Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brian Frank

Am I the only one who thinks Win ME sucks?

Hey, dude, we're not attacking you. We're just saying, yeah, most non-computer users are "stupid" in the pc world in general, but just keep those guys out of the mix here.

I'd be very ticked too after what you just went through.

Look, a couple of years ago, it was the "stupid computer" that was screwing me up...well, that can also be today too. Now its "Okay, now whats the problem so I can fix it and get on with life?"

I can understand having someone who doesnt have a clue how much it takes to get one computer going, much less 12, and then be expected to get everything going that instant. A lot of people dont realize how much time it will take to make sure that the computer will run properly in the first place, but they figure they can tell you how to do your job. Anyone who tells you how to do your job and doesnt have a clue how to do it are the biggest idiots.

End mindless rant with no purpose...

Brian was *****ing about how much WinME sucks, and you came down on him. Now, you ***** about the "ignorant" users (who pay you, by the way), and I come down on you. I never stated that you called me and idiot, and I wouldn't care if you did. Seems like you're the one that needs those drinks, not us.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Well, I have given this topic some serious thought and have come up with a very contentious point of view.

Firstly some important details about my computer.

I have:

Dual PentiumIII 966 on ASUS Apollo-pro 266 with 512DDR ram. Geforce2 GTS, 2*30 Gig IBM Deskstar SCSI 160 running off an Adaptec 29160. Sony G420 19" Display.

This set-up has provided me with hang-up free performance for 1.3 years. The only problem was encountered when I attached a Microsoft Intellimouse.

ME then decided that my serial ports were going to be the main drivers for my mouse and lost the USB support for the intellimouse.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Well, first off, you couldnt have had that entire setup for 1.3 years as DDR has only recently begun to appear on motherboards.

As for the intellimouse, make sure youve got at least the 3.2 drivers for it. If it didnt come with your mouse, you should be able to download it from Microsofts website somewhere.

I have no clue, unless its a dual boot with NT/2k/Linux, as those can actually use the dual cpu. Or it could be for the status, at a high cost.

Quote:

A virus huh? I wasn't aware that virus' have platforms that enable users to run apps, play games, surf the net, route dsl/cable modems, set up LANs, do graphics, program, and etc. etc.....

Sounds to me like it is an OS, not a virus. smile.gif

ME does not suck. If you don't like it, then don't run it. Its as simple as that. I use it for my games. Its a great gaming OS, therefore, to me, it has a very good purpose. Quit bashing it if you don't know what you are talking about. Give MS a little credit....geez. Why don't you just install linux and see how far you get with that....then maybe you guys will appreciate ME and MS in general.

Doesn't SUX huh ?? hehehehe .. sure .. well in order to find out whether or not it SUX (WHICH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES !!) one has to run it first .. right ?? .. so most of the ppl here who say it SUX (majority) know this because they had to find out the HARD WAY !!

Damn! I thought this post would die off eventually.

Of course, if I get one more jackass flamin' me for my OPINION, I'm gonna get this one closed off.

I dislike WinME period. I used it for a while and got blue screen of death errors all the time. It ran my games slower and had trouble working with some old DOS programs of mine. I got rid of it and slapped Win98 and 2000 back for a nice mix of power and compatibility. Something WinME can't do either way.

Plus Windows Media Player sucks, IE 5.5 is older than the real release, and movie maker is crap.

Hopefully XP won't get gutted before we see it, but it may be released early to avoid the next round of lawsuits.

Good thing I didn't ask early on how many ppl think XP sux;)

Boy would I be dead meat!

I know that waaaaaaaaaay too well, eddie.

I'm glad I'm able to see what the next Windows will be like, and it's safe to assume it won't suck.

Unless the lawsuits from the have not's start after MS again. MS should be smacked for releasing ME in the first place. Getting XP out so soon after was a good idea, but they should've just skipped ME and waited for XP. However, had that not happened, I probably would still be using 98, not Win2k or RC1.

This has been quit a heated discussion, I'm not really surprised.

Anyway i guess i'll post my opinion,

Personally my experience with WinMe has not been real bright.

I ran it on a HP4404 333mhz K6-2 3DNow, 32mb TNT2 M64, 96Mb SD RAM.

Along with Win2K & Win95 using Powerquest Bootmagic6.

I regret replacing Win98 with WinME, for many reasons, though the main one is the fact that WinME runs Most games very "Chunky" compared to Win98, (Driver, GTA2, Outcast, ect...). Win98 was definatley superior in the gaming field.

Secondly it is rather a bloated operating system, i can not understand why things like MovieMaker, MS Media Player7 ect.. cannot be excluded during the installation, Let alone not be able to be removed at alater stage!!! (allthough M$ is renowned for it, hey just look at IE packaging into the OS's)

Hey, BTW, just a question to anyone willing to answer, do you's reckon that MovieMaker can be removed by simply deleting it, then running eg. M$ Reglean to clean out the registry after?confused

Hey, just a thought.

Seriously, what percentage of people running WinME ACTUALLY HAVE HARDWARE THAT CAN ACTUALLY IMPORT MEDIA!! ;(

Though i must say the restore function is pretty cool, considering i had to use it a few times laugh

It boots quicker, wow now thats a bonus laugh

Well, thats my opinion.

Sure it has it's place in some homes, for the most Win98 does just as good, better in many cases eg. games.

PS the reason i run Win95 is that after i got WinME running Win98 won't install.... at all... on the computer without a multitude of critical errors (Bios was changed by WinME), Thanks M$:D

Righto,

Cheers.