Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shassouneh

System Restore Blank Page. Tried several fixes, none of them worked!

Originally posted by Relic:

Quote:
If you don't have it, I can send it to you, it's only 13K.

All I can find is filelist.xm_

Dont think its the one--please send file

stealth83@nycap.rr.com

Originally posted by Stealth83:

Quote:

Quote:
If you don't have it, I can send it to you, it's only 13K.

All I can find is filelist.xm_

Dont think its the one--please send file

stealth83@nycap.rr.com

That is indeed the one but you will need to "expand" it. Either find a copy of expand.exe and do something like this

Start-> Run -> type "cmd" and click on OK, then enter the following command from you I386 folder

expand filelist.xm_ filelist.xml

Either that or try messing with the expander thats in msconfig. laughsmile

Quote:
Okay, got the kid dropped off at work, came home, had to take tyhe wife to her interview. Waited for her(she got the job smile )then came home. Started messing with Total Air War one more time, still can't get rid of the artifacts, decided I come pull out my hair over someone else's problems cause my own is frustrating the hell out of me, so here I am. laugh

So, in my "Restore" folder I have the following files:

filelist.xml

MachineGuid.txt

rstrlog.dat

rstrui.exe

srdiag.exe

srframe.mmf

Are all of those in your folder?

Congrats on the Wife's Job. laughsmile

Ok, here is what i have (It looks MachineGuid.txt is missing, but I might have deleted that at one point while toruble shooting this mess).

files3lt.jpg

expanded the file ok to filelist.xml placed in restore folder--tried sr, nothing still blank--I'll keep trying stuff for a solution

Thanks for the help

expanded the file ok to filelist.xml placed in restore folder--tried sr, nothing still blank--I'll keep trying stuff for a solution

Thanks for the help

sorry for double post--wont delete for me

How about both of you try deleting all but the six files I have in my folder, then reboot? My system restore works like a charm, with only six files in there, possibly that's the prob?

Finally fixed--I see this in this forum but missed it somehow--anyway worked for me.

regsvr32 jscript

regsvr32 vbscript

regsvr32 /i mshtml

there are single spaces

Thanks for the help

Stealth83

[Edited by Stealth83 on 2006-01-15 00:13:38]

Originally posted by Stealth83:

Quote:
Finally fixed--I see this in this forum but missed it somehow--anyway worked for me.

regsvr32 jscript

regsvr32 vbscript

regsvr32 /i mshtml

there are single spaces

Thanks for the help

Stealth83

[Edited by Stealth83 on 2006-01-15 00:13:38]

Already tried this millions of times to no avail! frown

Quote:
How about both of you try deleting all but the six files I have in my folder, then reboot? My system restore works like a charm, with only six files in there, possibly that's the prob?

OK, I followed your advice as best as I can. Here is what I have now.

files25vu.jpg

You will notice I have 2 missing files:

MachineGuid.txt and rstrlog.dat

However, you will also notice by looking at the previous screen shot that I did not seem to have them then either.

PS: Also notice: I seem to be able to run System Restore indirectly by manually typing in an adress in Internet Explorer. (See my previous posts in this thread for full details). Here is a sample of what I'm talking about:

sysrestore4un.jpg

What drives me nutts is that I can run system restore painfully and manually in IE (by clicking YES on some ActiveX security stuff) but I keep getting a blank system restore window!

I do believe that file is important to the operation of System restore:

MACHINEGUID.TXT

The global universal identification (GUID) of the restore folder. The system's

data store is located in \System Volume Informat1on\_restore(GUID}.

I know you've tried a gazillion things out, and although I've read this entire thread, I don't remember every single thing you've done, although I'm sure you do. Having said that, I found another page of Restore problems/fixes, maybe something here will help.

http://www.sierra-technical.com/systemrestore.htm

Quote:
I do believe that file is important to the operation of System restore:

MACHINEGUID.TXT

The global universal identification (GUID) of the restore folder. The system's

data store is located in \System Volume Informat1on\_restore(GUID}.

I know you've tried a gazillion things out, and although I've read this entire thread, I don't remember every single thing you've done, although I'm sure you do. Having said that, I found another page of Restore problems/fixes, maybe something here will help.

http://www.sierra-technical.com/systemrestore.htm

Dear Relic,

I thank you for expanding your patience to try to help me.

I took a quick look at the link you provided. It thoroughly runs down System Restore pretty nicely.

I also found it interesting that my machine GUID was in the System Volume Information.

I was wondering though what Machineguid.txt actually looks like. Could you post yours so i can see to it than i can recreate mine (obviously using my machine GUID instead of yours) ?

Thanx.

