Ive got a Global Win FOP 38 and it seems to be doing alright, but I probably shouldnt push my luck. wink Oh well...See, Pimpin, how good of a deal you can get with the Durons? Just take care and buy a good cooler--no cheap sh*t, actually spend some good money on one...at least $20, but expect more like $25-$30 for starters. There is one mondo cooler from Swiftech that is $70, but it uses those four holes around the socket to be installed and you have to take your mobo out to put it on, but the cooling is damn good. Check out Toms Hardware for the cooler review.

Where I live, I was able to get my Global Win FOP 38 for $21 + tax, but dont go for some cheapo HSF or you'll be buying ANOTHER cpu, and of course that would suck big time.

Whoops!! Looks like I pushed my luck too far, wont run stable at 1GHz frown Oh well, 950 off of an 800MHz Duron is still pretty good for an overclock.

I wasnt betting on more than a 200MHz overclock in the first place anyhow, so Im not really all that surprised. Oh, well...

And strikeeeeee 3!!!! No go at 950! Damn! Oh well, I put it back to the 904MHz I already got...so close, yet so far...I think Im really to the point where it doesnt do me too much good to overclock much more than this and have a stable system.

isn't it hard to get that damned lead on those little contacts?!! I had a ***** of a time.

Yeah, had to use a magnifier to get it to go, but its all kinda wasted, but at least I know how far I can probably push the ol' Duron and I think Im not gonna get much more and still be stable. Oh well, it was kinda fun just to see it hit 1GHz, too bad I couldnt get it to stay.

I've made mention of the Faraday Systems ColdForge AA-15 a few pages back.

Tomorrow, 4/6/01 , is Cold Friday.

Sadly, it's not yet set for final release, but the final(?) prototype is done and has been shipped.

New pictures of the ColdForge will be posted at

www.hardforum.com (the forums of [H]ardOCP) in the "Cool Cases" section by Stiltner .

If you're as interested as I am in this uuber-kickass case, then..well...there's the latest info.

Yeah, by the pic I saw before its gonna be nice and big, unfortunately, my browser wont stay on it long enough for me to do anything...thanks dad, for trying to change the IP address, now some of MY bookmarked sites wont come up.

I may try to get it to go to 950MHz again and push the voltage up all the way, but Im not holding my breath for this one after what I just saw...but at least I unlocked the multiplier. wink

Okay i got the new mobo but there is a conflict some where. i dunno what or where?

when i plug the floppy ide in it won't start up.okay when i unplug that and plug the ide in for my burner and dvd in won't boot up but if i run the dvd by it's self works i got the dvd set as master and the burner set as slave,but when i had just the dvd in and set as csel it work what do you all think the pro. is?

new system specs

amd-athlon-850

abit-kt7a-raid

mtec 256 megs of ram

genaric 5x dvd

pacific digital 4x burner

yamaha sound card

geforce 2 mx

us robotics modem

do you all see anyconflicts?and it is thursday nite and ed if you see this get on

Make sure the IDE and Floppy ribbons arent cut or stripped ANYWHERE! Also try having the Burner on one IDE channel and the DVD on another. Then have your hard drive hooked up to the RAID (copy the files for the RAID controller over to a floppy).

yea, still got a bottleneck with the damned harddrive, got 2819 3DMarks on 3dmark 2000 with standard tests, gonna try tweaking it later.

Also, look for a little program called RegCompact, I think I got it off of PCWorld's download center... anyway, it compacts the registry and that does a lot for you in speed. Also, get the Disk Keeper 6.0, or the trial and get a for it, as that is the best defragger out there.

Side note: I can get it to run at 950MHz, but I have to set my cas timings to 3 instead of 2, and the performance is slightly less than when Im OC by the FSB and setting my cas to 2. No matter what, I cant get it to boot up properly half the time and if I do, it usually knocks out on me--voltage change or no, still nada.

I still may go to 950 just for the hell of it and then play with the cas settings to see if I can get one of the three settings to 2 instead of 3 and have a stable system.

It'll be interesting...

Oh, yeah!1Gigahertz, baby!!! laugh

Actually 998~999MHz...CLOSE ENOUGH!!!

Unless...does anyone know the 112FSB setting for the 4 dip switches on the Asus A7V (KT133 chipset)?

well i can't help you there but the beast is runnin like a champ it runs qIII like nothin and it is stable but when i first got it runnin it had little problem recanizing the cd rom but it is fine now

Just checkin', cuz the mobo manuals dont always show all the dip switch settings.

Im trying to see how far up I can go before things lock up. I have the ram set to 133MHz so any FSB over 100MHz will raise the ram above 133MHz. Right now Im at a 107MHz FSB and a 9.5 multiplier. This seems to be running okay right now and has the best chance for increasing the bandwith over 1GHz.

No matter how hard I try the limit seems to be 1050MHz, but I'll have to see how close I can get to that w/o crashing.

Bandwith plays a MUCH bigger role than the clock multiplier. Ive run some Sandra memory and cpu benchmarks and it just uses half the available ram and Im on par with the 1GHz T-Bird and P!!! 1GHz. laugh

Bandwith is life!!

Well, we cant all have the same mobo. Oh well, I got it to 1016MHz with just a little voltage bump, any way I try to go past that is just not stable enough and will eventually crash. Mmmmmm...gigahertz! cool

Im trying to get my pc to stay above 5500 in 3dmark 2000...almost there. laugh

Now its finished with a high score in 3dmark 2000 of 5611 laugh

------------------

Whaazzzupppppppppp!

Asus A7V

Duron 800@1016MHz

384MB PC 133

Samsung 48x CD-ROM

Toshiba 12x DVD-ROM

Zip CD650 USB 4/4/6

Zip 100 USB

Maxtor 20.4 GB ATA100 5400RPM

Hercules Prophet II MX (core:220MHz ram:210MHz)

Guillemot Maxi Sound Fortissimo

SIIG 3 port 1394 PCI Adapter

D-Link DFE-530 10/100 NIC

Creative Cambridge Soundworks FPS1000

MS Intellimouse Optical

Kleer 17-inch @ 85Hz 1152x864x32 desktop

Global WIN FOP 38

Win2k Pro

[This message has been edited by Brian Frank (edited 09 April 2001).]