Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
miku

Disabling Product Activation

I agree with THC, Dos, and Brian on this one.

I signed up for the RC1 and rtm with M$, and I still managed to get RC2 downloaded from an alternative source before I even received my kosher copy. Also, I wouldn't be getting RC2 over here in the UK anyways.

LIke THC says, I too will be purchasing WXP, but I will also crack it, as I also like messing about with my system.

It's half the fun of owning a PC, tweaking, trying beta software, upgrading hardware a bit at a time. I aint gonna let an OS spoil my fun. I will have bought it, so who gives a ****, is why should I keep telling M$ that YES I have bought your software.

Yeah, and anyone who needs help on this forum will get help. Apart from peeps asking for links etc. There are other boards for that kind of info.

L8rs

Well that is the whole issue.

You don't have to activate the OS until it's been used for 30 days.

So, if you change your hardware every week and re-install the OS just as often then you'll never activate it anyway!

And in response to a post earlier in the thread.

No I don't know about obtaining software illegally.

Every single piece of software I have on my system is 100% legit, as is all the software I use to install and test at work/home.

Why people seem to think they are entitled to something just because they want it is beyond me.

Hi local BMW dealer, the thing is, I really want that new model that's just been released.

However, I feel that you are charging a little too much for it.

But, I want it and for that reason I am entitled to it, so I'll just have a chat with my mate Dave and we'll steal it.

On the other hand BWM dealer, I do actually plan on buying one of those cars in a few months time.

So, what I'm going to do is steal that car from your showroom, drive it around for a couple of months and then I'll pay you for it.

Or, so BMW dealer, I bought a new BMW from you ages ago, however I've noticed that your new model has loads of new features.

Because I've spent money with you in the past, surely I'm entitled to take the new model - you're already had money out of me!

Lastly, but BMW dealer, your part of a multi-million pound company.

For that reason, I'm just going to take the new car, you wont miss a few thousand £'s.

I mean, nothing wrong with that is there?

I aint advocating piracy.

I was simply getting at the fact that this board is here to help peeps with hardware and software problems.

Quote:

I aint advocating piracy.
I was simply getting at the fact that this board is here to help peeps with hardware and software problems.

You are right.. this board is here to help ppl wiht hardware and software problems..
those code are only reomves the activation popup, not the WPS itself. That means the activation is still needed after 14 or 30 or 60 days.

ehhh, The car analogy has nothing to do with computers. Computers are my business. It's extremely hard to get thousands of dollars worth of software or to get software in a certain area. Heck, I can't even get DSL/Cable in my area! On the other hand it takes me a couple of mins to find the software I want and to download it. I check it out and if the next time I spot it at the store then I buy it. I have it if I need it. That's why I download software. I'm glad for you that all of your software is 100% legit (oh yeah those Mp3's and I'm sure your using a different license for each Windows OS you own too).

Another thing is. Software IS B-U-G-G-Y. There is very few software out there that is worth buying but the software that isn't has features that the software that is worth buying doesn't! Why should I shell out $300 bucks for an OS but then have to shell out a couple more for a program to manage my compressed files? Why should I have to buy an undelete program....why did MS remove support for undelete anyway? Why should I have to buy a separate hotfix program for my servers. MS should have this integrated.

So. I download software and review it. If I deem it good then I buy it. That's why I downloaded Vmware but I actually BOUGHT Connectix Virtual PC. That's why I buy the games that I download first. Because I knew that they were good.

Ah...another thread wasted on pointless discusion. Blah.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I was gonna put something along them lines myself but had to delete it a 1/3 of the way through..I was at work at the time, and was pulled off to work on an application problem.

Guys,

I am amazed @ the number of views and replies to this thread.

I guess I got the subject wrong. It should have been "Disabling Product Activation Reminders".

ARC

This just proves that everybody intereted in disabling or cracking Product Activation visited this thread.

What do you say 'Jennol' and 'BladeRunner'? Were you really here to help me or help yourself crack activation?

Haha..

LOL

ARC

No, why would I be here attempting to crack 'product activation'?

As I've stated on earlier posts in the thread I find those thieves and people who commit criminal acts by stealing computer software vile.

Once again in response to an earlier post, yes, all of my software is 100% legit.

From my Windows 2000 Server PC to my fast, everyday use workstation.

All of the OS's are 100% legal and are either new, full-product purchases or are simply upgrades from previous OS's.

I have not used the same product more than once to upgrade from.

I don't have MP3's, why?

Well, because once again it is theft, unless you purchased the album they came from then you are not entitled to own them.

Nice to see you are defending the fact that you are a thief by stating that the software is too 'buggy' to purchase.

So why exactly do you feel that because a company releases software with bugs in you are entitled not to pay for it?

I wish all of the stuffs on my pc is 100% legit too.

I had win95 CD coming with my desktop, win 98 CD ocming with my laptop.

When i built my new desktop, i actually went to buy a 98SE OEM CD. but i found that its very very very expensive to keep buying the os. Not to mention that all the other softwares, e.g. photoshop, winzip... etc. There is no way for a student to afford all those software.. frown

Maybe the .net service can change that later, since you will get the upgrade when you subscribe to the service. No more new version of windows.. All will have the Blackcomb windows, but the rich guy will have more service packs on it, and the poor guy will have less.

Bladerunner - Someone should RETIRE you. Me, I'll just hang out with the rest of the vile replicants. You just keep kissing old man Tyrell's ***. See you in hell, I'm sure of it. frown

The edit was for a spelling error.

P.S. Could someone please send me the crack for 2505 smile

gekko56@bigpond.com

Wow, what a bizarre turn of events this thread has taken. I just thought I would drop by to see what I have been missing, and it would appear to be quite a bit.

