Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kiwi

Might and Magic 7 & 8 not running

I have managed to install Might and Magic 7 and 8 no probems but neither program will run. It has something to do with my video card I think. can anyone help with this?

MM8 it should be working in WinXP and W2003 Server.

But you need the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 3.0 (29MB)

from Microsoft website to get working the MM7.

I have created a little file named mm7setup.sdb.

If you need it just write me an e-mail and I will send it to you.

(that is a MS.App.Compat.Toolkit file. Only 4kB.)

After you install this patch you should able to start the game with MM7Setup.exe (MM7) in 3D mode -)

but without accelerated sound -(. (No A3D or No EAX)

--

Best Regards

Dunno if you still check these forums. But I'm interested in that compatibilty file. your post says e-mail but you dont give one. smile Or tell me which fixes to enable/disable.

I'm also interrested in that file!

>But you need the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 3.0 (29MB)from Microsoft website to get working the MM7.

I tried it with no sucess.

The tool searched the file "mm7.icd", but there is no *.icd-file, nether in the directory nor on the CD.

There is also the mm7.exe, and when I open this file, I got an error message (wrong file).

Greetings

Rainer

I forgot: My mail-adress: test1234abc@web.de

Can you (or anyone else) send my this file?

Greetings

Rainer

Hey,

can you please send me that file mm7setup.sdb ???

I would like it too

i sended you an email last week...

starlingsoftheslipstream@hotmail.com

thanx a lot!

greets

I found a workaround for Might & Magic 8 that worked on my XP system. Try the following....

Start - Run (run a program)

regedit (loads the registry editor)

Search - "New World Computing" (search for the NWC string)

Make sure the Key found is "My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\New World Computing\Day of the Destroyer\1.0"

Change the key "3DSoundAvailable" to be '0'

Change the key "Disable3DSound" to be '1'

Exit regedit

RIGHT click on the icon for MM8 on your desktop

Select Properities

Under program name, change "mm8setup.exe" to be "mm8.exe"

Apply, and quit

You're Done, you should now be able to load and play the game, but without 3D sound (you will have standard sound)!

Manalishi66

Doesn't work for me with MM7, most annoying.. Spent hours on the net to try and find a solution..

If you have DX9, MM8 writes during the installation "unknown version of DircectX". Maybe that's the reason it doesn't works.

Greetings

Rainer

Thanks Manalishi66, this one works with MM8, but unfortunately not with MM7. Any idea for MM7?

If anyone have an idea, please let me know.

Greetings

Rainer

It seems I've made MM7 work on my system (also WinXP with DirectX 9 installed), and I had the same problem with the game starting but then quitting again presently.

Taking a clue from this thread, I ran the setup again and this time disabled 3D sound. Lo and behold! Now the game starts up and runs! (I played for about 5 minutes on the contest island just to see it really worked)

Enjoy! wink

Hey thanks. Finally able to run mm8 in d3d. Didn't even think to change the settings in the registry. Apparently it doesnt like the setup program. Everytime I use it the game crashes and I have to reinstall it to get it to run again.

Hi Guys,

I am interested on this file mm7setup.sdb patch file.

I managed to download the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 3.0 (29MB)

I need this file to make my MM7 work with Win XP. Could anyone send it to me if anyone has it please.

My email address is tink_work@hotmail.com

Thank you in advance.

V

I don't think anyone will ever get that file. he only had what 2 post's and that was awhile ago.

hey if you could send me the file i would be happy laugh

jelvegaa@hotmail.com

Hi, if somebody have the file, can you please send it to me.

My email: Jeppe_Rip@hotmial.com

thx

This thread is old, but i installed the mm7 today laugh and i got the same problem, so i were searching on the internet for fixes, but i fixed it myself laugh

Glad to play it now...

this is what i did

Right click on the mm7.exe -> properties -> compatibility -> run this program in win95 compatibility...

Maybe a bit different because i have dutch names for it smile so i translated them... hope to helped you with it

Greetz Martijn,

Hey guys, I was searching a fix for mm7 and by reading on this page i figured how to fix this shit since the compatibility mode (last reply) didn't work for me.

1. Download "Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 3.0" from microsoft. Easy way, just copy/paste the quote in their search engine and download.

2. Then, download this patch

http://minnow1911.tripod.com/mm7_XP_patch.sdb

in order to bypass the system version check.

3. Execute the file and you should have a message like "Installation of MM7_XP_Patch complete". If not, return to #1.

4. Last thing, dunno if it's for everyone, but you have to disable "Hardware accelerated" by running MM7Setup.exe.

Sound is a bit chippy for me but working great.

minnow

Hi Minnow,

I have tried to download the file, however when I open your page, it comes up as a load of code, which i can't do anything with.

I would really appreciate it if you could e-mail it to me: Bkellyad@aol.com

Thanks a lot, Cerb

hi, people. i'm new to this site, but anyway:

i tried doing the regedit thing for mm8, but it didn't work all the way. it let me watch the "3do" animation, but then a bunch of error messages made me quit the game. anyone know what's wrong?

HELP!!! PLEASE!!!

mood swing masta

Hey Minnow (or anyone else who might possess that much-sought file), can you please send me that .sdb file?

Come on, guys. Show a little solidarity! smile

vanderlitreb@ofir.dk

Thanks!

hi guys i'm in the same bucket i did this and it worked for me, right click on the might and magic game start up icon and select properties, select copatabilty, check ''run this propram compatabily for'' and select win98/me for MM8 and win2000 for MM9 TAKE CARE HAVE FUN