Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boter

Machines.exe not a valid Win32 application

Hi Stuart, I downloaded the patch, installed into /machines directory (I have the original CD) and... did not work!

It starts the music of the game but with a black screen.

What's wrong?

thanks

Originally posted by daniloo:

Quote:
Hi Stuart, I downloaded the patch, installed into /machines directory (I have the original CD) and... did not work!

It starts the music of the game but with a black screen.

What's wrong?

thanks

Ok to install it just copy the files into the games directory and that will work.

As for why yours isn't working daniloo i'm not sure, the first time I ran the game it failed i got the loading screen and it froze. So what i did was goto compatibility, turned off advanced text services, and set compatibilty mode to win98, after that its been fine. I don't know if that affects it or not, but I shall look into more when I get home from uni. It should work perfectly i've been playing it a bit smile

My only with the game now is the mission briefings are a bit garbled :S

Hi Stuart

I tried all the compatibility modes, in the screen properties in the advanced, I deactivated the hardware acceleration, so what it showed is that now I can read the error message that appears when I try to run the game. It says:

"the instruction at 0050fa52 referenced memory at 0000008

the memory could not be read from

click to terminate the application"

I am about to give it up. If it was possible I would install my old windows millenium, but I don't know how and I don't want to uninstall the xp I have now.

thanks for your time

p.s. I never managed to end the last mission of the game, is very hard. do you know some good working strategy?

danilo

Thank you so much for the patch, I can finally play again!

Two little things that maybe someone with more brainpower could fix up:

The music doesn't work in my game. The sound effects do, but not the music. Is it just me and my computer? Am I doing something wrong?

Occationally a large patch of the terrain (while playing) will change into a sqaure black and white pixilated area. I'm assuming that it is my video card, but that bothers me because I'm running windows XP on with an NVIDIA GeForce 128mb card. Being that Machines was made quite some time ago, shouldn't my specs be more than enough to run it without problems? Anyone know how to fix it?

Once again, I'm just being picky though. I'm very happy to be able to play it. Thanks Suskis!

I am happy to see so many people still interested in this gem. Nice to hear the patch was helpful too!

About the last mission: it's extremely hard even using the trainer!!! BTW: the only way to beat the last mission is to build Judas warlords as fast as you can and capture all the goodies the enemy has (gorillas and heavy artillery like goliaths and eradicators). Always use the 1st person mode to pilot your judas and protect your base with turrets.. but it's all about judas!

A note: many of you wrote me for the patch and some are interested in discussing the game. Cant' we set up a Machines related board somewhere? there were a couple long ago, but both are now dead... There's plenty to discuss about this game!!

Hell, is it possible that I am the only one with the patch who does not manage to play? I still dont understand why it does not work. Yes I understood that it is about judas, but how can you build torrets without BMU?

P.S. I am also from Italy. where are you from, Suskis?

regards

I understood that is about judas, but how do you build torrets without BMU? the only way is recicling captured machines but in this way you are always going in and out 1st person mode.

Hell, I still did not make it with this patch! Am I so idiot with this patch to not manage to make it work?

p.s. I am also from Italy. Where are you from, Suskis?

I understood that is about judas, but how do you build torrets without BMU? the only way is recicling captured machines but in this way you are always going in and out 1st person mode.

Hell, I still did not make it with this patch! Am I so idiot with this patch to not manage to make it work?

Originally posted by cwmster13:

Quote:
Thank you so much for the patch, I can finally play again!

Two little things that maybe someone with more brainpower could fix up:

The music doesn't work in my game. The sound effects do, but not the music. Is it just me and my computer? Am I doing something wrong?

Occationally a large patch of the terrain (while playing) will change into a sqaure black and white pixilated area. I'm assuming that it is my video card, but that bothers me because I'm running windows XP on with an NVIDIA GeForce 128mb card. Being that Machines was made quite some time ago, shouldn't my specs be more than enough to run it without problems? Anyone know how to fix it?

