Compatible Support Forums
Rocco2524

<windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe HELP

Ok, on my moms work computer for some reason when I boot it up, the computer go to saying choose safe mode boot, normal boot, blah blah blah.

i can't choose any of the options the keyboard is not responding.

I've tried 3 different boards,no help at all.

1 was a USB other 2 were the normal boards.

Once the wait is over to automaticly choose a boot option, it says

<windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt.

How do i fix this?

I've even switched the HardDrive with a spare HD I have.

Still says the same thing...kinda weird for it say it on the second one....

but how do i fix all this with the keyboard not workin to.

i cant fix it cuz the keyboard or none of them will work....i cant press any key to enter windows setup.

Can you boot up the HDD when you install it in a different machine?

Hmmmm... that provides a problem, then. If you could get the OS to boot up using the same HDD in a different machine, you could help narrow down the choices. You may have an issue on your motherboard, but it's hard to say.

If a spare HDD won't boot up in the same machine (does it show the same message?), the it is a hardware failure. Make sure that all of the interior cables are firmly secured. While you are in there, check to see if there are any capacitors leaking goo or are popped up (although I'm sure your machine wouldn't even power up if this was the case).

I tryed a spare hdd it says the same thing, thats whats weird about the whole thing.

It sounds like something is wrong with the motherboard. You'll have to find someone that will let you try out the HDD on a different machine just to rule the HDD out, despite what's already been tried.

Have you tried booting up the machine with a boot disk?

There are really two ways. First, use the installation disk that came with your PC and reboot your machine. When the screen comes up, use the recovery console option. If you are still not able to use your keyboard at this point, then this option will not work.

While we on this, do you happen to know if your keyboard lights (Num lock, Caps lock, Scroll lock) light up when your system boots?

The other way is by creating a boot disk in Windows on a floppy disk. When in Windows Explorer, right-click on the A:\ drive and select Format. In the pop-up window, select create boot disk. I'm not sure if you will be able to use a boot disk created on a different machine, but try it out. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work. No harm done.

On some rare cases, the motherboard ps/2 port goes bad. The USB keyboard will only work when you have that option available (enabled) in the bios. Usually you get an error message that the keyboard is not present when the ps/2 port is not working. Your system also seems to have a problem with the hard drives, as well.

Can you enter the bios on start-up? How you do so usually depends on the motherboard in the system. As the system starts to boot, you should see a message on what key to push to get into the bios. Does the keyboard work when you try this?

Was the system working recently, or has the system not been used in a while and the problem occured when you tried to boot the system after a long period of not being used?

Yes actualy the numlock flashes on boot.

but then just doesent work or light up, The computer was used every day till this error happened.

and it does ask to go into bios, to press like F10, but I can't go into BIOS because of the keyboard not working.

Is there any possibility that the mouse and keyboard connections got switched?

Or, that one of the pins on the cable is bent?

What happends when you just leave the keyboard disconnected and try to boot the system?

Hello everybody!

I've just registerd to tell you about my problem.

It's also about ntoskrnl.exe (windows xp could not start...) like all the above.

I tried 2 keyboards (ps/2)- they didn't work on my computer, but did on other PC

I tried hdd on another computer - works well, windows boot perfectly and looks nothing is wrong with them

I can enter bios at the beggining and that's all I can do with my keyboard

When I created boot disk to enter dos, i was able to enter dos but could not type any commands

And I also tried to enter win xp when i've selected in bios halt on all errors but keyboard and computer also stops at loading and says windows could not start... ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupted.

I'm starting to suspect that there is something wrong with my motherboard.

Could somebody tell me what could be wrong?

Tnx

Was the system working well until the point that the error occured? In other words, this system had Win XP installed on it and was functioning? Or, did you try to pop in a disk with Win XP on it already?

What make and model motherboard is this, or the make and model of the system?

No new hardware or software was installed on the system when the problem started to occur?

I didn't installed any new hardware or even any new software. System was working perfectly until the point when the error occured.

Not even an another hard disk with a fresh instalation of win xp from win xp cd or from my previous ghost image works. It always reports the same error.

