Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brian Frank

Am I the only one who thinks Win ME sucks?

I got my linux distro to work perfectly. WinME would sorta boot... it would start to load but as soon as it initialized my USB devices it would either a) just sit there or B) BSOD. Anyways i killed WinME and now i'm running WinXP/own compiled version of linux. www.linuxfromscratch.com

Im not up and with it on the command line...never liked to go into dos. That probably explains why I prefer the KDE interface more than, say, Sawmill.

Yeah, I know about Open Source. Im just not knowledgable enough on Linux to be able to compile my own kernel. Thats something Im gonna have to do some more research on. Kinda scary to me.

I really know diddly squat about Linux in the grand scheme of things.

all i have to say is.....JJ32, STOP USING CAPS YOU DUMB MOTHERFU*CKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A lil late here, and not one to keep the argument going heh, but Brian, yeah, I agree with you too. ME sucks.

The extra features it adds to 98 are simply not worth it. Its bloated and slow. hmm.. kinda like 98 to 95 - and thats why I run 95 on my laptop (not enough RAM for 2K. :-().

2K is by far the best Windows OS to date (IMO), and after getting used to the new 'fancy' bits of Whistler, I can see it being even more surpreme...

...hey... anyone else hear that 2K is now being used more in business (for servers) then UNIX? hehe.. just thought I'd throw that in there. wink

--Cynan.

LOL! We have another genius in the club. Anyway, DO YOU LIKE THE CAPS EDDIE MAKER? HUH? HUH? Yeah, you guys get all pissed. LOL! Kick back. Swear some of you guys are on crank or something! LOL! Use your head and "figure it out". Why make everything so hard? LOL! Like I said, it's Win Me. How hard can it be really?

Duh, everyone knows that Win 2k is many ways a superior OS to Win Me. Why do you think MS it using it as it's successor in XP? Like it takes a REAL GENIUS to figure it out.

According to you guys, I'm an idiot anyway and don't know what I'm talking about. I'm so sorry "MASTERS". Hey, don't get all mad now! LOL! Damn, I'm about to start puking from laughing so hard! LOL! LOL! What are you guys trying to accomplish here really?

The real question here is "Why does Win Me suck"? From what I read it's because you can't get it "work" stably. It's like someone said earlier about one's abilities.

You have two mechanics. One working on car A and the other on car B. Mechanic on car A can't get it to run, so he says "I can't get it to work, therefore this car sucks". Mechanic B says, "It works great for me. Why are you having so much trouble?" Mechanic A responds, "I don't know, it is because of my uhhh......my parts!" Mechanic B says, "Hmmmm....why is it I can get it to work? Why do all my cars work?" Mechanic A says, "It's my car, it's not me. I just don't understand. If I use these parts on the other car (Win 2k) it works. I don't know why, so my car that doesen't work (Win Me) sucks." Mechanic B (JJ) thinks, "LOL, I have built 20 something cars with all different part configurations. Why don't I have these problems? Why can't mechanic A (the other guys) get it to work?" Mechanic A then says, "Who cares, I will just use my other car (Win 2k) it's faster anyway." Mechanic B (JJ) responds, "Isn't the other car (Win 2k) inherently faster anyway. " Mechanic A says, "Yeah, since it's faster screw that damn other car (Win ME). It sucks. I can't get it to work, therefore it sucks." Mechanic B says, "My car (Win Me) doesen't suck. As a matter os fact I have built over 20 of them that work just fine. It must be you." Mechanic A has a sissy fit and wanders off shaking his head saying that Mechanic B doesen't know what he is talking about and ignores.

Moral to the story: It's sad, but one would believe that the issue really lied in Mechanic A's abilities. Or should we dare say....INABILITIES?

**Relate this to your issue guys**

**Oh yeah, hate on me I love it. :)**

The one thing you might want to realize is that I bought the promo upgrade the DAY it was released. Therefore, there wouldve been no patches yet to fix the problems anyway.

Thats a good car analogy, JJ32.

I try to keep up with patches and such, especially my antivirus updates.

Norton AV 2k would install and scan, but it wouldnt scan when schedualed, and I had to manually scan it myself.

ME shouldve been less trouble than 98, but it really turned into my not liking it.