Once again, I'm just being picky though. I'm very happy to be able to play it. Thanks Suskis!

Yeah i've had the memory address fault too but it still works I'm running a 128mb Radeon9800Pro and its working a treat apart from a few anoyances, just try reinstalling machines upgrading the gfx drivers and see what happens.

If someone could get hold of that developer again maybe get him to fix some bugs or maybe release the source code so the community can make some improvements, i'd be willing to try my hand at C++ again

Yessss! The game needed some fixing so badly!

Network code is totally fucked up (all units "teleport" due to lags even on a 1000megabit network...)

Also all the things left behind should be used for something (like the chamber inside the largest smelter, that you can enter but has no use! or the Virus weapon...)

hi does anny body know where i can Download the game machines or where i can buy it

I tried re-install 4 times, downloading the patch to the Machines directory and I still get the same junk message. Ready to get a second hard drive with windows ME and be done with this patch junk.

Please, can someone put the patch somewhere online? I keep receiving 4 or 5 mails every week from people wanting it!

It would be easier if someone kindly uploaded it on a file sharing site. Thanks.

suskis,

If you wish you can post your patch at http://vogons.zetafleet.com Simply create a thread describing what the patch does, it's history, blah blah blah, then attach it to the post. Those who wish to download the patch will have to register tho or you could also try places like The Patches Scrolls but I don't know if they accept 3rd party patches.

Please let me send PATH for this game, I share this on my WEB SIDE ... my e-mail: Bildos@gmali.com

I found these postings on google today and was suprised and relieved to find an XP patch for my all time favourite game, Machines!Thank you Suskiss for finding the patch and sturreal for posting it on your site. I unpacked it into the machines folder (got original cd's) and it works a treat so far. Although I tried battle/fortress and it goes to Defeat in about 5 seconds.

I was about to install Dual boot with win98se and XP but thought I'd have a look to see if I could find a patch first. Saved me all the hassle.

My son and I used to play regularly online with MS Zone until they removed it. When I got a new PC and XP I found machines wouldn't run.

Would we still need another patch to play online PC to PC?

And would anyone be interested in doing that?

Its a pleasure smile I hope you enjoy it. The patch is gonna be up there forever, so never fear anyone. Once uni is finished in about 6weeks, i'm gonna create a page specially for the patch so ppl can find it on google.

Still if anyone can get hold of the code for it, that would be a huge bonus, as it will allow us to fix the game.

Hi form Italy!!

I've the same problem of daniloo(my OS is Win2000).

I'll try VMWare for emulate Win98 and install Machines.

Is there some other game like machines today?

I don't think so. :-/

Hello, I just downloaded the patch, and I dont really know what to do now to install it...Do you just place the downloaded patch in some folder, do you have to unzip it..or is there some program you use to install it? I tryed just placing the downloaded patch in the machines folder, and i still get the same error message. Please help me!

P.S. Thank you very much for your hard work everyone, its very much appreciated ^.^

OK, I found out that you have to "Unpack" the patch, and you can only do this by downloading a program called WinAce Archiver, I got it off of a link on the microsoft website.

Once downloaded just use the program to unpack the patch, and place the 7-10 files that came with the patch in the machines folder. It's really easy. I hope if anyone else is having the same problem that this helps...

I love this game ^.~ thanks for your help guys.

OH, I almost forgot to mention, you can download WinAce Archiver for free from http://www.winace.com Good luck everyone ^.^

Finally worked on win xp.

But when i start a mission the game tell me "insert cd2".

I have no cd's!!

does anny body know if there is a map editor tool? and moding tools for Machines

and can anny body programm a new patch that fixes allot of bugs

bugs: some textures

Shooting bugs an enamy hits me but take no damage only the first hit does like the reaper plasma cannons

or i can take out 2 knights +missels with 1 grunt + bolt gun

and also the turrets

and some models are fucked up if you look zoom in on the bod

and some models are realy blocky

and can anny body tell how i can get the nightvision on?

did acclaim removed some stuf out of the game?