Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mdntblu

I think WindowsXP looks lame

Good call clutch.

Maybe that will take care of the "pains in the a$$" of this forum.

Of course I mean no offense, I'm being professional here. Unfortunately, even though I'm being completely professional, nobody else will be. smile

//Those of you who know me, and have a head screwed on correctly, will understand the context in which to take this reply.//

I will hardly ever be stopping by the XP or Other forums now cuz I'm sick of Jdulmage and his gimp.

So you're saying Prep. H isn't a good product??! What are you a moron or something?! Just Kidding, good one though, it relieved some of the tension.

Tell you what, I'll play nice if you do. It was getting kinda fun though. All I ask is when I voice an opinion someone doesnt call me a 'lamer' for it, I have heard some good stuff about this forum that is why I drifted this way. It is possible for me to be helpful. I do this for a living. I still dont think XP is a wonder OS that M$ built if you would like to hear my logical and professional opinion on it I can give you that as well.

_SimiaN_

------------------

I cant help it I have Attention Deficit...hey whats that over there?

[This message has been edited by SimiaN (edited 21 March 2001).]

SimiaN, I think you're missing the point of what XP offers. Forget about the new interface and added features. It creates a common platform for home and business users. This hasn't really been around since DOS. Do you realize how many support headaches this will cure? As you do this for a living I'm sure you can appreciate that.

Personally, I plan on putting my parents and in-laws on XP soon after it is released. They will have the stability on an NT OS, plus the compatibility of 9x. It will also allow me to work on their computers remotely when they have problems.

For the business user, there might not be a large number of pluses over 2000. But to the administrators there is. Concurrent logins by itself makes this upgrade worth it.

I'm just saying, look beyond the glitz and check out the real advantages. XP really is something to look forward to.

XP seems to be what ME never was even close to being.

Jdulmage mentioned something about MS cancelling ME. Unfortunately, they dropped that idea. ME should never have come out in the first place.

Ive heard of some feature that allows you to import all your files, programs, settings, etc. to XP from another computer. That would be great, especially for IT guys; what a major time saver.

Id really like to test out XP now. The boot time speed seems a good improvement, considering how long it takes too boot into Windows on the Promise100 controller on the Asus A7V.

But I really hope that the MovieMaker will be optional, System Restore wont be a space hog, and Media Player will have good sound.

XP should be much better right off since its based on the NT code and not on the 9x one.

My whole point is that I havent run into anything that is different enough from 2k to make me switch I' ve had enough fun getting 2k and AD(obscure errors with DDNS and unix platforms) to work the way it is suppose to. They also have a single platform already to use for a business 2K workstation for the clients and Server and AS for server boxes. Yes it will cure headaches for tech support. Which I guess is good because, if anyone has to put up with too much crap, its those guys. This doesn't make my life any easier as I never supported anything but NT/2000 in my network, so win98 is of no concern to me. I'll admit its a good OS for people who have never used a machine before but I thought 98 was fine for that( but thats the one platform deal). I never said I wouldn't use it for the less savvy side of my family(so my personal time isn't wasted doing 98 troubleshooting over the phone) I just said Im not impressed. Its too dumbed down for my taste. As far aa concurrent logins are concerned I can take control of any of my users boxes at any time I please so I dont think that will make my life any easier. I'm going to lunch now so I'll finish this later...Have fun laugh

I'm sorry Eddie no one actually ever said "wonder OS", but that was the way that the arguement was being presented(my interpretation).

------------------

wasn't this suppose to have ended already? wow, I thought the preparation H post thingy would have released some chokehold on this thing, yet, still nothing.

And I haven't even said anything for the last couple of posts, my god..

Ya the tension has been released. I laughed too hard after the prep-h thing. It's just that someone made a comment and I wanted to reply to it in a professional post. Eddie don't take my last comment as a flame I didn't intend to be one. Just a statement.

------------------

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OLEerror:
SimiaN, I think you're missing the point of what XP offers. Forget about the new interface and added features. It creates a common platform for home and business users. This hasn't really been around since DOS. Do you realize how many support headaches this will cure? As you do this for a living I'm sure you can appreciate that.

Personally, I plan on putting my parents and in-laws on XP soon after it is released. They will have the stability on an NT OS, plus the compatibility of 9x. It will also allow me to work on their computers remotely when they have problems.

For the business user, there might not be a large number of pluses over 2000. But to the administrators there is. Concurrent logins by itself makes this upgrade worth it.

I'm just saying, look beyond the glitz and check out the real advantages. XP really is something to look forward to.
</font>

First of all, i agree on the benefits of a single platform. Secondly, i've read that if a XP box is a part of a domain, then you can't use user switching. Remote control is also good but many businesses already have the software that allows them to do it. Besides, if a system is totally hosed, Remote Assistance is no use.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pimpin_228:
who eveer said dxp looks lame is a homo</font>

--------------

yes

apk you are missing the damn point who care what it looks lik when you get it you can put your os2 buttons up there if you like and whatever else you want also. this os is fully skinable. to be honest i did not like the "fruity" look of luna either, then i used it, now i could give a sh1t what it looks like it is what it works like that counts and it works awesome.

This is just funny now. Nice little hehe. I try to act like a human and you take it as me backing down. You really are 12 and, if you teach I feel sorry for the students and the biased opinion they get from someone like you. It's no wonder most of the kids that come out of school nowadays, have been brainwashed by someone they believe has real knowledge. Oh ya and I taught as well so there goes your 1337 status, to be honest you sound like the a$$hole I used to work with. So I'll be leaving now thanks for your useless FAQ, and your biased opinions. I'll make sure I don't recommend this site to any of my colleagues.

-----edit-----

You can begin to call me a 'lamer' again as I wont be here to defend myself.