I also bought Win Me the day it came out and upgraded Win 98 SE (Win 98 SE was fully upgraded before the Win Me installations) on 5 systems that day with the promo edition with no issues. I don't know. All I can say is good luck. Win Me only sucks I guess, if it doesen't work on your system. Me, I'd stick it at it all day if I had to figure it out, but that's just me. I'm relentless! No OS conquers me!

Ok, must have been my personality disorder acting up again, sorry. Sometimes, I think I am King JJ the master technician....or do I know I am? Hmmm.....

Human persistence conquers all...how bad do you want it today?

Don't quit just because it makes it hard.....strangle that OS and your system till it works....HOW YOU WANT IT TO WORK!

Mess with it long enough and you will eventually get to the bottom of the issue.

Oh yeah, Win Me is not the best OS, but it far from sucks!

hmm..actually parts DO matter...I'm no expert, but I've done my share of OS installations, everything from Linux to BeOS. I know for some pc's installation will go smoothly while other pc's will put up a fight. I think mostly it's hardware related and really dependant on the compatilibility of these hardwares. I have some machinese that run flawlessly without BSOD and that's running Win98, but the hardware is usually above average, then I have had cheapo pc's crash every now and then. So it's like saying I'm putting a 350HP engine in my Ford Pinto and it will break. Get it?

Anyways, just my 2 cents...

The only reason why i thought winme blew monkey chunks was because it basically didn't do what i wanted it to do. I do a fare bit of audio recording, (and no, not lamer mp3 editing and such) i mean real audio recording. WinME just wasn't able to handle it. I'd get buffer underruns, audio dropouts, and frequent lockups. WinME would choke up as soon as I had 3 or more audio programs open at the same time (cakewalk, soundforge, rebirth, reason, wavelab). The point is, for me, winme sucks but for another person (eg AOL user) WinME might be the best thing since sliced bread.

JJ, you go on about other ppls lack of abilities, but how do you know that!? were you there at the time? no.

If you were, maybe you would have had the same problems, who knows. You can't judge other ppl just because it SEEMS that they can't do something that you can.

Just because you get a car to run fine over someone else with the same car, doesnt mean one person is less able then another. NO car is the same! even if it is the same model. Any mechanic will tell you that... and I should know, my Dads one.

Different parts, glitches in the manurfacturing process to different hardware in the PC. No two are truly alike.

So we have a difference of opinion? so thats life, get over it. Think of it this way, if we all got ME running fine, you'd be out of a job. wink

--Cynan.

I got ME running fine the instability was caused by mediaplayer7. On some machines it does have some problems. Especially if you use any SiS chipsets it doesn't like onboard video that much. So I think the real issue is ME doesn't like inexpensive computer equipment. It was never intended to be an upgrade it was going to be an OEM and they weren't even going to release it for a little while. Hey and JJ someone isnt stupid becuase they dont understand this stuff.The only thing that means is, they dont know about computers. Judging someones intellegence based one one subject is rather immature, wouldnt you say? If everyone is dumb in your world then you need to open your bedroom door and go outside where the rest of the world functions. I mean I could probably ask you a few things about computers that you wouldn't know. Am I right? I dont want you to get all excited and think I'm flaming you. Just making suggestions.

Nobody know everything about computers. I dont, and neither do you, JJ32. Other people here like Clutch, Inferno2000, SHS, and Phillip are knowledgable people, but they dont know everything. Things will still go wrong for them. No one's exempt from PC problems...although, that'd be really nice.

There's always something new with computers: new hardware, new standards, new gaming engines, new apps...so there's always something new to learn. But I dont think anyone knows it all. Bill Gates doesnt know it all.

Like you guys said, "JJ is the idiot here".

