Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ronin

Let's face it

I had to post this message since it is the 50th in the thread! I couldn't give someone else the chance wink.gif

Great article on Gamespot about Windows 2000, not really being a gamers OS.

Can I stir things up or what? Windows 98 is still the OS if you WANT TO PLAY ANY AND ALL GAMES.

The only game I really play is quake3 so I can only compare with that. After I installed win2k and installed drivers by chameleon quake3 has never ran smoother not to mention internet play speeding up. Why are you baggin' on win2k anyway Im sure once its finally released and all the drivers are out it will play all the games for anybodys satisfaction or better.

God I hope W2K plays all my games, I have a Dual PIII 600 System just sitting here waiting to be abused. I can't wait till Feb 17th for the release. I'm hoping like everyone here that all the drivers are released for the hardware I have.

You seem to have this misconception that on the 17th everything will all ok in win2k world. It's quite obvious you may read what others say but it goes right over your head(ala in one ear and out the other). A comment like "I can't wait for the 17th" proves it. An os is nothing without support from the products that are powering it. You games arent going to all work what-so-F**King-ever untill Nvidia or 3dfx and all hardware companies etc... release proper drivers and game deveopers issues patches(if needed) The drivers support in win2k FINAL is about this " " much more than whatever build your running now....so if it's not supported right now...tough sh*t buddy, wait till your manufacturer puts out some drivers or check the HCL. Also on the 17th EVERYONE is not gonna instantly make new drivers available, yes there will be some but not everything. And if your so god damn happy with using 98 for your gaming then go do it and stop annoying everyone here with uninformed posts and pointing to articles abot how win2k is not good for this and that. I'll show you 10 articles about how great it is for every bad one you put up. Not to mention they are all using Rc1 or Rc2 and maybe perhaps Rc3. But in the meantime. GIVE IT A BREAK! Unless of course you can see the future?

[This message has been edited by Seldzar (edited 24 December 1999).]

Seldzar?

Your quote.

You games arent going to all work what-so-F**King-ever untill Nvidia or 3dfx and all hardware companies etc... release proper drivers and game deveopers issues patches(if needed) The drivers support in win2k FINAL is about this " " much more than whatever build your running now....so if it's not supported right now...tough sh*t buddy, wait till your manufacturer puts out some drivers or check the HCL. Also on the 17th EVERYONE is not gonna instantly make new drivers available, yes there will be some but not everything. And if your so god damn happy with using 98 for your gaming then go do it and stop annoying everyone here with uninformed posts and pointing to articles abot how win2k is not good for this and that. I'll show you 10 articles about how great it is for every bad one you put up. Not to mention they are all using Rc1 or Rc2 and maybe perhaps Rc3. But in the meantime. GIVE IT A BREAK! Unless of course you can see the future?

I'm aware of that you Idiot!!!

All I was saying was that I hope on the 17th when it's released that Nvidia and Creative Labs and the other companys have drivers available.

I don't quite understand what your problem is. If I want to complain then this is the best place. If you have a problem with that then I guess you should look elsewhere for the forums that people are just so happy with the current software world.

Why are you such an angry person?

Another thing,

I HATE 98, like we all do. But it's the ONLY OS like I said that plays all the games. And supports all the Hardware. I can't wait for W2K to see if it truly is what we all hope it will be.

I got your idiot for you right here!

My problems is stupid f**king idiots like you posting dumb sh*t in this place. Where even more uninformed people read it and get confused and lost amongst all the BS. It really isn't my fault that you don't think before you speak, let alone read the responses that make sense and come to an understanding. I have proven myself very helpful OVER and OVER again at this board and provided helpful services. What has your b*tch ass done huh? Sweet F*ck all. So shut your hole!

[This message has been edited by Seldzar (edited 25 December 1999).]

Ronin-

>. If I want to complain then this is the best place.

Bollocks. The best place to complain is in polite e-mail to the hardware vendors.

