Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brian Frank

Am I the only one who thinks Win ME sucks?

Thank god Jdulmage hasn't worked his way in here yet, lol smile Anyway, sorry to hear you go through so much trouble with WinMe, Brian. I wouldn't tolerate that much hassle either! From the info ive gathered about WinMe from its release, many people report having troubles with the *upgrade/promo* version of WinMe. Is it possible that WinMe just doesn't upgrade good or their's a bug in the *upgrade/promo* CD? Ive only done clean installs with the full version and as far as stability goes in WinMe, I personally have zero problems with crashes and lockups. The only compadibility problem's ive encountered are:

1) TV capture on the ATI All In Wonder didn't work. (probably fixed by now, its been awhile since ive run that card)

2) A certain make (cant rememember the exact model) of a Hewlett Packard inkjet printer not working.

Thats it! No lockups, crashes or any other awkward stability problems. (but I still wouldn't say it's any better/worse then 98se and definitely not worth paying for if you allready have 98se) Normaly I do a clean install every 60 days to wipe the system clean, but ive been lazy here lately and have so much fud installed on my WinMe system that i'm suprized I don't have any stability/speed loss problems. Heck, I even have old DX 6.1 SDK with a bunch of debuggers runnin for a project I was working on, on this system!

Stay away from the promo version of WinME!! It's evil!!! smile

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Another thing that irritated me was that stupid movie maker-which I have no use for and could not uninstall. Microsoft sure has some balls to force stuff on that you cant uninstall.</font>

I 100% agree! It's the same bull with XP frown All that bogus crap should be user choice on the initial install of the OS or uninstallable at a later time smile

So the promo upgrade is bad news? That probably explains a WHOLE lot.

Norton Antivirus wouldnt run when schedualed, my games crashed more often.

I really think MS shouldve left more of DOS with ME or just completely taken it away. That was probably a major part of the stability issue.

Still, even on a clean install, there were problems.

JJ32, this post is an opinion, you may not like my opinions, but that doesnt make me an idiot. Just because you havent had problems, doesnt mean someone else hasnt either. Heaven forbid we have problems with any OS and talk about them.

One OS does not suit everyone best. ME is geared toward home, but it is not one of the best ones Ive experienced. Not saying that we should ditch MS (at least for now) and go to Linux. Linux has a long way to go before it reaches the home OS front. ME had some problems that had MS waited to fix these problems, wouldve had a lot less issues to deal with.

I dont think that home users have to only use the 9x line and businesses only have to use the NT-based OS's or Linux. MS did a smart strategy, but I dont have to like everything about the OS targeted at me. I prefer Win2k, but there are somethings that I wish wouldve been implemented from 9x. MS config was very nice, but I have to use another program to clear out my start menu.

While around in the registry isnt a bad thing if you back up before messing around, the fact that it is rather massive in the first major key. I dont feel like doing something the hard way if I can do it the easy way.

Damn JJ32, finally someone helping me out on this thread. smile

If you go back and read these posts, you will see that ive been stressing your points this whole time.

Here is a good tip that i use a lot when people rag on MS. I work in a Unix based environment, so naturally, they all talke sh*t about MS and how unstable it is. But, I tell them this: Windows isn't an unstable OS. 90% of the time, windows crashes and locks up because of improper installation. If you know how to set up windows correctly (and this goes for any version) it is suprisingly a very stable and productive business OS. Since ive completely switched my network at work from NT4 to Win2k, I've been keeping uptime programs on my DC's just to prove to these unix guys how stable Windows really is. So far, 3 out of the 4 DC's i setup have been up for 127 days. Kind of impressive huh? Most people wouldn't expect windows to stay up that long without the emminent reboot! hehe

Anyway, my point is basically what JJ said. ME is as stable as the installation. If you do it right, it will run with little to no problems for many many days. Brian, unfortunately, your run-ins with ME have not been as promising as JJ's and mine. But, that really has nothing to do with the OS as a whole, but everything to do with how it was set up.

love and beer,

HarU

Im going to have to agree with HarU. I work in a Unix/NT/2K environment. One of my workhorse 2K servers has been up for a little over 6 mo.*hang on* to be exact 197 days 6 hours and some minutes. with no reboot and its running a ton of apps from the server to emulation clients. So I would say when setup properly tehy work ok. Just arent as configurable..

