Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shassouneh

System Restore Blank Page. Tried several fixes, none of them worked!

Originally posted by Relic:

Quote:
I quoted myself there, should have gone to bed early, heh. laugh

That was in answer to this post: Posted on 2006-01-03 08:09:50 by shassouneh smile

hehe its OK. I got it.

I repeat my sentiment about XP being flaky. This is just ridiculous that I have to REPAIR windows XP to get this problem fixed (note: I say REPAIR even though i really mean RE INSTALL WINBLOZE XP).

I loved the fact that in 2000 you could repair without having to re-install the OS.

Thanx for the input everyone. I think I am left with no choice but to repair. I am CONVINCED however that a repair might not fix the problem, so I'll keep you posted.

OK Folks. This is messed up. Even Windows repair does not work! It hangs at "34 minutes remaining - Installing Devices". Luckily I made a Ghost Image before doing any of this so I can always go back to that.

Can someone please help me fix this System Restore nonsense so i can put my mind at ease?

There have been so many suggestions that this is getting dizzying. Did you perchance run srdiag.exe?

You may already have tried this. Seems like we are scraping the bottom of the barrel:

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore.

If a "DisableSR" value doesn't exist, go to the Edit menu, select New, DWORD value, and create the value.

Set the value to 1 to disable System Restore or 0 to enable System Restore.

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sr to prevent the System Restore service from starting.

Double-click Start, and set the value to 4 to stop the service from starting or to 0 for normal startup. Close the registry editor.

After making SR disabled in services, try to open SR (no reboot) in CP/Services if it says "SR is off, would you like to turn on", say yes and and see if it will run.

Originally posted by Sampson:

Quote:
You may already have tried this. Seems like we are scraping the bottom of the barrel:

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore.

If a "DisableSR" value doesn't exist, go to the Edit menu, select New, DWORD value, and create the value.

Set the value to 1 to disable System Restore or 0 to enable System Restore.

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sr to prevent the System Restore service from starting.

Double-click Start, and set the value to 4 to stop the service from starting or to 0 for normal startup. Close the registry editor.

After making SR disabled in services, try to open SR (no reboot) in CP/Services if it says "SR is off, would you like to turn on", say yes and and see if it will run.

Yup tried that too. Didn't work. I even tried that and restarted, and still no go.

As for srdiag.exe, I did run it. It did absolutely nothing though! I even tried srdiag.txt > log.txt at the command line, and it just stood there doing nothing. CTRL-C and checked the size of log.txt. 0 bytes!

Ok I have just manually pulled KB896688 from Microsoft's Download site (NOT Windows Update) and installed it.

I know what you're thinking: WHY? WHY do this when various reports hint to KB896688 being a probable cause? Well I did it in the spirit of trying EVERYTHING, even if it means getting the update manually and installing it manually rather than going through windows update in any way. So what happened after I installed this and rebooted? Now System Restore will not work AT ALL (not even via the indirect method described earlier).

Seeing as this did not acheive what I had wished for, I have now un-installed KB896688 and rebooted. Now I can still use System Restore using the indirect method, but still get a blank screen If i try running System Restore the normal Way.

So what did we learn from this little experiment?

1.) The problem ONLY occurs in System Restore. This is both good and bad news. Good news because nothing else seems to be affected, and bad because it bugs me A LOT (more than you can imagine). I am trying to prep my machine to be "As perfect as it gets" so I can ghost it. I hate to be forced to accept that system restore would have to be manipulated manually to make any use of it, and I do NOT wish to format and redo all that work I did to get my machine into a "ghostable" state.

2.) The problem is most probably NOT related to KB896688. Proof: Installing it only proved to disable System Restore completely, whereas with it not installed the problem still exists!

I am still open to any and ALL suggestions, and I greatly appreciate all previous input. Please keep it coming folks.

I think the problem is due to a registry key permission in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software area. Unfortunately I don't know which one, but I had this experience.

I had the same System Restore blank screen after editing the permissions for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software. In my case I think it was due to checking the 'Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects' box under Advanced settings.

I fixed it by setting up this key to just have an 'Everyone' group name with Full Control, then again checking the 'Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects' box.

I was able then to access System Restore and use it to restore to a point before I started to mess with the registry.

As you can probably tell, I'm no expert on registry editing, so you can try this at your own risk - good luck!

Originally posted by jmw07:

Quote:
I think the problem is due to a registry key permission in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software area. Unfortunately I don't know which one, but I had this experience.

I had the same System Restore blank screen after editing the permissions for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software. In my case I think it was due to checking the 'Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects' box under Advanced settings.

I fixed it by setting up this key to just have an 'Everyone' group name with Full Control, then again checking the 'Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects' box.

I was able then to access System Restore and use it to restore to a point before I started to mess with the registry.

As you can probably tell, I'm no expert on registry editing, so you can try this at your own risk - good luck!

