Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Asylum

WIN2k(rc 2128) Quake3 and SMP

Has anyone found out what the deal with this whole mess is.. From what I have been seeing.. It is a driver problem.. Are they going to have this fixed when Quake3 is released or when Win2k is released.. I don't know about you guys but I got 800 Mhz of raw horse power waiting to push Quake 3 to the max, and I am getting kind of sick of waiting..

This is a Win2k problem... It will be hashed out for sure in the release version, or ID software will surely make a patch or something... I know how you feel.. I have dual Pentium II 600's... with 256 megs of ram.... 1.2Ghz for crying out loud...

Hell of a nice setup you got there. Have you tried SMP quake3 under NT4? Hit me up with some benchmarks off of the beast if you get a chance.

I am currently running dual celeron 400s @ 450mhz(until I find better coolers than the stock intel ones, stablility is more important for me) and NT4 SP5 128bit with a Creative Labs TNT2 Ultra clocked at 180/205(using powerstrip). With Q3 setup with smp enable at 1024x768 with 16 bit colors and textures and everything else graphically maxed I get 52fps. With SMP disabled I get 47-48. What I notice is it smooths out the parts where it used to bog down(right after the play machineguns JohnC in the demo). I havent tried running them at 500 or above but I imagine the gain is small due to hitting the fill rate of the TNT2 has already been achieved.

------------------

BJ

NT4 with sp5 hmm.. I am still waiting to see if they can get smp working under win2k.. My guess is the increase in adding another processor will be more noticable in win2k.. I guess what we really need to happen, is for Windows 2000 to be released, and for some one to make a multi threaded driver..

judging by all of this, I gather that the downlaod I just did of Quake 3 was a waste of time for 2128??

How did you come to that conclusion? Q3 works fine in win2k just don't bother trying SMP. Which is what this postis about SMP NOT working not Q3 not working :0

smp worked for me a few weeks ago!

Dual PII 450 with CLTNT...

I beleve the TNT-driver brake the smp-support in Q3 (since it worked before I upgradet to ver 3.53...

Lasse

I am still not sure that it is a driver problem. I used the nt4 drivers when trying to get smp to work. Well if smp with those same drivers works under NT and not win2k, that leads me to believe that its a problem with win2k, and not the driver. I also think this is the first time that smp has been supported in a major released game, so maybe the drivers are screwed. If no one ever had to worry about it in the past then it may be awhile before they setup their drivers.

just installed win2k pro build 2151.. r_smp 1 doesn't work too... if you got a solution lemme know...

thx

Where did you get you hands on that release.

I also noticed another posting that said that quake3 won't work with rc2. I just want to not that this is not true. I have had quake running under rc2 just fine. Though I got 30 fps drop vs win98, and a 5-10 fps drop vs rc1.

well what i was saying is that the dual cpus still doen't work under quake3. (no matter if it is a driver or a OS problem) smile.gif

i will install nt4 drivers to see what happens smile.gif

So I don't suppose that you can get 2151 to me somehow.. I still don't think that smp will work with q3 untill after the release of q3 and win2k.

no sorry.. i can't get it to you.. a friend gave it to me(he's got cable) i'm only on ISDN would take a looooot of time smile.gif...

if the post that said he would have had smp with q3 and win2k running was right the solution would be to get an older tnt2 win2k driver?.. ne1 knows where i can get one?..already tried nvidia etc..

thx

Heck guys, I can't get Q3A to work with a single processor.. let alone SMP Can ya help?

I just heard that the newest release of win2k (2170) still doesn't support smp with quake3. Just thought you all should know..

I know what you mean.. The first computer I built was a single processor 400 pentium2. I built it in time for the q2 release. So this yeah I built a dual machine for quake3. I am just waiting for a john carmack .plan update that contains this line:

Got SMP working under w2k.

Later.

I'm still waiting for Win2k to support SMP in q3, have quite a bit of processor power to throw at it. Dual 700 MHz coppermines running at 133 MHz FSB to equal 931 per processor (yes, they are *very* cooled).

Now if they would only fix SMP support in the Aureal Vortex2 chips, I would be set. That and some support for all the goodies on the Voodoo 3500.

Just wondering.. Where did you get a hold of two coppermine processors? What board are you useing? And how did you determine that mhz? If they are coppermine processors, are they 7 * 100, I think this is version a, or are they 7 * 133 (733mhz). This should be a version b?

Well im sorry to hear about all of you saying that Q3 wont work with SMP.

Well i have to tell you.. that for me.. its working fine in a QUANTEX DUAL P-III 450 with NT 4. and Windows 2000 RC2.. i have a TNT 2 and a Voodoo2 12MB with reference drivers.. and it works with both video card.. glide or default opengl. So im thinking that im very lucky.

Regards

peaje

I don't know what your sorry about.. I am sorry that you can't read.. The topic is Win2k: Quake3 and SMP.. All of us here know that it will run under NT.. But under win2k there would probably be a big increase in frame rate..

Later..

P.S. If your going to post, post something related to the topic..

For Asylum, here are the specs for my system:

Motherboard: Asus P2B-DS

CPU: 700 MHz Coppermine (7x100) (2x)

RAM: 128MB PC133 SDRAM (4x)

Video: Voodoo3 3500TV

Sound: Creative SB PCI128

(This is temporarily replacing my MX300)

NIC: 3Com 3C905C 10/100

Other devices:

Adaptec 3950U2

Tekram DC-310

The 2 coppermines are *supposed* to run at 100MHz. I am running a very customized cooling system to allow the processors to run at a 133 FSB, which is 931 MHz (7 x 133).

Oh my god.. That is the best system I have ever heard of.. You must be rolling in the dough.. If quake3 and smp ever gets fixed, I may have to hook up with you some time to see that bad boy..

What the hell, else did you build that system for.. Trying to win at Setiathome? Net backbone server?

I bet 3dstudio max would run slick as hell on your beast! Not to mention bsp compiling..

Kick ass.. Thxs for the techy wood!

Later..

Well, I am a Unix Admin, so I get paid ok... This is actually my home system, which I use to do 3D modeling, playing games, Photoshop, Real-time sound mixing/editing, cracking RC5 (Join team #6729 today!), surfing pr0n, listening to mp3s, and hopefully soon playing q3 in SMP and being able to watch TV (once 3dfx gets off their asses).

I would love to get together sometime. I am currently re-designing the case. It was a normal full tower, but I am sticking this thing in an old HP Netserver pedistal instead. I am going to put pictures of it up online once I finish it, so I'll shoot you the URL.

=]