-Moniker

Dude, you guys that can't even get Win Me to work, all I can say is LOL! And like....LOL again! That's too funny! Come on man, how you gonna ***** about Win 2k, if you can't even configure a Win 9x OS like Me. Phew, if I ever get a job applicant telling me similar stuff I will roll on the ground laughing (or want to) and then.........kick his rear out the door. Yeah, like "Well, that about wraps it up. I have all the information we need. We will be contacting you. Thank you and good day!". Then after I roll on the ground laughing again, I will recall the candidate and have my non- technical grandmother install it for him...on his own system! LOL! It's Win Me promo edition or whatever man. How hard can it be really? You tell me! LOL! Maybe you should send me your system, so I can fix it for you, then let me "DOGG" on you on this forum some more!

Love and beer? Shoot, better make that beer and love! First thing's first! Props to everyone who can install a "basic *** " Win Me OS properly! Also, thank god for "real" IT people..or those who just know what the "&*^%" it they are doing! LOL!

why should you have to update your BIOS and do all of that extra work to get a sh1tty OS like WinME to work?! Use a real OS....and NT OS.

LOL JJ.....you are right....should be:

Beer and...ummmm beer,

HarU

The point is this. Let me dictate it for you cause "God forbid" (borrowing from anonymous of course: Brian) you have to actually update something like your BIOS. Dude if you can't even update your BIOS and device drivers and do not do so on a regular basis cause it is too much work......THEN STOP MESSING WITH COMPUTERS NOW! THIS IS OBVIOUSLY BEYOND YOUR ABILITIES! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BELIEVE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. DANGER! DANGER! THIS IS TOO COMPLICATED FOR YOU AND SHOULD BE RESERVED FOR THE MORE TECHNICALLY SOUND INDIVIDUAL.

If you can't even flash your BIOS and update device drivers, then I can hardly figure out how you got your computer working at all. You must have just put the CD-ROM called "WINDOWS" in and prayed. Wow! Good job man! You are the master technician! What happened...WAAAAA....WAAAAA....it doesen't work. Go cry to your mommy or to BIll Gates and watch them both laugh at you!Anyway, that's why they have things called UPDATES. Last I heard you are supposed to use them to UPDATE for comaptibility reasons I heard. You know...so like things work! LOL! HarU, myself and a few others are probably the only ones who have enough brain left to figure it out! Damn, maybe I should more beer it seems to make me smarter? It sure in the hell aint incrasing the amount of brain cells I have, but who cares. With the existing ones I have left looks like I'm smarter than most people on this forum. LOL! Go try to uninstall movie maker man...or do you need me to do it for you?

Oh but I do keep up with the latest drivers ! :P have the latest bios for my board.

Im running the 10.80 drivers cuz they're the fastest out there. Some things I dont update, especially if it works fine right now, unless it will make things work better.

I never said I just install the OS and be done with it. Speed is of the essence.

JJ32, Id appreciate your comments if you wouldnt be such a motherfukking sonofab!tch @sshole sh!thead! mad

I could give a rats *** what OS you use!

You use ME, I'll use 2k.

I can install and run ME, but there are somethings that I prefer about 2k one being networking, and the other better stability.

The only times Ive crashed are when I overclock too high.

For crying out loud, dont be such a dick about this! Im not saying you CANT use ME, this post was to find out who like ME and who didnt.

Eddie, is this the most annoying guy youve seen on the forum?

Well, I guess Im not the only one who thinks ME sucks, but the populous of some 9x users dont agree with me.

