Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kiwi

Might and Magic 7 & 8 not running

Can you send me that file: mm7setup.sdb on this addres:

filip89@seznam.cz

thank you

Don,

I was using Win XP, and it is quite possible that the compatibility fix shows up for Win XP but not Win 2k. That makes me think that the problem in the fix for XP does not manifest itself in Win2k.

That being said, and since you tried MM7 on Win98 and 2k, is the same problem present in the two OSs? If so, I would think it might be hardware related (like some incompatible video card mixed in with DirectX 9). Have you tried a Windows 98 SE machine with little or no updates and the version of DirectX that ships with MM7? Do you have the same physical machine that you did when it used to work?

It would be a shame to not have MM7 working - I liked it better than 6 and 8, and certainly better than 9. I think I liked the best out of the whole series (although I liked 6 and 8 a lot as well).

Hope that helps,

Steve

hi new to the forum and was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas as to stop the direct driver error as i have tried everything and NOTHING works. if someone could send me the mm7setup.sdb file. cheers my add is dmg_sjg@hotmail.com

hope someone can help cos i really want to play mm7. thanks dmg_sjg

I tried XP and I tried 98 SE. Some how I got the durned game to work for two days but then it stopped working, having that same DirectX error. It was good while it lasted. I'm going to try everything I can and tell you guys if there is anything I find. Till then, could someone send me file at [email:email@provider]mike1spider@juno.com[/email]

I think I got it to work for awhile after I played another game (Caesar III) and then checked up on my dxdiag. Try that, maybe it'll work for you. Oh, and I changed my resulution and fiddled with the sound card to get rid of the distortions.

I'm beginning to think it's because of a patch that was downloaded...

im not being mean or anything here but no one really seems to be helping anybody and it kinda defeats the purpose of having a forum,

now i am running XP Pro with DX 9.0d and i can run the game in software mode no problems....BUT i cant get it running 3d windowed or no!

when i installed the game i installed the extra graphic files....it seems that not one else hasand if ANYONE one has that dam file or a way to get the 3D mode to run on the ATI powercolour 9200 se then plz email me @ Neo_RaBBi@hotmail.com Neo_RaBBi@hotmail.com

ty and hope to hear from someone soon

Don't know if anyone still reads this topic, but I found it with google, I trust that anyone with this problem will do the same, so I post my solution to this problem.

WinXP professional edition, mm7 and the newest patch.

Put your desktop to 16bit colors.

Install with extra graphs.

Once install is complete, it will as to register, click cancel (this is the trick for my puter, if I do the reg, the game won't run).

Check that no compatibility modes are active on mm7.exe or the mm7setup.exe

Run the setup, choose no 3d sound and no 3d graphs, then click run.

I played the game through a week ago, then unisntalled, yesterday decided to go for another run and installed. To my surprise, it didn't work! I started thinking what I changed or did different this time. So I finally tracked the reason to that registration, at least in my case.

Hopes this helps someone.

The way I made it work:

I downloaded the file http://minnow1911.tripod.com/mm7_XP_patch.sdb.

Because of some tripod ads, what you see is the contents of the file plus ads. To download the file properly, use a download manager like FlashGet, paste the URL to the manager and download it. If you can't get this to work, I have the file. (since I don't check here too often, better mail me and hope mail doens't go with the rest of the spam ;o)

After you download it, open the Toolkit, click Open and target the file. It should load ok. Now, if you try to run it, it will seek for the mm7.icd, and it won't be able to start anyway because it is not an executable. So run the proper .exe from your HD.

hi there,

MM8 installs fine, but when i go to run it it freezes and the error message

"DDER_CANTLOCKSURFACE in file C:\DEV\MM8\code\screen 16 .cpp at line number :2410"

i am using xp,

can anyone help me?

I have also installed MM8 again after uninstalling it and now no matter what I try it will not work. What worked the first time was changing the 3d sound in the registry but now it doesn't seem to have any effect. In the end I got Microsoft Virtual PC and installed Win98 on it.

Hey,

can you please send me that file mm7setup.sdb ???

I would like it too

that is great !!

my email is

Biberman@freenet.de

hi

i was wonedreing if someone could send me the mm7setup file. i have played the game before but that wasnt on xp. i have gone through all the compatibility things but it doesnt work. so if you could send the file to azraelangel12@aol.com i would appreciate it.

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SOMEONE HELP US!

I've been trying to play again the bloody game in 3d but no luck.

The problem is that I now it's possible as I managed to do so once (by accident, though) using the 'compatibility tool kit'. Unfortunately, I cannot do it again...

So if anyone has the path that will make the game run with hardware acceleration, please send it to me (boris.trivan@beotel.yu) or upload it somewhere and tell the rest of us.