[This message has been edited by SimiaN (edited 22 March 2001).]

Welp, there ya go, jdulmage. Just as you predicted, newer members are leaving due to the flaming, etc. Contributing members, at that.

I wonder, do you see your own *unique* contribution to this phenomenon?

I've got my own personal opinions about you and a few other 'members' but it's my opinion, it doesn't belong here. I'm sure you have your own opinion of me; and what it is, is none of my business.

Sure a little flaming (in jest) may add to the 'fun fest' here, and things here have been a little slow lately. But, personally, I've about gotten to the point of being fed up with the rest of it; the not-so-friendly stuff.

I can wade through the crap as good as anyone, but what I just witnessed really pisses me off. I've done it myself sure, but find that just a smidgeon, even a modicrum, of SELF-FRIGGING-CONTROL GOES A LONG GOD DAMNED WAYS!!! But I have to actually put it to use. This appears, from the sum of your posts, to be impossible for you to accomplish here. May I suggest to you someplace more suitable; somewhere they feed, watch over, and change the diapers of those who are not in control of their own actions, jdulmage?

I have no other suggestions; many good ones have already been made.

[This message has been edited by DeadCats (edited 22 March 2001).]

Who care I will not buy it any way unless they remove that product activation carp.

[This message has been edited by SHS (edited 22 March 2001).]

actually, i've stopped posting to this thread, so my contributors didn't cause a thing, the last page was all wars not started by me, all I said on this page was "hehe" and that's all.

So anything that happens further on is not a result of me

hehe you said buy...yeah it seems the cracks for XP are getting more and more complicated, even M$'s beta testers are having a sh*t-fit over the activation crap. The thing is though that M$ will have all-in-wonder CD-keys that will deactivate product activation, like there is in OfficeXP so im not too worried about it.

I would just like to throw in my 2 cents.

I'm wondering what's going on here all i see is flaming wars. Now i came here to find some positive critisim and debates on win2k and/or winxp but all i find is "your a homo, lamer". "F**k you" and what not. Now can we get back to the real point of this site. I will admitt some of the wars do make me laugh but when there is like 5 pages full of crap then what does that tell ya. I don't want to start anymore wars but can we all get back to the real point here. I would love to know what u guys think of Winxp but don't bash it due to the fact that it just looks lame because Windows 3.1 (which wasn't really there idea) looked lame but hey it was the best OS MS ever came out with for there DOS (well wasn't really there dos but who cares lol) so looks don't count.

------------------

"In order to be free to learn"

"We must be free to dream"

Little known but greatly appreciated by low-end machine owners like me, was an OS/GUI known as GeoWorks. They did it up good on Commodore's, but switched over to PC's in the early '90's. At about the same time Microsoft debutted Windows 3.0, GeoWorks released Ensemble for the PC. Like Windows, it also ran on top of DOS and for me, it was great. I remember magazine ads for GeoWorks Ensemble quoting another rag's reviewer(PC World, I think it was), as touting GeoWorks Ensemble as, "What Windows should have been!"

And it was. Multithreaded, multitasking, faster and with much lower hardware requirements than Windows. And its print drivers gave 9-pin printers near-laser quality output. The whole operating system and fairly full-featured programs, including a word processor, spreadsheet, and flat-file database programs (and solitaire, applets, etc.)fit in less than 10MB, even their later versions. It was coded in Assembler, and was fast, fast, fast.

But that was the problem. Without a software development environment and tools, nobody could (not very easily) or would code programs for it. A later version was coded in C, and a developers kit was released, but by then it was too late. GeoWorks beefed up the applications, bringing them up to a par with most office suites, but it still didn't matter.

GeoWorks had a lot of fanatical users, including myself, and we hung in there as long as we could. The very first versions of AOL for the PC all ran GeoWorks runtime engines on top of DOS, and I was also a charter member of AOL via GeoWorks. (Hey, it as 1990, give me a break! smile )

GeoWorks and Ensemble are still out there. GeoWorks produces computer 'appliances' last time I heard, and Ensemble is now owned and produced by New Deal, Inc. And it's now sold to buyers of used, lower-end machines such as those sold through Renaissance Computers, and as an economical operating system for school computers.

Anyway, enough of a stroll down memory lane. laugh

------------------

"Being married to a programmer is like owning a cat. You talk to it but you're never really sure it hears you, much less comprehends what you say." -DeadCats, 1999

"Talking to DeadCats is like talking to a dead cat." -MrsDeadCats, 2001

Ya OS/2 Warp was another great OS. Compared to win95 OS/2 smoked it's as* in speed, stabilty and power along with other differences but what happened to OS/2 was the samething that happened to GeoWorks Ensemble just got weeded out by the guy they call "GOD"(Bill Gates).

------------------

"In order to be free to learn"

"We must be free to dream"

I heard about that but what make you so sure it real deactivate key ?.

Maybe it is new type of time bomb just waiting to go off, Maybe it a new sneak way to see how min people are real useing that product key that didn't buy it.

Some time ago I was going buy Office2000 but soon I hear about activate carp I siad to my self no way I stick with what I have then one day wail shopping at BestBuy & saw Office200 sitting on the self my jaw fall to the floor win I saw the price tag damm there joking rigth $550 and no FrontPage, PhotoDraw and no Vaseline is not included with this deal darn (hehe) for a full ver I paid less then half that for full ver Office97 Pro $225 at BestBuy.

I try out StarOffice or aka now know as OpenOffice it nice but I didn't like Java carp Interface.

It bad enougth we have to put with that damm Windows Update Site but thank god for Windows Update Corporate Site hehe at less now I can save them update to the Harddrive.

The biggest thing I real hate about that activate I need buy 2 CD ekk bite me MS what you think I'am made of money we are not all rich you know.

Where Rodin Hood win you need him ? (hehe).