Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ROM

Help with whistler, or I'll cry..please

I just downloaded whistler files so I could install it. It taken me 2 days and It wont work. I am just hoping I have done something wrong and it can be fixed. I am really upset as you can imagine...

Anyway.

I downloaded a load of rar files and unzipped them (about 230MB) I burnt the stuff onto a cd following the instructions given at:http://www.angelfire.com/de2/w2kcd/

Now when I boot of the CD it goes through loading up all the files it needs for setup and when it goes to actually begin the setup I get a stop error.

If I try and run the setup up from within windows 2000 i get an error message saying that the installation source path specified to setup is invalid. i dont know what to do. I really hope I can get this working........

I'm not usally so desperate but 2 days on a 56k modem.....

I've just read that whistler will not install on 90% of compters (2250). I wish I had known this before.

Oh well, here are my specs if it helps:

GX 2000 mobo latest bios

p3 650 slot 1

128 MB RAM

Sound blaster live 1024

Elsa Erazor x (geforce sdr)

Netgear FA310TX network card

Hitachi DVD drive

Creative 4224e CRW

20 GB Fujitsu drive

6 GB Fujitsu drive

Nothing out of the ordinary...I have all shadowing and stuff turned off in the bios. Windows 2000 installed fine.

Hey man that actually happened to me with Win2k RC3, after 2 days of downloading.

But with whistler too. The setup program hanged. after a two or three tryes, i decided to go to my bios and loaded setup defaults. after that i could install it.

Good Luck man mad

------------------

http://win2ktools.cjb.net

Asus CUSL2 Mobo

PIII 6000EB

Creative GE F**K Force

SB LIVE!

256Mb

8.4GB UTA66

Thanks

I'll play around with it but its nice to get a friendly reply.

I have posted in 'other' newsgroups only to get smart ass responses by people saying that I didnt pay for it so I shouldnt get any help. It was getting me down...

Really, thanks, you have restored some of my faith in newsgroups and forums (well, this one is particually good).

:-)

Kind of hard paying for an internal MS build wink

// Toby

Shhh Don't say that Toby, Mr Gates might hear ya and start charging for internal builds also laugh

why pay for something from the evil empire when you can get it for free? if id known anything bout whistler id help you anyday =)

It's strange how whistler behaves. Both 2223.1 and 2250 installed just fine on my old Crapard-Bell system (P233 MMX) from the get-go, with no BIOS mods necessary (it was already set to non-PNP OS). Granted, it might be that the only parts left of the original Crapard-Bell system are the mobo and video...

drew

Install windows nt 4 workstation then upgrade with whistler works every time ive done it 3 times no probs i tried clean install and upgrade of windows 2000 pro with problems but an upgrade of NT4 workstation works every time.

Whistler 2250.

wow...this are some weird bugs...I think they re-did all of their drivers and ****, that's way it has a problem installing from fresh

About the fresh install....I just did an install right beside my current install of Windows 2000 Professional, and the only problem is when you reboot into the other OS, for some reason it gets all messed up (something to do with the swap file or NTFS drives I believe). Other than that, no problems.

Do you think that my version of whistler may not be working becuase it has been burned wrongly or some file(s) have been corrupted during download. My hardware is nothing strange. And get a stop error when setting it up seems a little harsh.

Is they anyway you can get a copy on cd from anywhere? I couldnt stomach downloading it all over again to 'make sure'.

thanks

Hey ROM:

You might try out your copy on someone elses PC if you ask them nicely enough. Or find a small Hard drive to play around with.

The way I do this stuff is I have my big hard drive (20.5G Quantum LM) which has my main OS then I have a 1.2G drive that I play around with. Any new released OS's or to learn Linux on. I have it in a Hard drive caddy and whenever I want to use it I power down and plug the caddy in. With the right boot sequence in the bios It chooses the small drive first and experimenting I go.

Cant help you with Whistler though right yet. Havent got around to it.

Has anyone figured out how to enable the new start menu, and other "hidden" stuff in Whistler?

Start menu: Go to Start menu properties (right click the start button to get there), then press Alt-D...

Start page: It's an Active Desktop item, though it's broken. Make your Active Desktop the Startpage.htm that's in the windows/web/startpage folder.

drew

[This message has been edited by drewc (edited 22 August 2000).]