Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
lsmeg

Final Fantasy VII crashing

FF7 crashes on the chocobo races everytime when I play in XP. It's driving me nuts! Has anyone found a workaround for this?

It also crashes on other minigames, but not consistently. So far, I haven't had to play a minigame more than twice, except for the stupid chocobo races. I've tried more than 5 times, and it's really ticking me off. I don't want to dual boot with 98, cause this is the only game I'd end up playing in it. Here's my setup, btw:

--

Pentium III 733MHz

Asus CUSL2 - Intel 815E chipset

384MB PC133 RAM

Gainward Geforce2 Pro 64MB

SBLive X-Gamer

WinXP Pro

--

Any help is appreciated.

full screen and quarter screen -crash.

using the programs 95+98 compatibility properties -crash.

using qfixapp on 95+98 modes -crash.

Both software and hardware rendering -crash.

(i have to use software, hardware divides everything in 2d levels into squares, is this squaresoft's idea of a joke?)

beating my computer with a hammer -crash.

My crash includes the screen going black, leaving the chocobo music playing + the windows cursor in the middle of the screen. Hitting enter closes the game and returns me to windows. This seems to always be the same result.

my specs are:

amd thunderbird 1ghz

abit kt7

256mb ram

matrox millenium G400 dual-head

win xp pro "version 2600"

Could somebody clue me in on the proper qfixapp settings, if any exist? I really miss playing this game and would hate to have to install 98 to play it again. Thanks.

i have the same problem too - game crashes when i enter a subgame ... i sure wish eidos or square would give us a little help on this one instead of just sayin "yeah well, you're using xp and we don't wanna have to go out of our way to help you on an unsupported OS"

can anyone help?!

Sorry to say, but I'm quite certain that there is no solution to this, at least yet.

Myself and several other people were originally involved in an attempt to get FF7 running under Win2k, and unfortunately, this was as good as it got under 2000 as well (everything but the chocobo races).

We also made a valiant, but seemingly fruitless attempt on WinXP with the same results.

Personally, I wouldn't use my time trying to make it run under either of these OSes until a revalataion from a higher power comes (read: a patch from either Eidos or Microsoft, depending on what gets patched -- if anything does in the end).

Sorry to say frown

did you all ever think that it could be just a flaw in the game?

it could be a flaw that no one ever relized. there is m y 2 ents

Given the number of people wanting to run this game in Win2k and/or WinXP (search this forum alone and you'll find quite a few threads), Eidos Interactive would really do some good publicity for themselves by bringing out a patch to fix the problems. Sadly I think they're really beyond caring what people think about them.

Quote:
did you all ever think that it could be just a flaw in the game?

it could be a flaw that no one ever relized. there is m y 2 ents

Well yeah! Quite probably FF7 used some nasty hacks in Win98 which don't work in a less forgiving NT-based OS.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't count on Eidos fixing the problem, especially cause I don't think they do FF games anymore. After flip flopping between XP and 98 several times, my solution to this problem was a bit pricey, but guaranteed to work: I just bought a PS2. smile The graphics suck (not that the PC version looks great nowadays) but the music is far better.

You're limited to two options on this one.

a. D/L a save game that occurs just after the races and deal with the names/inventory.

b. Dual boot with Me/98, and drill down those nasty jockeys.

No matter which option you pick, please start a thread somewhere that actually explains the storyline. The whole 'use the chi...stretch out your feelings...the chi will always be with you...the chi can have a strong influence on the weak minded' really throws me for a loop.

Eidos recently put a statement on their website that basically says the this is a known problem and they aren't going to do anything about it. Bummer.