I will say something though, not every use of a crack is to simply steal the software involved. We were evaluating Solidworks 2000 (CAD app) last year, and could only get 15 day eval licenses. Well, we went through 2 of them because our engineers only knew 2D AutoCRAP software and didn't have the time to dedicate to learning this parasolid-based app. It became so difficult to get the licenses (waited 2 weeks for #3 to get here, and #2 sat with the sales person so long that we only had 8 days left on it) that I got the educational crack for it. After about a month, the engineers loved it and we spent $35,000 on our copies. I advised our reseller what I had to do, and they inturn complained to Solidworks about this. Since then, Solidworks has changed their temp license to 30 days and has made reissues much simpler.

We were having the same issue with COSMOS Works (FEA plug-in for Solidworks) and they are still using the old 15-day limit that Solidworks did. However, we couldn't even get the second license, since we had to get it directly from COSMOS and we didn't have a rep at the time (we were still working through or reseller, and they had their own problems getting them). I "extended" our testing in a similar fashion, and we wound up buying the product (another $12,000 plus annualized maintenance).

Our rep came by last week, and I discussed all these issues with him. It's a shame that these companies are making evaluation so damn difficult, to the point that it's hurting sales of their products. They think they are controlling piracy, when in fact they are running off future customers.

Your car analogy is seriously flawed. I am not advocating piracy but that analogy is wrong.

Let's assume for a moment that you have a machine that can duplicate anything that you wanted(I.E. a computer). Let's say your rich friend just bought a brand new Dodge Viper. You could never afford that Dodge Viper. But what if you made a copy of that Dodge Viper with your machine, just for the hell of it? Technically, Dodge has lost no money on the car because they don't even know that you copied it, and second you technically aren't even able to buy that car in the first place because you don't have enough money to afford it. You aren't stealing because Dodge has lost nothing. Again..I am not advocating piracy but I do understand their point of view. I have downloaded software before to see if I wanted to buy it. There is no way I'm going out and spending $250 bucks of my hard earned money out of faith that the software is good. Most stores have a No return policy on opened software. If I didn't like it, I would be out $250 now wouldn't I?

So it isn't like stealing a car,,ok. It is software and the OS isn't shareware, where you try and buy. You buy it, that is the way it goes and if you don't like that then you buy something else or don't or whatever. Anything else is illegal and that is the way it is right now. You want to change it then set about doing something to change the system until then this is what it is.

As far as helping people on this board, it isn't like you go about saying ,," hey did you buy that software?" and then help them by whatever is the response. I understand this, we are just here to help regarding the OS. Now if you offer information regarding piracy this is where the discussion on how that isn't exactly ethical comes into play. I don't know but if I developed a piece of software and no one payed for it, that would suck and I would be upset.

Let's say you could clone a copy of a Dodge Viper off your computer, why would anyone else buy a Dodge Viper if they could copy the copy of their buddies Viper,, putting Dodge Viper out of business because they couldn't make any money off the car. No next years model,,etc etc.

If you can't obtain the software legally then you shouldn't have it.

cool

Take the car comparison another step further. :-)

If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be

driving cars with the following characteristics:-

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to

buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You

would have to pull over to the side of the road, close all of the car

windows, shut it off, restart it, and reopen the windows before you

could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause

your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would

have to reinstall the engine.

5. Only one person at a time could use the car unless you bought

"CarNT", but then you would have to buy more seats.

6. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would only run on five percent of the roads.

7. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all

be replaced by a single "General Protection Fault" warning light.

8. New seats would force everyone to have the same sized butt.

9. The airbag system would ask "are you SURE?" before deploying.

10. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door

handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

11. GM would require all car buyers to also purchase a deluxe set of

Rand McNally road maps (now a GM subsidiary), even though they neither

need nor want them. Attempting to delete this option would immediately

cause the car's performance to diminish by 50% or more. Moreover, GM

would become a target for investigation by the Justice Dept.

12. Every time GM introduced a new car, car buyers would have to learn

to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in

the same manner as the old car.

13. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off.

I don't know about you guys, but my money doesn't grow on trees. I'm a college student and cash is very tight for me. If I'm going to spend $250 on a piece of software I had better be damned sure I'm going to keep it and use it, which is where demos come in. Would you buy a car without test driving it? Would you buy one based on the color of the paint? This is what software companies are essentially doing when they dont offer trial programs. If companies truly put effort into their software and are proud of their work, they would offer demo versions of them. I believe when a company doesn't offer a free trial of software it reflects on them poorly.

99% of the population doesn't know how to pirate software and buy their software legit, nor do they want to know how to pirate software. I'm sure everyone can agree that a try before you buy, especially with items that are hard to return, is necessary.

I am not saying piracy is OK at all, but whenever I see that poor car analogy used I must correct it.

Anak1, looking at your sig line almost made me think it was mine, as I got a VP6 and the 800EB's myself.

College student here myself, and I'll be dammed if I have to buy a copy of XP Pro, even the upgrade's to XP Pro are $200, for both my machines.

Plus, MS seems to be biting the hand that feeds. They are nothing without customers, and if you piss off enough customers, you are in deep shhhhhhhh...

I'm sorry, but we use NetBEUI here at home, and I keep hearing to change it, but I am not in control of the network settings. My dad is, and I can't go without NetBEUI for now.

I also don't care to have to reactivate after I've reached a quota for hardware upgrades, especially since I would buy my copy of XP from the store.

Basically, XP is great except for those two issues. NetBEUI included on the RC1 cd is okay, but not great.

I will buy my copy and crack it, just to prove it is do-able. It's been done so far, and MS is stupid to not realize this.

XP is great, no doubt, but I feel that MS doesn't trust us alone with a computer. Fine, two can play hardball on this.