PS: I am still open to suggestions here as this problem is not going away! frown

OK I have this CRAZY idea. Check this out:

HKLM\System\Services\sr and HKLM\System\Services\srservice

regkeys6mg.jpg

OK. Since I cannot really make use of System Restore, I was wondering if coul DELETE those keys entirely (hopefully to force System Restore to start from scratch and recreate them for me).

However, I do NOT know how to backup/restore the registry so I can go back if things go under.

ALSO, I repeat that I CAN use System Restore manually (and quite painfully) by using Internet Explorer.

Go to the key or keys you want to delete, and select them. While they are selected right click and choose "export". Give it a name and it will create a file. Usually. .reg. And, it will save it to My Documents folder. Delete the keys. If they don't rebuild in the registry, then you can reinstall them from the .reg file you created.

To backup the whole registry, you can refer to this article: http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Windows-XP-Registry-Backup.html

You can 'recreate' the machineguid.txt.

On restore folder, doubleclick the srdiag.exe.

It'll create new .cab file.

Open it and you'll find your machineguid.txt.

machineguid.txt file just contains Globally Unique Identifier string, mine is "{4A8CFAF4-E170-4857-9DA5-71D7BBE27F50} ".

Originally posted by Wilhelmus:

Quote:
You can 'recreate' the machineguid.txt.

On restore folder, doubleclick the srdiag.exe.

It'll create new .cab file.

Open it and you'll find your machineguid.txt.

machineguid.txt file just contains Globally Unique Identifier string, mine is "{4A8CFAF4-E170-4857-9DA5-71D7BBE27F50} ".

Thanx for the tip. I just tried it and extracted the MachineGuid.txt file.

Also, i deleted the keys (after backing them up) and started up System Restore. Guess what? BLANK WINDOW!

So I ran regedit again to see if it recreated those keys and it did NOT.

So I am restoring those keys now.

I am STILL open to your suggestions, and I appreciate every single tip and suggestion put forth thus far. I just figured I'd try this to be thorough, and apparently it did not help

shassouneh,

I had the same problem and just solved it. With my problem Search did not work either "Start -> Search" also yielded a blank window. Additionally, I was having trouble installing Flash - it would just do nothing. In addition, USATODAY.com for instance would not show the changing window in the upper left-hand corner.

A few days ago I removed FSecure Anti-virus suite and installed McAfee 8.0i. Prior to installing McAfee, I created an install point, so I know it worked prior to the install. However, I had trouble removing F-Secure and due to the fact that I had previously had McAfee (an older version) I had to resort to heavy registry edits to remove all traces of both programs - as uninstall had issues.

On to how my system was fixed. I first tried registering the three dll's -

regsvr32 jscript

regsvr32 vb script

regsvr32 /i mshtml

I received an error on the vb script one - failed to register.

I then was going to install Restore by right clicking the file in the system32\resotre directory but the install option was not available (presumably because it was still installed). I ran the file srdiag.exe and left the widow it opens for about a minute - it created 6 to six log/txt files.

I then entered the string you provided to manually run Restore from IE, and it ran. I then created a restore point and browsed the calendar.

I left the IE window with Restore in it open and ran Restore from Control Panel / Performance and Maintenance / System Restore and it worked! Thinking that this was just because it was already running I closed restore (but not the window that I.E. creates and it ran again. I then closed all IE windows and it ran.

Rebooted and it works properly. Search now is now longer blank and when I launched IE the pages that previously had some issues work properly. Upon launching IE flash instantly started, it was ready to install - probably cued from my previous attempts.

Though it was not my original post - thanks to all who have posted.

Hope this helps you.

David

Originally posted by DavidConley:

Quote:
shassouneh,

I had the same problem and just solved it. With my problem Search did not work either "Start -> Search" also yielded a blank window. Additionally, I was having trouble installing Flash - it would just do nothing. In addition, USATODAY.com for instance would not show the changing window in the upper left-hand corner.

A few days ago I removed FSecure Anti-virus suite and installed McAfee 8.0i. Prior to installing McAfee, I created an install point, so I know it worked prior to the install. However, I had trouble removing F-Secure and due to the fact that I had previously had McAfee (an older version) I had to resort to heavy registry edits to remove all traces of both programs - as uninstall had issues.

On to how my system was fixed. I first tried registering the three dll's -

regsvr32 jscript

regsvr32 vb script

regsvr32 /i mshtml

I received an error on the vb script one - failed to register.

I then was going to install Restore by right clicking the file in the system32\resotre directory but the install option was not available (presumably because it was still installed). I ran the file srdiag.exe and left the widow it opens for about a minute - it created 6 to six log/txt files.

I then entered the string you provided to manually run Restore from IE, and it ran. I then created a restore point and browsed the calendar.

