hey dan.. lol, another problem...

Switch to RH 9 like I did.. wink

Seriously, we should now go to the command line and do as root:

urpmi FlashPlayer-6.0-3mdk.i586.rpm

and see what happens..

It appears from those other posts he may have downloaded

FlashPlayer-6.0-3mdk.i586.rpm

first and then did urpmi.

I'm not really sure how you urpmi something that has already been downloaded. Can another senior MDK 9.2 user here assist?

Quote:
[neus@localhost neus]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost neus]# urpmi FlashPlayer-6.0-3mdk.i586.rpm
unable to access rpm file [FlashPlayer-6.0-3mdk.i586.rpm]
error registering local packages
[root@localhost neus]#

Im installing the opera browser, and seein if that works

or not... it doesnt seem to register the plugins i think.... i just tried the flash 1...

I've got Mdk 9 on two computers at work and have to go there in about an hour. I'll fool around with urpmi and flash when I get there and tell you what I find out..

thx... well, im goin to bed early .. yeh.. 12:44.. lol... nyways, ttyl..

My Mdk 9.0 box at work did not have flash installed, and I had flash working in about 5 minutes this way. Let's hope it works as well for 9.2 *crossing fingers*

Download flash-plugin rpm for Mdk 9.2.

Pull up konqueror, (or nautilus) and go to where you downloaded it. Double click on the flash-plugin rpm package and it should install. Let me know if it complains about any dependencies, (it didn't in Mdk 9.0).

If not, try mozilla out..

http://ruslug.mutgers.edu/macromedia/site_ru.html

thx, it shows the plugin as installed now... now just to get java up n running wink well, at least we r making progress

ok, how can delete all the old java files and start over with installing java? maybe that'll get it to work...

Quote:
thx, it shows the plugin as installed now... now just to get java up n running wink well, at least we r making progress
But is it working?

yeh, i tested it at multiple sites

the 1 u gave, homstarrunner.com, etc...

all i need is java to work now

Neus, this is how I got java plugins to work for me in RH 9. I suppose you've guessed by now, that as we experienced today, things are often not the same between distros. This *should* work for you with Mdk 9.2 but we won't know until we try..

Download NetBeans IDE v 3.5.1 with J2SE v 1.4.2 COBUNDLE "Linux (.bin)" from here.

Open a terminal and "cd" to the directory where you downloaded it, then, as root, type:

./j2sdk-1_4_2-nb-3_5_1-bin-linux.bin [enter]

Follw the instructions for installation.

After you have done the java install, you must now tell mozilla where the proper plugin is by creating a symlink between your .mozilla/plugins directory and the corosponding plugin in the java file. make sure you have a file named "plugins" (without quotes) in your .mozilla directory. If not, create one.

You can do the following from the command line, but here's an easy way to create the symlink you need. Bring up two instances of konqueror on your desktop and place them side by side. In one go to:

/opt/j2sdk_nb/j2sdk1.4.2/jre/plugin/i386/ns610

In the other, go to:

/home/whatever your home directory is called/.mozilla/plugins

You will see the plugin in the java diectory called libjavaplugin_oji.so

Now, click and drag it to your /home/whatever your home directory is called/.mozilla/plugins

directory and release it. A box will come up giving you a choice of : copy here, move here, link here, cancel. Click on "link here."

Done! smile

Quote:

[neus@localhost neus]$ cd Documents
[neus@localhost Documents]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost Documents]# ./j2sdk-1_4_2-nb-3_5_1-bin-linux.bin
bash: ./j2sdk-1_4_2-nb-3_5_1-bin-linux.bin: Permission denied
[root@localhost Documents]#

i think java hates me... and i double checked file name in all.. its correct.. and im in the correct dirrectory... im in root and it still wont allow me

ps: goodnight n goodmornin to ya dan wink ahh.. isnt it reassuring that ill always be here with a ton of problems... wink

I'm really sorry! My mistake! I left out that you've got to change the permissions of the file before you can open it. The quickest way is from a terminal as root go...

chmod 777 j2sdk-1_4_2-nb-3_5_1-bin-linux.bin [enter]

It was late here, and I was a little bleary eyed from the weekend. I was afraid I was going to leave out something! I checked it 3 times and still did! sorry! frown

Quote:
ahh.. isnt it reassuring that ill always be here with a ton of problems... wink
The thing though is that I, and especially you are learning a great deal that will help make things far easier later on. smile

frownfrown mans my girlfriend dumped me, failed school, and its all because you messed up on giving me that 1 command line... lol jk laugh na, it looks like its gonna work... install going good..ill post back if it works wink

ok.. umm

this file doesnt exist here

/opt/j2sdk_nb/j2sdk1.4.2/jre/plugin/i386/ns610

i do have a

/root/j2sdk_nb/j2sdk1.4.2/jre/plugin/i386/ns610

containing that.. problem is... ive tried linking the 1 at the root to /home/neus/.mozilla/plugins... doesnt show up under the plugin page, and i tested and it didnt show the applets still...

*edit*

should i put the plugin where you told me, or to

/usr/lib/mozilla-1.4/plugins/

???

i dont understand all this file junk and where to put yet really...

umm/??? right?? oh yeh... whered u get that windows emulator... are there any free ones? cause i would like a windows emulator on my machine...

;( ;( ;( whered ur post go?

*EDIT*

oops.. somehow my reply to the other post of urs in the missing icons topic got put here... 8)

So Mandrake put it under root. It should work ok there, but you may have to change permissions so you can use it. As root, go...

cd /root [enter]

Then:

chmod 755 -R j2sdk_nb/ [enter]

That should change the permissions to where you can use it.

If this does not work, you may have to use the other plugin...(see next post..)

You may have to do this again, but with an adjustment. From this point go...

Bring up two instances of konqueror on your desktop and place them side by side. In one go to:

/opt/j2sdk_nb/j2sdk1.4.2/jre/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32

(Notice everything is the same except you'll be using the plugin in ns610-gcc32 instead of ns610)

In the other, go to:

/home/whatever your home directory is called/.mozilla/plugins

You will see the plugin in the java diectory called libjavaplugin_oji.so

Now, click and drag it to your /home/whatever your home directory is called/.mozilla/plugins

directory and release it. A box will come up giving you a choice of : copy here, move here, link here, cancel. Click on "link here."

Quote:
;( ;( ;( whered ur post go?
*EDIT*
oops.. somehow my reply to the other post of urs in the missing icons topic got put here... 8)

LOL! That's because I accidently put it here rather than over there, then deleted it here to put it over there! You must have seen it here and replied to it in the minute or so it was here before I realized my mistake! LOL!