Thanx for your input. I figured I'd try what you mentioned, as I'm out of ideas. I can't even get that far. I get an ugly error message which basically means I cannot do it. (See below). Please do note that i have full administrative privelages! frown

nope2pg.jpg

PS: NO, even the registry keys whos permissions HAVE been set did NOT help me get rid of thios problem!

I'm reluctant to repeat my episode mentioned before to confirm the facts, but as I recall that when it came to the 'fix', I only had one entry in the 'Group or user names' on the Permissions for Software - that was Everyone.

Also on Advanced Security Settings for Software there was either no entry, or just the one: Everyone - Full Control.

Finally I think the 'Inherit from parent ...' checkbox was unchecked, while the 'Replace permission entries ...' checkbox was checked.

You could try again with these settings - but as I said before I'm no expert and can only say what worked for me.

Originally posted by jmw07:

Quote:
I'm reluctant to repeat my episode mentioned before to confirm the facts, but as I recall that when it came to the 'fix', I only had one entry in the 'Group or user names' on the Permissions for Software - that was Everyone.

Also on Advanced Security Settings for Software there was either no entry, or just the one: Everyone - Full Control.

Finally I think the 'Inherit from parent ...' checkbox was unchecked, while the 'Replace permission entries ...' checkbox was checked.

You could try again with these settings - but as I said before I'm no expert and can only say what worked for me.

Once again, thanx for your input. I would try forcing just the everyone group, but as you can imagine this poses a security issue. Furthermore, I don't beleive HKLM\Software was designed so that anyone and everyone has full access to it. That being said, if indeed the issue CAN be resolved by this, then i will leave it to micro$oft to fix their mistake.

Messing with the registry is both undelightful and "dangerous" at best. So if there is no other option but to edit the registry, perhaps Micro$oft can fix their buggy software. SP3 anyone? hehe

Please let me know if you are ever able to resolve this. I currently have this issue with a computer in my office and am trying to avoid doing the install thing. I have spent about all the time I care to on this. So PLEASE email me direct if you ever find a fix!!

Thank you,

Aimee

Are you using any Norton products? We use Norton anti-virus 9.xx. Could there be a connection?

Thanks again!

Originally posted by akkhir:

Quote:
Are you using any Norton products? We use Norton anti-virus 9.xx. Could there be a connection?

Thanks again!

The ONLY norton product i "approve" of using is Norton Ghost 2003. I have learned the hard way to shy away from everything Norton (except Ghost 2003 and Partition Magic 8.05 [which happens to be not really a Norton/Symantec product to beign with] )

I will let you know IF I ever get this issue resolved.

Originally posted by Wilhelmus:

Quote:

1) regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll

2) http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/kb896688_fix.zip

3) When you have tried to open system restore, check your event viewer (eventvwr.msc) for errors/warnings generated by "sr", "srservice" or any other source.

I have already tried this. To be thorough, I tried your steps 1, 2, and 3 in order.

1.) Registered OK

2.) Ran the .exe it told me all my registry keys where fine.

3.)

a.) Ran System Restore (Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore)

b.) Checked Event Logs. NO Events WHATSOEVER relating to System Restore or sr at all today! frown

Result: System Restore STILL shows a blank Window

Issue status: UNRESOLVED

Originally posted by crl:

Quote:
I had the same problem, blank window on system restore. I tried loads of things to fix it but nothing worked.

This one worked for me:

download the Windows Script 5.6 from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

I then run this utility IEFIX

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

It worked for me!

smile

Thanx for the input.

I had already tried Installing Windows Scripting Host 5.6, and re-installing IE (which the IEFIX program does). Result: Blank Window.

For the sake of thoroughness, I decided to take you up on your advice and INstall WSH 5.6 anyways, followed by running the IEFix.exe and followed by a restart.

Result: System Restore STILL shows a blank Window.

Status / Result: Issue UNRESOLVED. System Resotre still shows a blank window!

You have three choices.

1) Do a repair install of XP, fix the problem.

2) Copy all the files that are required by "restore" using the recovery console, after booting from the CD, and fix the problem.

3) Continue going on about this problem ad-nausium until XP is obsolete and Vista has taken over, then we'll all just tell you to upgrade your version of Windoze.

I suggest option two first, the recovery console is quite simple to use and will probably fix the problem. If you choose not to do this, use option one, this will definitely fix the problem.

You say you don't want to do a repair install of XP because it takes too long. Not to be rude, but if you took the time you've spent in here, plus all the time you've spent trying various fixes, some of them multiple times, you could have reinstalled XP 3 or 4 times already. This freaking topic is 3 pages long, and there will obviously be no simple resolution to the problem!

Unless you fully intend to live with this problem, which means this thread is a moot point, I suggest you choose option one or two, otherwise, when you are 104 years old, you'll be rolling yourself up to your computer in your wheelchair, in all your toothless glory, still hoping that page 23,845 of this topic, FINALLY has the fix.

I can tell you this, by that time, I won't be scratching my bald head looking for an answer for you, you already have the answers, both of them start with "R", obviously, there is no other fix. laugh

Quote:
You have three choices.

1) Do a repair install of XP, fix the problem.