I left the IE window with Restore in it open and ran Restore from Control Panel / Performance and Maintenance / System Restore and it worked! Thinking that this was just because it was already running I closed restore (but not the window that I.E. creates and it ran again. I then closed all IE windows and it ran.

Rebooted and it works properly. Search now is now longer blank and when I launched IE the pages that previously had some issues work properly. Upon launching IE flash instantly started, it was ready to install - probably cued from my previous attempts.

Though it was not my original post - thanks to all who have posted.

Hope this helps you.

David

Dear David.

I thank you for taking the time and courtesy to respond to this thread.

I have already tried the regsvr32 tricks, and none of them did the job. I even followed your trail (opening system resotre in IE and leaving it open, etc) but I STILL get a blank window!!!

Anywho. I guess I will either have to rely soley on my Norton Ghost Images, or find a commercial alternative to System Restore.

Since we have tried practically everything imaginable, I don't think there's much "juice" left to this thread. Therefore, would a mod/admin kindly close this topic (to save resources).

Perhaps its would be agood idea to "Archive" this topic though so that people with the same problem at leats have access to some ideas what to try, as I think I have been pretty thorough in trying everything.

Not sure my problem was identical but certainly sounds similar.

I also had the blank Recovery screen, but also an error when trying to access User Accounts from Control Panel, and also am unable to use the Microsoft/Windows update site. I noted from an earlier post that when someone suggested you download and install Windows Script 5.6 you replied "I am unable to download this. This requires "Windows Advantage Validation" which fails on my machine for some reason." Well it also failed on my machine, just as all Windows update functions did, and this failure was related to the blank recovery screen as well.

However, the Windows Validation site offered an alternate method of validation that allows you to download and install a small program that you then run - it validates windows and provides you with a code number which you then paste back into a box on the Validation site. The program is called GenuineCheck (not sure that name actually appears on the site). Doing this, I was able to get around the fact that I couldn't use normal validation to initiate the downlad. I then downloaded, as was suggested back on page 1 or 2 of this thread, Windows Script 5.6 for Windows XP and Windows 2000:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/detai...;DisplayLang=en

After downloading and installing this, I rebooted. I then downloaded and ran what another had suggested:

the vbs script:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/reg/olereg.vbs

This fixed all of the problems noted above. I know you tried this script, but not clear you were able to download and install Windows Script 5.6 successfully before you ran it.

Hope this helps you or someone else having these types of problems.

Meant to include this in prior post: Link to description of problem I had:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/olereg.htm

"ActiveX controls may not load as expected in Internet Explorer due to defense in depth changes introduced in cumulative security update 896688

Published: Nov 13, 2005

Updated : Dec 04, 2005

When you open the User Accounts applet in the Control Panel, you may receive the following error message:

Wrong number of arguments or invalid property assignment

System Restore window is completely blank.

Windows Update page displays the following message even though the ActiveX control is already installed. Also, the Information bar does not appear, thus you're unable to re-install the Windows Update ActiveX control.

Install the ActiveX control required to view the website

Help and Support pages are incomplete.

System Information utility (MSINFO32) displays a blank window.

When you open Services.msc snap-in, the following error is displayed:

An error has occurred in the script on this page

Error: Object doesn't support this property or method

URL: res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\mmcndmgr.dll/views.htm

Organize Favorites dialog displays a Red X in Internet Explorer. (More info)

Resolution

This occurs due to missing OLE32 registration. You may use the following VBScript to correct the above problems. Download olereg.vbs and run the file."

As I noted, this solution worked, but only after I downloaded and installed the Windows Scripting noted in the previous post.

Originally posted by blibros:

Quote:
Meant to include this in prior post: Link to description of problem I had:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/olereg.htm

"ActiveX controls may not load as expected in Internet Explorer due to defense in depth changes introduced in cumulative security update 896688

Published: Nov 13, 2005

Updated : Dec 04, 2005

When you open the User Accounts applet in the Control Panel, you may receive the following error message:

Wrong number of arguments or invalid property assignment

System Restore window is completely blank.

Windows Update page displays the following message even though the ActiveX control is already installed. Also, the Information bar does not appear, thus you're unable to re-install the Windows Update ActiveX control.

Install the ActiveX control required to view the website

Help and Support pages are incomplete.

System Information utility (MSINFO32) displays a blank window.

When you open Services.msc snap-in, the following error is displayed:

An error has occurred in the script on this page

Error: Object doesn't support this property or method

URL: res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\mmcndmgr.dll/views.htm

Organize Favorites dialog displays a Red X in Internet Explorer. (More info)

Resolution

This occurs due to missing OLE32 registration. You may use the following VBScript to correct the above problems. Download olereg.vbs and run the file."