All whining about a lack of drivers here achieves is to

1. Use up bandwidth

2. Make it harder for people to find answers to their problems.

3. Piss off those of us who are trying to help other.

And Seldzar - good point, but dude, you gotta chill a bit. It's Christmas, remember smile.gif

Hey,

Sorry for everything, I never said that the people here where did not know what they where talking about. But when a person just voices his opinion and get slammed, it just makes no sence at all. All I was doing when I started this thread was telling everyone what I thought, not asking for advise on installing anything or telling people not to buy it, just telling people what I think. And I guess this is just not the place for that. Why is it that every other word from you is **** this and you ****ing people this and you dumb ass this and **** you and on and on? Just remember I never asked for help on W2K, all I did was voice my opinion. And I get treated like that, tell me without using profanity how I deserve the treatment you have given me. And also tell me how I'm wrong in saying that at this point W2K is not for gaming and that when it is released it may not be either. Let's look at this, you think that the majority of the people out there who play games are going to go buy W2K just because it's play a few games but is much more stable. No only the hardcore gamers will and that's only about 10% There are alot of people that visit this board that don't know **** but are afraid now, just because you might rip there head off if they say something you don't like. Remember that most people are not as smart as you are.(me included) And remember how much of a dumb ass you and all of us where when we first started using computers. If people like me never posted threads like this then it would not be any fun.

Merry Christmas

Yes it is Christmas and my appologies. However I'don't like being insulted and it took it a little personally. Ronin, whatever, everyone has an opinion and my points have been well made through the course of this thread(as many other points from others)Perhaps you may want to read through them all again.

Once Win2k is fully realesed and Hardware vendors have driver support out i personally feel Win2k will be the best OS for newcomers as well as the core users.I have had NO problems what so ever running any game under win2k and considering that is using workarounds for drivers its pretty amazing.The win9X might seem easier but when you take into consideration all the crashes and hangups you get from it it ends up being more difficult and frustrating to use.Especially for newcomers.It will be a few months before will se full support for this but i would highly recommend it for new users once it is there.And as far as games go Win2k RULES!

Ummm.. why dont we all wait till W2k hit the market. Then install it and then.. Try it!!

Then well see.. if im right.. or wrong about bugs on it.

I repeat.. all MS OS hit the market with bugs.

Why? due to all systems configurations and brands. thats why. Its almost imposible that any MS OS wont have problems with hardware drivers.

Thats why MAC is so stable. hehehe they make everything for it.

A modem is built for MAC's Monitors'Mouses'Video cards, etc etc.

Have you count how many devices Win98/NT 4.0/Windows 2000 handle? Over 1000+.

So i guess thats why all this incompatibility with the OS.

Also is not because im a beta tester of MS that i talk so much about it. I do know whats going on. I will install W2k 2 or 3 months after the release. I need to wait for those compatible drivers. You all know you wont have them when W2k this the market.

So please.. after Feb 17 2000, post some bugs about it.

: )

Cheers.. and Happy CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!

Quote:
Thats why MAC is so stable. hehehe they make everything for it.
A modem is built for MAC's Monitors'Mouses'Video cards, etc etc.

Your jobs/experiences obviously not including any MAC's USERS supports.