2) Copy all the files that are required by "restore" using the recovery console, after booting from the CD, and fix the problem.

3) Continue going on about this problem ad-nausium until XP is obsolete and Vista has taken over, then we'll all just tell you to upgrade your version of Windoze.

I suggest option two first, the recovery console is quite simple to use and will probably fix the problem. If you choose not to do this, use option one, this will definitely fix the problem.

You say you don't want to do a repair install of XP because it takes too long. Not to be rude, but if you took the time you've spent in here, plus all the time you've spent trying various fixes, some of them multiple times, you could have reinstalled XP 3 or 4 times already. This freaking topic is 3 pages long, and there will obviously be no simple resolution to the problem!

Unless you fully intend to live with this problem, which means this thread is a moot point, I suggest you choose option one or two, otherwise, when you are 104 years old, you'll be rolling yourself up to your computer in your wheelchair, in all your toothless glory, still hoping that page 23,845 of this topic, FINALLY has the fix.

I can tell you this, by that time, I won't be scratching my bald head looking for an answer for you, you already have the answers, both of them start with "R", obviously, there is no other fix. laugh

Dear Relic,

Once again thanks for your feedback.

Allow me first to clarify one important fact. Option 2 is NOT AN OPTION. If you had read through this entire thread, you would know that yes indeed i DID try a repair, which left me with a useless system! The repair would HANG half way in the "setup / repair" process. I was actually forced to restore from a Norton ghost Image and bite the bullet. I repeat: I DID TRY TO DO A REPAIR but that left me with nothing and a hung setup. And yes I did try to "Revive" the setup 2 or 3 times to no avail!

Option 3 is also not really an option from the stand-point of "fixing" the issue rather than waiting for a new OS and paying to buy it altogether.

That being said, I am open to using the recovery console, but once I boot into it I do not know what to do! HELP?

Thanx again for the input. Please review this reply.

The recovery console is easy, all you need to do is copy files to the correct directory. I have a kid to wake up right now so he gets to work on time, but I shall return.

I'll search my system for all the files relating to system restore(mine works fine), and tell you which ones to copy. Usually the files can be found/copied from the i386 folder on the CD. The recovery console expands them as it copies them, so there's no worry there.

I recently had to bite the bullet and use the recovery console, after all I had heard about it, I was somewhat unsure of my ability to use it. Heh, it's a piece of cake. I deleted my "ntldr" file from my root directory in a cleaning frenzy, oopsie, error at bootup, missing ntldr file. Hmmmm, "NTLDR", does that mean NT-loader? Yeah, not good.

Copied the ntldr from my wife's system to a floppy. Booted from my XP CD, went to the recovery console. Typed in "copy a:\ntldr c:\". Rebooted. Fixed.

I'll be back after I drive the kid to work. If you can't extract the files from your CD, I'll put mine up on my webspace, you can dwnld them, save them to a floppy or CD, and copy from there.

YOUR problem is really starting to pizz ME off, heh heh heh. laugh

Quote:
The recovery console is easy, all you need to do is copy files to the correct directory. I have a kid to wake up right now so he gets to work on time, but I shall return.

I'll search my system for all the files relating to system restore(mine works fine), and tell you which ones to copy. Usually the files can be found/copied from the i386 folder on the CD. The recovery console expands them as it copies them, so there's no worry there.

I recently had to bite the bullet and use the recovery console, after all I had heard about it, I was somewhat unsure of my ability to use it. Heh, it's a piece of cake. I deleted my "ntldr" file from my root directory in a cleaning frenzy, oopsie, error at bootup, missing ntldr file. Hmmmm, "NTLDR", does that mean NT-loader? Yeah, not good.

Copied the ntldr from my wife's system to a floppy. Booted from my XP CD, went to the recovery console. Typed in "copy a:\ntldr c:\". Rebooted. Fixed.

I'll be back after I drive the kid to work. If you can't extract the files from your CD, I'll put mine up on my webspace, you can dwnld them, save them to a floppy or CD, and copy from there.

YOUR problem is really starting to pizz ME off, heh heh heh. laugh

LOL. Drive Safe now laughsmile

Yes I have the XP CD on hand btw.

Okay, got the kid dropped off at work, came home, had to take tyhe wife to her interview. Waited for her(she got the job smile )then came home. Started messing with Total Air War one more time, still can't get rid of the artifacts, decided I come pull out my hair over someone else's problems cause my own is frustrating the hell out of me, so here I am. laugh

So, in my "Restore" folder I have the following files:

filelist.xml

MachineGuid.txt

rstrlog.dat

rstrui.exe

srdiag.exe

srframe.mmf

Are all of those in your folder?

I have the same exact problem and as frustrated as shassouneh--anyway I have tried everthing also--but i don't have the filelist.xml file as listed in Relic's post above--I'm going to see if I can find that file on xp disk and place it--I'll let you know soon if it worked.

Thanks

BTW, make sure you have "show hidden files" selected in the folder view tab, it's a hidden system file and normally doesn't show up.