Im so glad we live so far apart from each other. (jinx myself right now)

LOL! Why you get so mad Brian? Don't be posting that you can't get it to work then turn around and say something else! I run whatever OS I please be it Windows 9x, Me, NT, 2k Pro, 2k Server, Linux, or whatever. I never say that they suck cause I get them going. If you wanna talk *&^* and ***** (like a female dog) then maybe you should spend some time with computers before you go on a rant. Yeah I will be an ******* if you throw ridiculous stuff up here like this SUCKS CAUSE IT I CAN'T GET THIS AND THAT TO WORK...WAAA...WAAA....and all that whining. If you need help with something then ask, otherwise stop the whining and moaning about how much something sucks and sit down and figure it out. It might be device drivers and BIOS, I don't know. Not saying that is it for sure, but you need to start somewhere. LOL! You want to install an OS fast, huh? Well maybe you should program the ROM based OS (if you can call it that) on a fancy calculator or something. That is a flash and go procedure. MS markets like everyone else that Windows is plug and pray, easy to upgrade (just throw the disc in and it goes) yeah right! That's why they call it uh...marketing. To like uh....make money.

Stop getting all mad and whining you baby. Not my fault you can't get it to work!

Ugh! As much as I hate this particular section of the forum I feel I should at least support Brian.

Firstly, Haru I can respect your knowledge and many of the things you say. I won't go into attacking you once again and therefore I will let the many personal remarks you said slide. Questionarre, you call me a newbie? I welcome you to add me to your icq list and we'll discuss this further. Now JJ32, you sir are.. ugh, just revolting. Your arrogance, writing style, subject matter, personality, and general opinions (if you can call them that) are repugnant. Your attack on Brian Frank was not necessary and proved that you, not him are the immature one. Nothing you could say could ever redeem yourself, you sunk totally by the rubbish you wrote. Brian was merely adding his opinion! You somehow found it threatening and responded by calling him stupid? I too have found Windows ME to be totally Sh1tfull. Worthless. Haru said somewhere that an OS is as good as how you install it? Perhaps he was under some narcotic influence when he wrote that.

There are only a few ways to install Windows ME. The 'tweaking' is done after the install. I challenge both of you, to install Win Me, without any Internet connection whatsoever and run it for 3 months using a large variety of programs. If it crashes once you will have to admit your foolishness. Franks opinion that an OS should not be tweaked to be a good OS is valid. Without access to the many updates available for ME on Microsoft’s update site and with no tweaking, ME is a phucking useless pile of **** .

The majority of people who use it have little computer knowledge; in fact that is Microsoft’s target consumer audience. So these are the people who suffer the problems with this woeful OS. Your arguments are unrealistic, flaccid and somewhat boring to read.

- Card

Cardinal as much as you try to sound educated, I know have twice your educational level, so you can stop with the politically correct polite garbage. It's funny, you guys complain about Win Me and not having an internet connection and all this. Now you are all mad at me cuz' I "rub it in your face". LOL! Yeah like Win Me is meant to not have an internet connection so you can't update it. Please! I'm not being rude, just using GOOD COMMON SENSE! If you don't know what you are doing then get off the computer! THAT SIMPLE! Would you want somebody fixing your car, who can't even "figure it out"? Get a life! This is the REAL WORLD buddy, so get used to the sarcasticness. Where do you live? In UTOPIA? Obviously not CPU Utopia cause you have too many problems. LOL! If you have a problem be specific so we can all help out, don't go ranting and raving about how polite we are. You think the people who change our world all really that polite? Get a life, man! Yeah, like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs are real polite. How many times have they been quoted saying stuff like, "Get this bullshit out of my face" when being presented with an idea. LOL! Go back to politically correct Utopiaville loser and let real techies run this world. It's not about how polite you are, but your level of skill. Who cares if you can kiss my *** all nice and not fix it. I just want soemthing fixed and the guy can joke around and dog on me all he wants. It's called self-confidence and if you don't have any then sorry! Daddy must have beaten it out of you or something! Go fix your Win Me install! If you don't have an internet connection then how the hell you place a reply here. Sounds like some of you are just lazy to me. Hey, stop eating that donut!

Narcotic influence huh? Well, you think what you want. Did you read the rest of my post? I described in detail what i meant by that, and it is in fact a very intelligent and helpful piece of advice.