As I noted, this solution worked, but only after I downloaded and installed the Windows Scripting noted in the previous post.

Thanx for the reply.

I did indeed find a way around Windows Advantage and installed Windows Script 5.6. Rebooted, tried the olereg.vbs and rebooted again.

Result: BLANK SCREEN.

I am beyond convinced there is no fix for this unless I "repair" or re-install windows or format. All of which are MUCH more effort than its worth especially because everything else runs fine (apart from System Restore), and the fact that I can run System restore in a limited capacity via Internet Explorer.

Thanx for the feedback though. I really appreciate it.

Hello Shassouneh

I'm having a similar problem on my Mom's computer. My problem may be related more toward the "Reregistering Jscript.dll and Vbscript.dll" that was mentioned in earlier posts. Unfortunatly, I am not in front of that computer at the moment to try any of the fixes suggested. I will try them as soon as I can and relay any success I have.

The reason for the post though was to tell you how I got to this point. Maybe you'll find the info useful, (Or give me some useful info back!)

I contracted a adware infection (they should be called viruses) called SpySheriff thanks to some vunerabilty in the Picture/Fax Viewer. I used System Restore successfully to roll back a couple of days so I know at this point it was working. But the infection was still there. I ran Ad-Aware, Spy-Bot, and Microsoft's Anti-Spyware Beta and somewhere managed to get rid of the SpySheriff.

At this point, I think it still has an adware called NOTN or something like that. Causes groups of pop-ups every couple of minutes. I tried to run the adware sweepers again, in and out of safe-mode but the problem is still there. (I found a temp fix is to end the Process WTTA.EXE)

I for some stupid reason (cause I'm a cheap you know what) I TRIED to install "Norton Antivirus 6" somthing from their website. The installtion failed about half way through. This is were things got really BAD! Upon rebooting, almost all of the icons on the desktop were the generic unassociated icon (you know the one) and nothing would run. I would get a error stating the file needed to be associated with a program. Here is where the blank SysRestore window started.

After a couple of days of trying to fix it myself, then later trying email support from Norton (which proved unless) I broke down and called Norton Tech Support. The tech had me adjust my permissions in the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT". This is where I noticed there is no "Administrator(s)" account in the root permissions window. Only Everyone, SYSTEM, and a named user account. This didn't seem to bother the tech. He had me adjust Everyone, and SYSTEM permissions to "FULL CONTROL" and under advanced to "Inherit from Parents...". This cleared up the association problem. But when I tried to use SysRestore, I got a blank window. When I tried Search Files/Folders, The window was blank except for the little dog at the bottom. I also cannot install Flash and there are a handful of other things that are happening.

Hope the above can be of some use to you. (Sorry for the long-winded-ness!)

Hello, I'm new here but had a same problem with an XP PC of friends. No restaure, no user profile, no system informations.

I found a place (sorry, a french one) where they make diagnostics from the Hijackthis report ; they found a couple of trojan, registry keys to fix and sevices to de-activate.

I had to run EasyCleaner and Ewido but it worked perfectly !!!!

I had things like :\WINDOWS\System32\ winsystems.exe to be removed

I had to stop Services like : Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect and ScriptBlocking Service

You can try sending your hijackthis report to :

http://forum.zebulon.fr/index.php?showforum=51

Good luck

Hi Folks

I have been scratching my head over this issue today on a customers machine. I found your solutions made good reading and tried a few with no luck. The following however worked for me:

Open Internet Explorer, click tools, internet options.

On the general tab "delete cookies" and "delete files" *inc ofline content"

On the security tab reset all zones to default level.

On the programs tab reset web settings. (I didn't reset my home page)

On the advanced tab I reset defaults.

Restart computer.

This worked for me and I hope for you. I am unsure at this point which section actualy resolved the issue, just glad that it did.

Well, I was about to give up restore the whole system back to original spec's using the built in HP System Recovery. When I executed it, it poped up with a window saying that I should try Windows System Restore option first and had a button to go to it. I laughed and clicked the button thinking "What the hay?!" and guess what, it worked! I had the System Restore function again. I rolled the system back to 2 weeks before I believe everything went wrong and POOF, everything is straight!

I tried everything listed in this thread to no avail. I don't know what the button did that everything else didn't but it worked.

Oh well, such as a Windows' System! (God, I miss my Atari 800!) 8)

Look at the following link: http://www.wincustomize.com/articles.aspx?SID=1&AID=83294&c=1

I used it, had similar issues and it fixed the problem!

In short do the following:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type regsvr32 jscript.dll, and then click OK.

3. Click OK.

4. Click Start, and then click Run.

5. In the Open box, type regsvr32 vbscript.dll, and then click OK.

6. Click OK.

Good luck!