THANX

I'm in the same boat as the rest of you. Thought I had it licked when I got the Compatibility tool and used the MM7 fix in it, but no luck. It's driving me crazy and I'm really considering installing 98 just to run it! Probably wipe the whole system while I'm at it but heh it'd be better than constantly searching for a fix!

Hope someone comes up with a solid solution, the .sdb file on that website doesn't seem to exist anymore or it's just impossible to download, nothing I try seems to help frown

Just thought I'd keep the thread alive with my tale of woe, solidarity in numbers and all that!

Ronan

i have newer found that, sbd. file. i think that the links is just out of date, so could someone plz send it to me,

Klikk5@hotmail.com

i have newer found that, sbd. file. i think that the links is just out of date, so could someone plz send it to me,

Klikk5@hotmail.com

i had the same problem, but i tried to open the mm7.exe file and it said something about not finding the smackw32.dll file, so if u have that 2 u should type the name of the file in google and u get a page where u can downlaod it, if u got it, extract it with winzip to the windows/system map, it should work then!

greetz FaiT

I GOT IT!!!!

The post from Shire was the key:

WinXP professional edition, mm7 and the newest patch.

Put your desktop to 16bit colors.

Install with extra graphs.

Once install is complete, it will as to register, click cancel (this is the trick for my puter, if I do the reg, the game won't run).

Check that no compatibility modes are active on mm7.exe or the mm7setup.exe

Run the setup, choose no 3d sound and no 3d graphs, then click run.

The problem was the 32 bit color. Once I switched to 16 bit, it worked fine. I tested it on My second home computer running XP home, my work laptop running XP pro and my work desktop running XP pro, and all of them worked great using the above solution.

Now the only problem will be my blood-shot eyes from playing this game for 16 hours straight... :x :x :x

Can someone send me mm7setup.sdb please? My e-mail: markdos@seznam.cz

Thank you Lando

HELP ME!!! I'd like to try all the great advice on this topic, but I dont know what the hell anyone is talking about. I downloaded the Compatibility Toolkit and that MM7 file everyone is going nuts over, but I have NO CLUE what I'm supposed to do with them. Everyone talks like its common knowledge or if you just download them, thier presence will make the game run. I'm running XP home and I'm getting the Windows Error as soon as I start M&M VII. Could someone PLEASE post some kind of detailed instructions. I just got the game last year and havent been able to play it yet. PLEASE HELP!!! gigilo79@yahoo.com

hey there...

I have a problem with my MM8 on win XP

i have tried all you wrote above and i had no luck

every time i try to open MM8 i get this error:

The procedure entry point MakeCriticalSelectionGlobal could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll

could someone pls help me!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm desperate....

if you have the solution post it here or sent it to my mail:

sylver_quinn@YAHOO.COM

thanx a lot....

bold textGotcha!bold text

After reading everything in this forum, I looked somewhere else and I found a solution for MM8 (I included the thips for MM6 and MM7 but I didn't try them)on Windows XP!!! Thanks to that person!!!

Try this:

Might and Magic VI-IX on XP Pro Service Pack 2

IMPORTANT: Download Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit

from

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/detai...mp;Hash=M5X9DQ4 and install.

I had hardware accelerated mode for video on ALL except MM7. I was not able to select sound options at all on MM6-MM7.

1. MM6 -http://home.mchsi.com/~andy4590/mm6x.zip Follow the instructions included. This allows you to play on XP with the CD.

2. MM7 -First run MM7 configuration utility and change to software 3d. Go to your MM7 directory and right click MM7.exe and choose properties. Click the Compatibility tab. Go to compatibility mode area and click run this program in compatibility mode. Then choose Windows 98/ME and click okay. Then goto the start menu, then run, and type dxdiag. Click the sound tab. Then under directx features move the slider all the way down to no acceleration Hardware sound Acceleration level. Now run the game. You will need the cd. <

3. MM8 -To play MM8 you need to have installed Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit. You will need to download http://home.mchsi.com/~andy4590/MM8comXpProSP2.sdb Browse to the start menu, then programs, then to Microsoft Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit, and then click on Compatibility Administrator Tool 3.0. Click open and browse to where you saved MM8comXpProSP2.sdb and open the file. Under New Database you should see a new entry. Something like MM8 [c:\Documents and Settings\Drew\Desktop\MM8comXpProSP2.sdb] Right click this and chose install. Go to your MM8 directory and right click MM8.exe and choose properties. Click the Compatibility tab. Go to compatibility mode area and click run this program in compatibility mode. Then choose Windows 98/ME and click okay. Now run MM8 and enjoy.

I hope this will work for you too!!! Works just fine for me!