My mainboard is Asus K8N4-E Deluxe (AMD Sempron 2800+, 2X512 MB DDR 400 Mhz RAM, Radeon X550 256 MB, 200 GB Maxtor)

I never tammper with BIOS, in other words, MBO has it's original BIOS.

Hi Gang,

I just registered as well, because i am in the same boat as the above. I recently tried turning on my computer ater 2 months of inactivity, and smelt a burning smell. I thought it was the powersupply, so i transferred everthing over to a new case. After a few attempts, i finally got it started, however it is saying the same error message as above, and also none of my connections are working, either front or back. I can't get either a keyboard or mouse (ps2 or usb) working. any suggestions?

I have a Gigabye GA-8I955X Pro motherboard.

Im with these guys, just registered cause I'm getting this problem. I tried 2 different keyboards, a usb and a ps2 and they still aren't working. At this point is it even possible to re-format and if so how would i get to that?

Reading all these posts is interesting, as each person can have a different issue.

What you need to do is to try to determine where the issue is.

For example, reading my previously referenced article, there could be several issues that can cause the problem.

Firstly, on most systems, the bios will give you a clue on what is going on. If you get into the bios, look and see if the hard drive is failing. I just had this happen to me. The bios was not detecting the hard drive in question, so I ran some utilities from Samsung and the drive is indeed bad, Back for an RMA.

The issue with keyboard issues is more complex. If you try another PS/2 keyboard and it does not work, this leads you to a bad keyboard controller, or a problem with the port itself. If you try to use a USB keyboard, you must make sure that by default, USB keyboard support is enabled in the bios. This is not always the case, depending on the system. Also, most systems only like you to use the actual USB ports for a USB keyboard directly attached to the motherboard (the back panel). Some older systems don't support USB keyboards well at all.

If you had an overheating problem, or "burnt" smell happen, you need to determine what the problem actually is. The power supply is one possibility, but so is a fryed motherboard. Or, you had a bad power supply, but now have a short in the sysem, when you moved to a new case and power supply. I have to look up the article I once read, posted by another person on bad capacitors.

On way to test the system that is having these problems (I am a Linux user at heart) is to try a Live CD vesion of Linux. This way, all process are run in RAM and you can troubleshoot the system easier. If the keyboard and mouse work on a live CD, then you may have a problem with Windows in general, assuming that you can navigate in the bios with the keyboard, as well.

If you pop in your Windows CD and try to get into recovery mode, and the keyboard works, then you can repair Windows, assuming that you have a corrupted Windows environment. But, if you can't use the keyboard at all, then a hardware issue is probably at fault, most likely a motherboard failure.

I've seen a short in the system cause the keyboard/mouse issue. This often happens when transferring a motherboard, or installing a new one and there is a short between the motherboard and the case. You need to inspect your motherboard for any possible shorts/ contact with the motherboard and metal components in the case.

For the bad capacitor issue, see this article.

I would also crack the case and see if you have any large amounts of dust clogging the system, especially on the CPU fan.

I also just discovered, quite by accident, that my Windows instability issue on one of my systems was caused by overheating hard drives. I have four in my system and the hard drives were overheating. Improving the circulation on the system solved the issue. So, the main hard drive was failing due to overheating.

The motherboard's manufacturer page often will have a FAQ page that may sddress the issue, as well. That is why it is important to know what system or motherboard is being used (why we ask), as inherent problems have been identified and a firm solution exists. Sometimes it is a bios upgrade that is needed, or a driver software issue.

Detective work is what it is!

My version of this issue is that I don't know how to copy ntoskrnl.exe from my XP CD to my System32. I have a Thinkpad 47 and it speaks Greek. I tried Expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ C:\Windows\System32 but it wasn't having it. I don't know if the disk is on the D drive.

Finally! Others with the same issues. Here's what I've done so far . . .

