Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jason Pankiewicz

NT and Q3 SMP fps?!

I got NT workstation 4.0 running on my dual celeron system last night. I ran some timedemos in quake3 and was very disappointed. With r_smp 1 I get 2-5 fps LOWER than with r_smp 0 in any resolution, any graphics settings. Can someone explain this, reading Firingsquads Dual Celeron benchmarks there fps numbers are quite a bit higher with smp enabled. Am I doing something wrong? I did notice there test system was running service pack 5 and I'm currently running 4, could that make much difference. Other than that I have basically the same system, cel 366's @550...a TNT ultra, and 256mb of Micron pc100 8ns ram.

------------------

Jasonian

I ran Server 4.0, SP5, on my Abit BP6, 366 celerons @ 523 Mhz, and CL Ultra TNT2, and I saw an enormous improvement with SMP 1. I bought this system for the sole purpose of Quake 3.

With r_smp 0 I get (in my detail settings) around 85-90 fps in the new demo 1.

with r_smp 1 I get 110 fps. If I turn all the detail settings down as low as possible, I get 128 fps. TNT2 is NOT overclocked.

You really need a fast video card to help with SMP quake 3... i wrote a review some months ago and gave it to a friend...

http://www.g200.com/archives/July99/July.htm

july 22...

if you get a nice fast tnt2 or maybe voodoo 3500, you should see favorible results...

unless i really dropped the image quality down, i got 0 increase in performance...