Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pimpin_228

battle of the computers

I can't believe i didn't bother reading this post....i thought it would be another one of those "Why is my system so dope?" threads, but this one is far from that. This is kinda fun. Okay, after many upgrades over the past year, this is what i am using now:

1.) AMD Athlon T-bird 1.2 Ghz.

2.) Asus A7V-133a Mobo

3.) 512 MB PC-133 Micron RAM

4.) Asus V7700 Geforce 2 Pro 64Meg DDR

5.) SBLive!

6.) Western Digital 40 gig ATA-100 7200 RPM

7.) 3Com 3C905B 10/100 Network Adapter

8.) Kenwood True 72x CD-ROM

9.) Sony CD-RW 8/4/32

10.) Enlight ATX case w/300 watt Power Supply

11.) MAG 796FD 17" True Flat Display monitor .25

12.) Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer

13.) Altec Lansing ACS56 Speakers

And thats about it....

[This message has been edited by HarU (edited 22 March 2001).]

Okay do you all think the durons will go to the ghz's i do, cause the rate they are comin out with them i think they will here soon and theywill be cheap about it. but i can sttick with duron 750 for a while but i do want the 850 but for me i think amd all the way. i have had one problem with one i fried it.but other than that they have been good to me.but i think what you like is what you like.

You might be able to, but it depends on the board you got. Also major overclocks usually empower a good HSF that costs a lot. Go check out Toms Hardware Guide http://www.tomshardware.com and look for the Cpu Cooler Review. Some coolers cost as much as $70, and some of those are very loud.

he's got a Super Orb and lotsa thermal grease, i think he might be safe to go 750@950

Go for it.

BTW, just installed DX8 on the ol Duron system. 3dMark2000 score:5135. That DX8 would explain why my dads sytem would get better scores than me before hand.

Inferno2000, whats that ColdForge thing? Sounds like something really cool-literally, but what is it?

Coldforge AA15 is a StiltBuilt (Faraday Systems) case.

it's about 26" tall by 22" deep by 15" wide.

it's a big ol WTX case--it's somewhere between a cube and the addtronics W8500.

All aluminum, and anodized any color you want it.

with the Enermax 330W PSU, it's about 350 bucks, and weighs just 20 lbs.

but it's not been released yet.

here's a link for the picture of a prototype next to the addtronics W8500

http://www.voidyourwarranty.net/reviews/stiltner/images/cf01.jpg

[This message has been edited by INFERNO2000 (edited 24 March 2001).]

Hit me baby! I NEEEEEDDDD that!

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Highest FSB speed Ive gotten to run flawlessly is 114MHz on the KT133 based Asus A7V. Tried increasing the voltage as high as 1.65 volts, but it will still hose up sometime. Would it be worth it to go up another .05 volts or is it time to give that up.

I havent had any success with the lead pencil trick. Is it just across the L1 bridges or both the L1 AND the L2 bridges?

Ive look at article on Anandtech and Toms Hardware, and Im still trying to figure this out.

they're so damned small that its hard to do with a pencil, and you have to get that graphite on there THICK!

i would push the 750 to the ghz's but somethen is messed up i dunno rather the mobo or processor cause when i turn it on

all i get is a blank screen no monitor action nothin what do you all think?

cause whatever you all tell me will help alot

well i reset the bios and set the seting to default but it still doesn't but i tried the processor in a different mobo and it did nothin, and it smelled burnt but owell i am workin on gettin a 850 and i will push it to

1 ghz and ride easy with that.but what i meant by the duron goin to the ghz's was do you think they make them stock 1 ghz's and up

cause the amd 56-2 only went to 550.but i think they will but do you all think i can go to 1 ghz and ride with ease i think i can cause the 750 could go to 900 with ease and i think the 850 will to

AMD is going to be releasing the 900MHz Duron on March27th. This could be the last speed bump for the Duron before the new "Morgan" core which is supposed to come out at 950MHz. Unfortuantely, the current chipsets arent supposed to support the new Duron core or the new Athlon core-Palimino.

Based on the info Ive read, I doubt AMD has underclocked Durons.

If something on your computer smells burnt, thats bad news IMO.

okay i agree but i ain't worried about the processor,cause by the end of the week i will have a duron 850 and a stick of 256 and a hercules video card, but thanks for the imput

forget i said anhything bout the duron i am now gettin a athlon 900, or should i not get it because i want to know the difference or what should i get either duron or athlon?

I pity you, fool for the wrath this forum will bestow upon you. And the fact you dont have broadband. Sucker!

once said by brian frank. i ain't startin nothin but i turned out alright didn't i?

cody - why would you spend the extra $$ on a athlon when you can get a duron 750 for $40 or an 850 for around $70-$80. You're not really gonna notice a speed difference with it anyway, you need to concentrate on a newer, faster harddrive and more ram and vid, forget getting a fast cpu until the rest of the system can handle it, otherwise you'll have a huge bottleneck in your system and the speed and performance will suffer.

[This message has been edited by EddiE314 (edited 27 March 2001).]

Well, if your gonna get a new chip, it might not be a bad idea, but it depends on how much more it is for the T-Bird 900 over the Duron 850. On average, the Duron can pull 90% of the T-Bird. Id say shoot for it, but be a little conservative on the OC this time. Athlons are cheap, but I dont want to buy more parts than necessary. Then with the money you dont spend fixing things, you can buy some newfangled part.

exactly, instead of repairing or upgrading the cpu and mobo every few months, shoot for a balanced system, not a fast CPU.Back when i had dual celeron 400's, i upgraded to dual celeron 500@550's, guess how many seconds got shaved off my boot time.......2! I got about 4-8 extra fps in quake 3 arena and about 10 extra fps with SMP enabled. Not a very big difference huh? you know why it was not that big of difference? udma33 5400rpm hard drive and a voodoo3 2000. As you can see, it wasn't worth it for me to upgrade for just 2 seconds and 10 fps.

Yup. I got a Duron 800-now 904-and incresed some, but when I dropped the $100 on a GF2MX that made the difference...like 2000 (yes 2000) points on 3dmark. Also, if you set your cas and timings to 2t instead of 3t, it can speed up your system a little bit. But the prob is if you dont have ram that can run at that speed, you'll have problems.

Real good advice: GET X-SETUP!

Uhh lets see it: enables nVidia cards clock adjustment feature (works with the 10.80s), encreases efficency, what ever TweakUI does and a whole lot more.

Also, getting the latest bios helps tremendously. Ive got the Asus A7V and updated to the 1007 bios. I had problems fixed that I didnt know were issues with the bios.

Plus, the Bios is FREE! laugh

What can I say, Im a cheap .

And you should be too.

Only upgrade what is going to give you a major bang for the buck.

Remember its the Durons and Celerons and GeForce 2 MX's that make you a damn good box...if you get the right components.