Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Neus

hey dan.. lol, another problem...

ok... ive been trying to get plug ins for my mozilla to work.. but they just dont wanna work... ive tried installing both java and flash plug ins, i restart browser... and then it tells me to install again... both said they installed succesfuly too

You just want the world don't you!! wink

Seriously, give me a few hours while I fetch my notes, (in my brain) and I'll tell you how to install both.. smile

lol, sry for buggin ya so much.. nyways, its 3 am here (how time flies when ur on linux ;)) So I may go to bed n start fresh tomarrow.... thx for all ur help so far though..

OK..download this.

From a terminal, "cd" to the directory where you downloaded it and as root type:

gunzip install_flash_player_6_linux.tar.gz [enter]

then:

tar xvf install_flash_player_6_linux.tar [enter]

this will create a directory called: install_flash_player_6_linux

Now, go into that directory by...

cd install_flash_player_6_linux [enter]

and type:

ls [enter]

This will dispaly the contents of install_flash_player_6_linux which will look like this:

flashplayer-installer libflashplayer.so readme.txt

flashplayer.xpt ReadMe.htm

Then type:

sh flashplayer-installer [enter]

Now follow the directions. When it gets to the part where it asks:

Please enter the installation path of the Mozilla, Netscape,

or Opera browser (i.e., /usr/lib/mozilla):

you will type:

usr/lib/mozilla-1.2.1 (or whatever version you have) [enter]

Continue to follow the directions. After installation is complete, go here and tell me if you see a regular looking website or if you just get a big blank page. If everything looks normal at this web page, then you have successfully installed flash player. Now onto java which is slightly more complicated..

nope... just asks me to install the plugin... again... maybe ill try another mozilla install

Quote:
nope... just asks me to install the plugin... again... maybe ill try another mozilla install

And you didn't run into any problems when installing? If you didn't then there is no reason why that should not have worked.

still aint workin.. pizing me off too... gah... theres some times unfortantly that i actualy like how windows was made... (cource theres not enough of those to outweigh linux :))

*edit*

cant get either to work... i followed ur instructions directly too...

Neus, I can remember several times that I wanted to put my fist through a wall while thinking, "NOTHING is worth this!!!" In the beginning Linux admittedly can be very frustrating. The reason is because you necessarily have to be involved in the computing process rather than having someone else make it to where you just click here and click there. Just stay with it and try to learn from your mistakes. Mistakes are the only way one can learn anything! smile

There will come a time when you will accomplish something with Linux that will make you swell up with pride! That moment will come, but you have to be patient! Stay with it, and in the end it will pay off! Trust me! I am SOOOOOOO glad I didn't cave, and go back to Windows, when there were several times I almost did! If I can learn Linux, anyone can! smile

Quote:
still aint workin.. pizing me off too... gah... theres some times unfortantly that i actualy like how windows was made... (cource theres not enough of those to outweigh linux :))

*edit*
cant get either to work... i followed ur instructions directly too...

check in /usr/lib and see what version of Mozilla is there. It should be mozilla-1.2.1. At this point in the operation, is it saying anything that sounds like it's not finding your Mozilla?

no mozilla is there.. musta installed it wrong.. lol... oop smile help?

the basic problem i have is how the freg you install everything.... thats where i screw up...

You shouldn't have to install Mozilla, it already comes as a standard browser with Mdk unless you somehow did not install it. Go to a terminal and type:

mozilla [enter]

Is it there?

So are you saying that when you type:

mozilla [enter]

at a terminal, you aren't getting the mozilla browser at all??

yeh im sure.... i think i may have installed the files wrong n junk... and if i wasnt supposed to instal... yeh.. thatd explain it.. lol...

OK, so what we must have here is no Mozilla at all. (are you using all small letters when typing "mozilla" into a terminal and pressing enter?) No wonder flash wouldn't work! laugh

Go to a terminal and as root type:

urpmi mozilla [enter]

Your computer may at this point beg for the install cds, so do as it says to do.

If you do, Mozilla should get installed without problems..

8) what would i do without you... thx... now i can try installing those things again... lool

ok, i have mozilla, and i tried installing java and flash again, and failed... should i wipe out the old directories that i made such as .mozilla inside my /home/username/ files? if so how do you delete the hidden files?

*edit*

also now when i go to a site, instead of it poping up sayin i need to download, it just shows the plugin icon, and does nothing... (but it isnt loading the plugin)

*edit again*

Ok, got a bigger problem now, my konsole dissapeared, look for more details in that topic, please help solve that one first... i want my konsole back frown

*edit again... again again....*

Hey i solved my problem.. got some shortcuts back up, but i found it still worked with the alt f2 then type konsole in.... so im good.. still need help on plugins tho

lol... wakkkeee upppp dannnnn.... have a nice rest? lol.... :x Im kinda loosing it here....

Me past few hours= laugh :x

ah well, im gonna go watch a movie for a bit... get some rest from comp... ill be back soon most likely.... if u even wake up... lol

Hi again! Yes , I actually had to sleep.. x)

Neus, if flash is not working, then there is likely something going wrong during the install. Are you able to run the installer from the command line as root? When you run the flash installer, is it giving directions and asking for path etc? You need to tell us about any problems or errors it is giving you along the way, so we can know how to correct it. Tell me how far you get with the flash installer, and if everything is going as it should. That will help me figure out how I can help you. smile

What the konsole says during install of flash

Quote:

[neus@localhost install_flash_player_6_linux]$ su

Password:

[root@localhost install_flash_player_6_linux]# sh flashplayer-installer

Copyright© 2002 Macromedia, Inc. All rights reserved.

Macromedia Flash Player 6 for Linux

Macromedia Flash Player 6 will be installed on this machine.

You are running the Macromedia Flash Player installer as the "root" user.

Macromedia Flash Player 6 will be installed system-wide.

Support is available at http://www.macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/

To install Macromedia Flash Player 6 now, press ENTER.

To cancel the installation at any time, press Control-C.

NOTE: Macromedia Flash Player requires two font packages

to be installed, ttfonts and urw-fonts.

Press ENTER to continue...

NOTE: Please exit any browsers you may have running.

Press ENTER to continue...

Please enter the installation path of the Mozilla, Netscape,

or Opera browser (i.e., /usr/lib/mozilla): /usr/lib/mozilla-1.4/

WARNING: A newer version of the Macromedia Flash Player has been detected in

/usr/lib/mozilla-1.4//plugins.

The installer will overwrite this existing binary.

----------- Install Action Summary -----------

Macromedia Flash Player 6 will be installed in the following directory:

Browser installation directory = /usr/lib/mozilla-1.4/

Proceed with the installation? (y/n/q): y

Installation complete.

Perform another installation? (y/n): n

Please log out of this session and log in for the changes to take effect.

The Macromedia Flash Player installation is complete.

[root@localhost install_flash_player_6_linux]#

So it should be working right??? WRONG... geez.. this is annoying...

By the way, do u have a aMSN or sumtin? would make talking alot faster.... and goodmorning .. night here.. but who cares?

In Mozilla, go to "help" in the top toolbar and click on "about pluggins." A page should then come up telling you which plugins are installed. Look at the bottom of the page. Does it say, "application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash" is enabled?

nope, heres the whole page

Quote:

Installed plug-ins

Find more information about browser plug-ins at Netscape.com.

Help for installing plug-ins is available from plugindoc.mozdev.org.

Default Plugin

File name: libnullplugin.so

The default plugin handles plugin data for mimetypes and extensions that are not specified and facilitates downloading of new plugins.

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled

* All types .* Yes

So.. i dont see any plugins loading in... but they show?? gahhh