Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boter

Machines.exe not a valid Win32 application

Machines is a great game that seems very underrated. However, Acclaim never bothered to release a Windows XP patch, and none of the settings I've tried for a compatibility mode have worked yet. I've downloaded Windows Application Combatibility Toolkit, but it's not one of the many games that toolkit includes.

And don't tell me that it's an incomplete install. It total, I've probably tried re-installing it at elast 10 different times, all with the same damn error message:

"machines.exe is not a valid Win32 application."

I tried running the program straight off the CD-ROM, with the same error message.

I know that it's an XP compatibility issue... it ran fine on my old Windows 98 computer. Other than that, I haven't a clue.

And yes, it is a great game. http://www.acclaim.com/games/machines Mainly Real-Time Strategy, with a hint of First Person mech control. Hard to find, though frown

Sampson, I hadn't seen your response... i most've gone up while I was posting. It looks more like a method to just copy the game to your HD and not need the CD for it, but I'll try...

Hi, I've got the same problem and I searched nearly everything with google for a solution. But loosed.

Well I could try the Machines Update from the link you given, but all the Machines patches on acclaim are down!

Anyone of you has got one of these patches? I can't find the patch anywhere else too..

Please help frown

Edit: Ok, I found a source to dl it (http://www.pcgamesportal.de/index.php?site=patc&id=M)

But as I installed it, Machines still don't work and shows the same error message. God damn it.

- Kalleos

I agree... great game. Dug it out recently and thought I'd give it a replay, but got the same error. I'm not sure if Acclaim has a working XP patch out or not... but one thing you could try, (as a last resort), is to re-install 98, then XP and set up for a dual boot. You'll have to make sure that you partition at least some small space of your hard drive to FAT32. Good game or no, it's not worth the effort as far as I'm concerned. But, my roomate set his pc up this way when he first put it together, and as a result, can play a lot of these older games trouble free.

I have had similar problems playing old games and applications on my latest re-install of winxp, strangly didn't have these problems the first time i installed it, and I don't have problems running many of them on another p.c with windows xp on. So it really is a mystery. However the error message i get is different, something to do with the MS-dos 16 bit subsystem. I have been told it's possibly a problem with either of the following, * Config.nt * Autoexec.nt or* Command.com. Been given some fixes but havn't been able to get any to work.

The dual boot system is definately a way to go if your desperate to play old games, but instead of having two operating systems on different partitions on the same disk i have installed windows 98 onto a second hard drive. I then use bios to change the boot sequence to whichever drive has the operating system i want. Suppose it would be fairly easy to set up a program which allows boot selection, there are quite a few about.

Machines is one rockin game. God I miss that game.

the nuclear explosions at ground level are unreal!!!

I had Xp problems too.

but do this try DOSBOX its a dos emulation program that might do the trick..

i just bought a new copy of Machines and will try it soon.

mark

aka CLYDE

I downloaded a hacked file, but I can't remember where from! ;(

The file had an altered security level. It actually works! It runs fine, except you can't access the option menu.

IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO HACK THE FILE, YOU ONLY NEED TO ALTER THE SECURITY!

Windows wouldn't let the real game file run because the security was too loose.

I hope this helps!

I dont know if your still having problems with machines but here is the solution:-

1. Insert your WinXP CD into the CD drive or DVD drive.

2. Click Start, and then click Run.

3. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.

4. At the command prompt, type the following commands, pressing ENTER after each command:

expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\config.nt_ c:\windows\system32\config.nt

expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt

expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\command.co_ c:\windows\system32\command.com

exit

5. Start or install the program

Hope this helps...if not email me at rowbottom3@blueyonder.co.uk and I will try and help you further....also please email me to let me know if this works!

holy crap, i didnt know so many people other than me thaught that game was awesome, and had the same error XD

expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\config.nt_ c:\windows\system32\config.nt

expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt

expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\command.co_ c:\windows\system32\command.com

exit

5. Start or install the program

I was wondering if any of those commands worked for anyone else to get the game working

they didnt seem to work for me

anyone have any other ideas?

Hi from Italy.

I thought I was one of the 3 people on the planet who loved Machines so much!

I hunted down one of the coder that made the game that revealed me some nice trivia (have you ever seen the unused graphics in game directories? they had to leave out even bigger missile ground launchers and a special weapon called VIRUS!)

However, that kind guy sent me a special patch to make Machines work with Windows 2000. I then tried it with XP SP 2 and with relaxed settings, it works perfectly! I am playing it even today and in widescreen 1280x800 resolution!

Only problem: you need the original cd (I bought a german version and glued together it with english writings and sounds) and, unluckily, the pod's voice during briefings is crippled and not understandable. But everything else is ok, even the trainer is working.

I never tried network game, though (that was the weak side of Machines and that doomed it).

I always hoped they released its source code to let people fix all the problems the program had.. and make it the perfect game it could have been!

BTW: just drop me a note and I'll send you the patch (suskisATyahoo.com). (or even the full patched ISO i use with DaemonTools to avoid the need of a cd in my cd reader)

Wouldn't be nice to make a small site about Machines?

That game had a fantastic sound and gameplay. I'd love to discuss it with friends online! I also made an exact study on what damage points each weapon makes to targets and how many HP points each units have!

hey suskis i emailed you with my gmail account, my message might be under your junk mail folder please respond to it

i have been trying forever to get this game working

thanks

The demo executes fine. Executable is dated 2/19/99 and is 7,572,480.

I don't have the full ver but if you some of you are feeling adventurous you might want to try to compress the machines executable with UPX: http://upx.sourceforge.net/

Ok guys: I sent you the patch (it's a 2 part rar executable). The files have to be put in machine dir, that's all.

Please tell me if the game still works on network, because I have non to play with but I'd like to know if this can be still played on multiplayer.

Thanks.

BTW: what's the mission you like most?

I like so much the last two and the one you must take the fortress.

EDIT: I'm puzzled! GMAIL answered that "message too big for system"... But it's less than 2 MB... what's up???

hm..ill try emailing you with my hotmail account then

try emailing me one part at a time that might work better

[Edited by asdc on 2005-02-12 12:10:32]

hotmail blocked the file try sending it to teh other account i emailed you

thanks for trying to help me out really appreciate it

alright well the patch suskis gave me worked

thanks alot suskis

Hi Suskis

I sent you an e-mail but I am afraid you did not get it.

Could you help me? I am also looking for a solution to make machines work in windows xp. Damn I miss that game! I do not understand why nobody thaught about making a second version of it, even if it is old it is still much better than a lot of crappy modern games.

Thanks

danilo

Hi

Please can someone send me a copy of the patch too? I also miss this game loads and really want to play it again.

hey, i too would love a copy of this miracle patch, please please please!! i have to play this game again! its been too long!