Cardinal, i don't attack people on this board unless i am personally attacked myself. If i made personal comments to you or brian, they were most definately provoked prior to my remarks. I believe this thread should've ended after my long post on page 2 where brian replied with something that was acceptable and neither of us said anything until JJ. My points have been more than supported in detail, and ive done it in a professional way. My posts were more of a general look on uses of all OSes, WinMe included. Before any flaming continues, i encourage you to re-read, and maybe re-analyze what was said in my previous posts. WinMe, just like every other OS has its uses. That's the bottom line. If you, or anyone else can't accept that, then truly you have proven yourselves to be too narrowminded for me to even bother wasting my time explaining myself.

Just to let you know, I've been running ME on ONE of my FIVE machines at home since the day of its release. I don't know what compelled me to buy it, but i did, and i found it to be a great gaming OS. So, i believe that is longer than the 3 month test you wanted. And, of course it has locked up, but not nearly as much as Win98.

HarU

Yeah like I would have to redeem myself to you Cardinal. Like you can really "pull my salary" and/or "hold a match" to my educational level. LOL! Keep trying loser!

Hey, tell me how you can't get Win Me to work right again, so I can laugh at your repugnant wannabe *** ! Anyway, you stuck your nose in now it gonna get bloodied! I'm cool, but I don't have time for people who are crass, stuck up, and say everything is stupid because they have personal computer skill level issues they need to work out! Oh help, Win Me sucks so bad! Please, help me, help me! Just say you suck and then say help me! You might get some help that way. Hey, my Ferrari's broke! Maybe I should say, it sucks too! LOL! I'll just have it re-tuned again by somebody who knows what they are doing. Since Ferrari's have so much engine trouble they suck bad too! Yeah. they are worthless...or maybe it's just that they are high performance and therefore need high maintenance by qualifed knowledgeable people. Relate this to your issue man! Good luck!

Hhhhmm... Install and make it run correctly without an internet connection? Well ive been runnin WinMe since RTM, had it WAY before it hit the store shelves, and have yet to venture to the microsoft's update site. Even to see what updates where availible. Have no reason too, everything runs- A.O.K. Nothing locks up here and I abuse my system ten times more then most people! How many people do you know that has a system running the agp bus at well over 100MHz - The FSB at 157MHz+ on a BX chipset super stable!?!?!? Hhmmppfff! If anything, I should be having the lockups and problems. smile

The only time I remember having a BSOD is when I had a badly scratched disk that the CD-Rom was having difficulty reading, tried to take it out while it was trying to read it and got a dirty cd error BSOD, not the os's fault the CD was badly scratched. Other then that, no stablility problems, even running super high, out of spec buss speeds.

I'm not trying to put WinMe in the light but it just boggles my mind that someone could have so many problems with it. Come on now, tell the *truth* guys, hehe. You guys installed it by upgrading from a previous OS that was already cluster phucked with all your apps, games, whatever and was just to lazy to reinstall everything when your current OS was already due for a clean install and just popped the WinMe Cd in and upgraded without a clean install and won't cop to it. smilewink

While I differ on the opinions with HarU, at least he's civil about this.

I personally dont like ME.

YES, I HAVE DONE A CLEAN INSTALL OF ME! mad

JJ32, I dont know if you only pay attention to the fact that I dont like ME or what, but please dont rub my face in the dirt just because MY OPINION does not match YOUR OPINION. mad

I know full well I dont have the education of an IT tech.

You would do well to note that there are other guys with plenty of tech knowledge here, but their not going "You have stupid opinions and you are a complete moron."

I dont want to start another thread like Jdulmage did, but apparently character assaissination is not out of bounds. mad

[This message has been edited by Brian Frank (edited 27 March 2001).]

I don't care if your opinion varies Brian, that is what keeps us unique. No I'm not Superman or Supernerd or something. Realize computers aren't calculators and that you are going to have issues. A matter of fact next time you install something....EXPECT TO HAVE ISSUES...and then get happy when you don't. This is the essence of real computing today, if you messed with them long enough. Yup, someday they will be perfect...BUT IT SURE AINT GONNA BE TODAY..AND I CAN BET YOU AINT GONNA BE UNTIL WE HAVE ABOUT 50-60 YEARS IN PERSONAL COMPUTING. I'LL BE THE OLD MAN DEAD IN MY CHAIR FROM PLAYING THE FUTURE VERSION OF UT OR IT'S COUNTERPART BY THE TIME YOU CAN REALISTICALLY EXPECT TO HAVE TROUBLE FREE COMPUTING.