You guys are right! I don't know what I'm doing and I don't even deserve to be on the same level with people who can't even install Win Me correctly! Yeah, I'm a real loser. Yeah, I have never installed it (67 times it's been now on different configurations. Be it upgrade or what have you) and I always have problems. Yeah Win ME sucks I agree. IT IS SO DIFFICULT! What was MS thinking? I'm the stupid one here. I'm sorry. Should have never said anything so as not to offend (especially when people are complaining about a 9x series OS..LOL!) What was I thinking guys? Win Me sucks after installing it 67 times now on different configurations. I have a sales receipt for every upgrade and/or clean install I have done. I'm so sorry for the excuses, but it seems I always have one! Why is it I always have problems? Can you guys help me out here please cause Win Me (basic as it is) SUCKS! I AGREE NOW! <-------->LOL! Everyone happy? smile

Your not an idiot but you have made yourself a jack@ss here with the flaming attacks. You do have some great knowledge to add here, but no one's an idiot here. We can get some good feedback from you.

Granted there is a difference of opinion on the OS preference, but thats all an opinion and You are one of the very few experienced people who doesnt ME, which is astounding. You dont have to give up ME if you like it. I gave it up because it didnt work well for me. I see no problem with running an OS that works great for you.

You have some good knowledge, and aside from the posts here, you've given some very good help here. Ive seen some things you've posted that were a very fresh look at things, that I'd never considered.

I tell you what JJ, we'll get Four and Twenty to fly you down here in his helicopter so you can install WinME on my system. wink (sorry, couldn't resist) If you can tell me how to get WinME working flawlessly and fast with all my audio recording appz then I just might just put WinME on my system.

Cool....when's the flight BIG BOYS? Sigh....Have to school somebody else AGAIN! LOL! Let me know, eh! Just send me the freakin' computer and I will DO IT FOR YOU! Hey, if he's got a copter then tell him to do it up. Don't BS me, if you got something REAL (like "R" "E" "A" "L") that should work and doesen't let me know and I will school you like I just did someone else like 15 minutes ago on another OS. Pshhh, what you think I don't have skills. Boy 'aint nothin'here but skills.......MAD SKILLS! BRING IT ON! After I get it working I will charge you regular rate plus travel OK? Let's see what sys config and apps (including versions) you want me to do up (MOAN....DON'T BORE ME NOW!) All confidence and all skills here bud, just let me know and I will "hook you up". Chump! Don't go ballistic now, OK. Damn crack smokers!

You are sooooo wrong dude. They are pot smokers. Duh.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

I'm just wondering. Are you calling me an idiot JJ? I just want to know? I can see how getting windows to install without any complications gives you "mad skills" as you referred to them. The real question is could you get it to work with complications? Because, with all your flawless installs that you've performed, I imagine you've gained no useful experience other then pressing "next". Also if you were calling me an idiot I'd like to have a closer look at your immense amount of knowledge.

LOL! Ok pot smokers! Works for me! As long as it's the BOMB BUD! Anyway, stop hallucinating and figure it out big boy. Did I say Moniker is an idiot? Uh..no, but you sure did! Never met somebody who capped on themselves. Kids must have a good time with you.

Anyway, yeah that "Next" button is a mother. LOL! Damn, life sucks. Can't figure it out? What can I say then? I must just be the man? Nah, I'm the idiot remember?

What's the difference between me and you (borrowed from Eminem I guess..LOL!)?

Difference between me and you is I have more experience, more patience, and EXPECT ****UPS ALL THE TIME. No big deal, pshh just fix those up unless it is a code related issue like I'm working with Symantec on in PCAW 10. LOL! Regardless, I always figure it out then I just move in for the kill. BOOM! Bye, bye problem!

Mission complete...duh...duh...duh....DOH! Got to stop smoking so much pot affecting brain! I don't have much brain anyway, so there is really none to affect I guess. At least when I have problems I get to the root and resolve it. Who's the idiot? Who cares? I guess I am. Freakin' stresser, take a CHILL PILL...or be like the rest of us and take a CHILL PUFF! smile

How did I call myself an idiot? Just to let you know I always win in the end as well(with PC issues), persistance is the key, as well as a little common sense. I am chill, I was just asking a question. I wasn't able to tell who you were calling an idiot? I just didn't understand why it would be me.

-Cheers

-Moniker

Jeezly, I'm offline for a couple days, and this thread turns into, "Dopers & Choppers & Bud."

Oh, my.

laugh

Oh boy, it seems Ive started the long post in this section...

Looks like Ive got the "I dont mean to pi$$ everybody off.... version 2.0" right here.

[This message has been edited by Brian Frank (edited 07 April 2001).]