The keyboard stopped responding on a customers Compaq rs1911x. I hooked up a new keyboard, restarted, and the new keyboard would not work. I rebooted and pressed F1 to enter BIOS. (it is the latest BIOS available for the PC) The system recognized the keyboard long enough to acknowledge the pressed F1 key, but when I entered BIOS, the keyboard was useless again. I also need to note that the keyboard and mouse both appear to be recognized in the startup POST. There is no message saying otherwise during POST.

I attached a USB keyboard and restarted. I could not F1 with the USB keyboard.

I attached a PS/2 keyboard, restarted, and pressed F10 to do a full system Recovery. The keyboard recognized the F10, but was useless for the rest of the installation. To my surprise, the mouse was also useless. I then attached a USB mouse, restarted, and again, no keyboard function. The only difference was that I was able to use the USB mouse to finish the recovery. Once the OS (Windows XP) was installed and I was in the GUI environment, I was able to attach the USB keyboard and VIOLA! I decided to restart and enter BIOS. Once again the keyboard recognized F1 but was useless in BIOS. When I restarted to get back into Windows, I received the error message <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

I had a brand new motherboard, same part number, in stock. I replaced the motherboard. SURPRISE! The same exact behavior. When I say SAME EXACT BEHAVIOR, I mean that I have repeated everything I typed above and get to the same point everytime where I get into the operating system and after the first restart, I get the error message <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. I cannot use the recovery console because the keybord won't work to get me to it.

I replaced the memory with brand new Crucial sticks. Same exact behavior.

I replaced the Power Switching Unit . . . Same exact behavior.

I unplugged the DVD drive . . . you guessed it! Same exact behavior.

I ordered a brand new CPU . . . when I received it and installed it . . . any guesses? Same exact behavior.

I have spent in excess of 6 hours in a real time chat with HP. They first recommended a Recovery. Then a new motherboard. Then a new CPU. After explaining each and every step, they finally said that the situation is unique and that I need to send them the computer so that they might try and figure it out. It's not under warranty and they want over $300 + shipping. Hello? I can build a much better system for less.

I am so frustrated!

I've been troubleshooting operating systems and testing and repairing hardware since 1983. I repair at least 2 to 4 computers and/or laptops every week.

My question is:

Could my issue possibly be that the PC Tower has a bad wire causing a short? Is that too much of a stretch? I have not replaced any wiring that connects the PC case to the motherboard . . . ie:

USB connection wires from the motherboard to the PC case

audio and mic wires from the PC case to the motherboard

or the front panel power switch and HDD/Power LED's.

Thanx so much for your time. I have my fingers crossed that maybe someone can help. I was shocked to see the same problems from the listings and I would really like to know whats up. I believe in the supernatural but this PC doesn't feel like it has that kind of energy around it. LOL. Any comments??

Insert your Xp disk into the CD drive, choose the boot from command prompt option in the menu that you are presented with

At the command prompt, type in the following:

copy d:\I386\Driver.cab c:\system32\ntoskrnl.exe /v

where d is the letter of your cd drive

press enter

Take the CD out when verified and reboot your computer

I too have this same issue with a hp 1000 cleared cmos got machine to post and stage like once got into windows and since i was in there I ran all kinds of programs adaware malerware reg seeker to try and clean it up the os on the sata drive seems intact whats freaky is I hooked up a ide drive that i know has a good os and got the same error and the keyboard issue is very consistent popped the cmos battery out and got lucky one more time on a good boot into the os while I was in there I figured I would install service pack 3 but to no avail I lost the keyboard again no f1 f2 f10 esc nothing when I did get into the os those couple of times playing around with the jumpers the option it gave me during post was to hit f1 or wait and of course f1 didn't work so I had to wait and when I waited it staged into windows and when I got into the os the keyboard worked in real time did a reboot and nothing right back to no keyboard and the same error message I think its a motherboard irq issue from the manufacture that is prone to defect the board itself dose not show any signs of damage to the naked eye I could never get the keyboard to let me in the bios I wish I could have, I would have liked to set it to usb keyboard support at a last attempt. any other thoughts before i tell my friend that were going to cannibalize it???

You might have a shortage or broken USB pin (inside the port) causing that. Unplug the front usb cables and memory card readers off the motherboard. that should work.