I dont think we'll see any "trouble-free" computing. There will always be one thing in just one instance that an OS will have problems. Good thing we dont program people with an OS. CPUs do caluclate, so they could be consider a very,very,very expensive calculator, but thats just scratching the surface of the cpu.

XP is an exciting development minus one issue that has a lot of people steamed--the activation code. Other than that, the betas seem very good.

Im not trying to start a war here, but when I eventually shut up, it would be well of all of us to have fair warning that any OS will have problems. Show me a perfect OS, and I'll guarantee its not. No matter how hard MS or any company may try, there will be flaws. Most of the time there will be a little issue here or there, but for the most part there's nothing critical.

ME does run better on a clean install.

For me, I thought it would be better than it turned out to be. Maybe I hyped it up too much and thus a big letdown.

Although I turned this feature off, the System Restore is a good idea, but despite the fact that it does have a controllable amount for the size, it would be nice to see MS find a way to backup settings without using a good size of space. Yeah, I know you can get an 81 GB hard drive, but Im a miser on hard drive space--okay a control freak.

I think hyping up a product and then having problems, not necessarily huge problems, but ones enough to turn off people, even small issues, hurts the product.

XP's biggest flaw it seem is the activation code. ME's biggest problem was the backwards compatability wasnt so backwards compatible after all. Win2ks biggest problem is the support of all vendors when compared to Win9x.

I go with whats less problematic for ME. ME is the most stable, so Ive heard with the full version. Well I bought the promo, and didnt like it. I also didnt like Win2k, and I though MS going to the NT code for all OS's was a big mistake. Not now, I really thing its for the best, although I do think that MS should slow down its OS cycle. Linux doesnt move this fast.

Its really of what OS gives YOU the least trouble. Whatever floats your boat.

I nuked WinME off my system. It would always fuk up. Now i'm running WinXP and Redhat 7.1b. The biggest problem i had with WinME was that after installing a linux distro WinME would refuse to boot, so i'd end up reinstalling WinME. The only thing i liked about WinME was the quick boot time, thats it. oh yeah, it don't take brains to be in the IT business, anyone can do it. The real brainy people are the software, network, and computer engineers.

Vampyr, as far as winme not booting after dual boot, which os did you install first? Im just curious, cuz i can get them to dual boot....if you were interested in help, let me know. The hardest part is booting off the linux cd to get into a command line, and from there, you must edit the lilo.conf file. But, no big deal, i just thought i would help if ya wanted it. smile

Ive had no problems with 9x and Linux.

Ive done a triple-boot with Win2k/ME and Linux Mandrake 7.x with no problems. Make sure the Grub bootloader or LILO bootloard is installed and just edit that if you wanted ME to boot first. Unless there's something in Red Hat specifically thats the problem, it should work. Linux is great in a dual boot situation, because I dont have to devote quite as much space to it as Windows, so I dont have to have duplicate files of the same thing on the Linux partition.

"oh yeah, it don't take brains to be in the IT business, anyone can do it"

Vampyr- You make me laugh kid, would you care to have a knowledge battle. Please, don't trivialize something which is beyond your scope of comprehension, It shows your ignorance. Also, if you want to degrade somebody or something it helps if you use proper grammar and spelling, it adds to your credibility. I guess double negatives impress no one.

Now my opinion of ME is: If you uninstall MediaPlayer 7 it is more stable then 9x ever was, out of the box that is. wink

Brian- Linux is open source man it moves as fast as its developers(which is everyone). As a matter of fact you can build your own distro of linux if you want.

Cheers

-Moniker

******edit******

P.S. Vampyr if you need help getting your linux distro to work right drop me a line and I can help you.

[This message has been edited by Moniker (edited 28 March 2001).]