well just got back in town....wow this has really gone on a while hasnt it? ok a little update. i noticed a couple of the guys saying that win2k isnt for the novice. so at thanksgiving i installed win2k on my mother-in-laws puter that i built for her....its a little dual penny job...i couldnt afford a lot of memory at the time so its only got 32 megs. well, its been at her house now since thanksgiving and guess what? NO PROBLEMS! this woman's picture is in the dictionary under computer illiterate. she uses it daily and not so much of a burp out of the machine. im still going to use win2k as the platform for my gaming machines. did i mention that i now have quake 1 working in win2k....i play it online all the time. i have sent a couple of guys over to this site for info and i dont want them getting confused by the crap that ppl like peaje and ronin write. i honestly believe what we have here are ppl who would argue with you no matter what your stand is. if you disliked win2k they would go the opposite way just to irratate you. lots of ppl have different views on this subject but ronin seems to me to be a little kid. hey im 16 and i know everything. i dont know his age but he acts like a kid anyway. i dont know how long he has been using this os but ive been using it for some time now and im really impressed with it preformance. he keeps sayin that win98 is the only gaming platform. thats such crap. what makes a gaming platform? well in my view its the games. ms doesnt say: lets not write game support into an os...its the other way around. the game designers decide which os's they are going to support...granted win nt workstation was for work...but so was win 3.11 workstation. did it run games? YES! there are some games that are specifically written for win X but ive found that most run in win2k. ms has relized that more and more ppl are using entertainment apps right along side of biz apps....my view is if you feel so strongly about win98 go harass ppl on a win98 forum somewhere. as soon as win2k is available im gonna ship my puters with win2k and i build mainly gaming machines....ive already set it up on 3 machines for buddies and they are very impressed....the machines overclock much more cleanly than any win98 machines do and they network better. so if your having problems with your machine its probably you and not the os....like i said before, for every guy that comes in here with a prob there are 100 that are running it problem free. im not saying that i havent had my problems but ive worked out much of the "bugs" that ive found and its a good, strong os.....

this is my opinion and i could be wrong

Windows 2000 rules. Can´t wait for my unlimited MSDN version.

~Piper

Well, I have enjoyed the comments and can't help asking the question. Just what is different within Millenium. I installed it on a lab machine and was totally unimpressed. It appeared to be Wintendo with the 2000 desktop. What are the "stability changes" that have be put into place?

Several other comments. One poster mentioned Professional as support for W2K being a consumer OS. I don't agree. In my humble opinion, MS had to release an upgrade for Workstation that can unlock the full potential of Active Directory. Before you guys get out the matches and napalm, I love W2K and have been running it at home and at work since May. I've installed full W2K domains running AD and Intellimirror. I still keep a running copy of W95 for the few games I play, simply because I use W2K as my main OS and don't have the time and the skill to play around with the drivers to make them work. I love W2K.

Further, I finished up a Dual Processor install today, Abit board w/Celeron 433's. The machine rocks! It was not an easy install. Most of my issues revolved around getting the hardware right. Which leads to my final comment. 80-90 percent of the problems that people have with NT and W2K come from folks buying hardware, trying to install the stuff, encountering problems, and then stopping to try to read or research the problem. My recommendation is to spend time reading and researching, then drop the cash with a full awareness of the challenges that you might encounter.

My $.02...Happy New Millenium everyone!

I have build 2195.1 (you know it is "evaluation final") and I have to say it is stable, audio grabbing is much better (32x to NTFS partition), applications load a bit faster than in Win98, but games...

First I have to say that I own a Voodoo 3, you know that 3dfx's OpenGL driver sux, but WickedGL is fast as hell! So I have to wait until the WickedGL works under Win2k. This is OK, Win2k isn't even out yet. But strange, that Direct3D games like Midtown Madness run a bit slower than under Win98 (even with the Voodoo 3 drivers included)! My SBLive runs fine, even my TV card with NT4 drivers! But my extern ADSL modem isn't supported, so I have no Internet there. So I wait.

Another thing that I noticed. Maybe it is just the 2195.1, but, my Winnt directory is getting bigger and bigger (over 600 MB now), I heard from people with over 800 MB.

And in Win2k the harddisk is more active than in Win98 (Yes, I have 128 MB RAM)!

All in all, it is a very good operation system for apps and maybe it becomes a good OS for newer games, but not for all, because I think many older games will not be translated to work under Win2k!

FoLLgoTT

IIRC, the Voodoo3 drivers that ship with w2k don't support D3D, so the games are probably not running with h/w acceleration. There are beta drivers available...

Your ADSL "modem" connects to your PC via a standard ethernet card - so what is missing is support for that card, not the ADSL box. Buy yourself a generic 3Com or Intel card for about $40...

My network card works, I have the ADSL modem connected to a hub, but under Win98 it uses a driver to connect over the RNA. This driver is called winpoet. I don't know how I can make a connection without this driver, this modem has no IP adress or something. If someone can help please reply.

FoLLgoTT