Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boter

Machines.exe not a valid Win32 application

Yes! The patch worked! Thanks, guys. It has been working for me for a few days. But now after a varied time of playing, machines hangs. The music and sound effects still go, but the image is frozen. Windows still responds, because when I press ctrl-alt-del I can see my mouse, but not the task manager window. Does anyone know what is going on with the Acclaim website? When I try to go there it gives me a site under construction thing. Well, I'm going to try and reinstall machines and upgrade all of my drivers to see if it makes a difference.

P.S. I play with my friends over the LAN when they're at my house. On one of the PCs that I use, most of the sound effects work, but some don't. Like the main menu button sounds, and the character talking sounds. Any ideas? Thanks. Oh, and the music still works.

I've found a similar game, "dawn of war".

It's like a "sequel" of machines, look at its web site.

@sloik2000

Do you have the orginal cd's?

P.S.

Acclaims failed :-(

I figured it out. It was just the age and stuff of the PC. Why does the LAN play lag so badly? Is there a way to fix it? Is it a result of the patch? I'm using the IPX protocal, it is said to be faster.

Thanks,

-Sloik

Oh, and by the way. I also think that someone should do a sequel to this game! Hopefully if someone does, they won't mess it up. But this is the best game I have ever played in my ENTIRE life. I am desperate for a sequel with better LAN play and graphics. Oh, and a little better AI smile

We should give some ideas to a game company or something.

Hi all,

Thx for the patch, my son and I both love Machines too.

I'm having problems playing across our LAN though, my computer (XP) freezes up after about 10 mins of play...really annoying.

Some time back I was emailing back and forth with the programmer and he was saying they had great ideas for a sequel but funding wasn't forthcoming sadly.

Lost his addy now too but pretty sure I got it from the web site

Spoke too soon, tried to play a network game again last night and now it won't even load...keeps crashing out at the page with the reaper and loading line...error something to do with memory problem

Listen guys: I keep receiving 2 mails a week from people asking for the patch. I fgured around 50 other people still lurk here and love the game.

Is there someone here being able to set up some kind of board to discuss Machines properly?

A place where discuss strategies, favorite weapons and machines, etc..

Maybe as a community we could even hope to have the source code of the game released (after all, the game is completely dead).

Well, you can join and create account to some free/ad paid message board... for example ProBoards.com. smile

Originally posted by ziggy95:

Quote:
Hi all,

Thx for the patch, my son and I both love Machines too.

I'm having problems playing across our LAN though, my computer (XP) freezes up after about 10 mins of play...really annoying.

That happened to me too for awhile. Although mine seemed a little more random. What I did to fix this was update/reinstall my video drivers, and reinstall Machines.

I can't believe Acclaim went out of business. Me and a couple of my buds once pulled an all-nighter on this game! It's the best, and I have a lot of ideas for a sequel. Yes, we should set up another website for the game. And maybe if the source code is released, we could mod it, and kind of make a sequel out of the first one, just with more features! (And we could add that virus weapon thing.)

Just wish I could find the emails that went back and forth with the writer but think they were on a wiped HDD, he was talking about new races that were planned etc.

At the mo it won't even load so need to uninstall-re-install/update drivers etc.

My fave is that missile you put up on a hill that fires across a map and makes a superbly satisfying sound as it hits home.

Suskis (and Sturreal),

THANK YOU!!! THE PATCH WORKS smile !!!

Your patch from Sturreal's website worked!!! (Sturreal's post on 2005-02-21, required additional software to uncompress RAR file). I upgraded my sons' systems and was quickly informed that Acclaim's Machines would not work... My sons are big Machines lovers... (and as an aging gamer... I kinda watched over there shoulders and agree... MACHINES is a great game as is... The game is worth a sequel... (Can you tell us a little more about the unused graphics/capabilities the programmers were unable to use?).... all in all... big thanks! ivansp8s@gmail.com

Some word the kind guy told me:

"The missiles were reworked a couple of months before release. I think the

miss3 missile was dropped in that form. I can't find the data file to confirm this!

The large missile is the one from the biggest turret - at one time we were going to allow the user to 1st person control the turrets.

The virus weapon was really cool. It worked in a way similar to the healing ray from the administrators - it had a yellow crackly outline. The best bit was that it then leaped from machine to machine and disabled them as it went. Very cool.

Dropped due to lack of time :("

Also note that the team that developed Machines ah just finished WARHAMMER ONLINE. (I don't like fantasy so much... I hope they will work again of machines!)

Didn't you want to get a cool Webpage for this absolutely great game? I want to make one! http://www.1999machines.de.vu is the shortform-domain. Don't worry the "de.vu" the page is not in German Language. It was just free.

So please go to that page.. it would also be great if somebody want to work together with me smile

Originally posted by suskis:

Quote:

Is there someone here being able to set up some kind of board to discuss Machines properly?

A place where discuss strategies, favorite weapons and machines, etc..

Maybe as a community we could even hope to have the source code of the game released (after all, the game is completely dead).

Well, go to this site: http://www.1999machines.de.vu/

I have already posted a few things there, and It could serve as exactly the type of thing you were talking about!

-Sloik

I can't download Machines i was looking for that game for an hour i played it all the time when i was a kid do i need to buy it or somthing i need to know if i can download a demo or somthing from this site

Thanks

I've got the patch and it works great, thanks to whoever is responsible for that by the way. I hate to ask this but does anyone happen to be able to use the trainer with the patch. As much fun as the game is normally I kind of miss being able to amass a giant army of warlords with plasma cannons, judas warlords, and gorillas and deal one massive crushing attack. So to get to the point if anyone knows how to get the trainer working if they could let me konw that would be great.

Hello all.

I'm new here so I first introduce myself. My name is Niels and I'm also the onwer of a copy of Machines.

Finally I've found this forum where, happy to see, so many other Machines fans are with the same problem... though my problem sadly remains.

I had copied the patch program from http://www.sturreal.co.uk/index.php I had installed it at exactly the right place, the directory where I have installed Machines. Though once I start the patch program and have sellected the directory to update machines... it suddenly says;

D:\Machines\CMS16.dll unknown version.

How is this possible since I've bought the game. It's an official version and it worked before on windows 98.

Can someone help me out, cause I'm dying to play Machines again A.S.A.P. I love it.

thank you very much for all the help in advance.

Niels.

Hey guys, the patch does not help if you have an old version of w.xp. I tried with SP1, didnt work, but its fine with the service pack 2. Enjoy

OMG! MACHINES FANS! I've been playn this game since i was like 12 or 13,then i got XP when i was 15 so i couldnt play it anymore because to find the patch was like tryn to revive a dead person,but i guess this game isnt so dead after all...If anyone wants to play a game wit me send me an e-mail swz_temper@yahoo.com thanks for the patch downloads that yous posted laugh

hi folks... I have tried that patch to, but it says "machines.exe: Unknown version". Maybe it's because I have the German version! Can anyone send me the patched machines.exe and dlls to nohero_at_bsdmail_dot_com??

Please, and thanks in advance!

best regards