Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CeRbErO

Win2k Startup takes about a year...

When my Win2k Pro is starting up, I have to wait about 1-2 minutes for it to do nothing.

It stops on the first graphical screen and just, kinda 'waits'.

This problem began when i opened my comp yesterday, to move one of my hard drives. I messed with some of the IDE cables, but they are all in place now.

I have Win98 and Win2k dual booting, and there's no problems at all with Win98. And Win2k runs smooth as hell, once I get in the damned thing.

I have a p2/233 with 64 mbs of Ram.

------------------

a faster CPU and more ram help.

my p2-400 with 64 megs took around a minute i think, now my p3-600 with 128 is noticeably faster in bootup...

i have the same prob. Im using a Celeron@550mhz and 128mb. I think it may be something to do with me having a Network card, but not having anything connected to it. So it has to wait for a time-out before continuing

Yeah. I know a better CPU would help, but it's just... Before i messed with the IDE cables and all, the startup took about 20 secs... The **** started just after i messed around...

smile laugh , it takes about 2-3 mins with my system (I dont ´have any services turned off though, jsut my network card)

------------------

My system specs:

PIII 600E @ 800 (slot 1) 160mb RAM, SBLive, 15 GB IBM, Gigabyte BX2000@133, WinTV primio, Pioneer DVD 10x, Iiyama VM 451 (1280x1024@100Hz smile.

[This message has been edited by Iasius (edited 12 June 2000).]

This is 90% due to a network setup. Windows is trying to find your settings and it takes LONG. Try taking ya card out and see if it makes a difference. (Also remove all the references to it).

It coud also be a faulty driver..... but usualy a network... Even if it is just a card, the Windows doesn't know that it ain't plugged in smile

Well, I found my prob eventually smile

I found, that when I messed around with my IDE cables, i happened to unplug my floppy drive powersupply smile

I don't know why your computers are slow in booting, guys. I have a P3-450, 128MB on an ASUS P2B board and I just added a network card yesterday. I noticed no slowdown in booting except the first time I booted with the card in. I attributed that to loading drivers for the card and configuring it (no driver disk needed!! that was awesome...us NT enthusiasts aren't used to that.)

Bear in mind that Windows 2000 and NT were never meant to boot faster than 98. My personal opinion is that it isn't really possible, and at the same time, I don't really care if it takes longer to boot than 98 simply because of how much better it is. :-)

If it really is an issue, I'd just log off when you're done using it rather than shutting it down. If anyone complains to you about the electricity it's using, tell them that all the alarm clocks and crap that are running 24/7 in the building add up to more juice than one computer (with the monitor and whatever laser printer you have off, of course).

I had the same problam, in fact I still do but if you want a real fast startup try enabling "Hibernate" mode. This will restore the complete system state before powering off (even if you are logged in and have documents open). To enable this, open up "Display Properties" and select the "Screen Saver" tab. Next click on the "Power" switch and select the tab "Hibernate" and enable it. Onced this is enabled you will get an extra field in all "Shut Down" dialogs. I think you will be pleasently surprised.

Mail me back if this works for you.

Regards

Steve Rance

stever : whattya mean "even if ur logged in"? u mean if u have a ssh or ftp or whatever session open?

when winblows reinstall problems solved!!!

when i was running winblows 98se i had to reinstall about once a month to provide almost mildy sort of reliable performance. since the upgrade to win2k back in september i have reinstalled like 3 or 4 times. However not due to any porbs with the os i just had reasons to repartition my drive (like messing with other OSes on the side) and since partition magic is one of the only peices of software i haven't been able to pirate the only way to do it was repartition and reinstall. Even if windows doesn't give you problems it is a good idea to reformat and reinstall on a regular basis it makes for a nice fast clean system, very little fragmentation, nice clean reg and you lose that whole mess of progies that you tried once and forgot about. I guess most of you porbably aren't quite as anal about your pc's performance as me but just my 2 cents anyway

My startup in W2k takes up to 7 minutes!!! And the whole time it's busy.

I'm now going to try what Four and Twenty said.

Check this also

[This message has been edited by davidsmelt (edited 18 July 2000).]

I tuned my 800mhz very well (im good at tuning computers to be fast smile

Anyways, mine takes less than 35 seconds to load the desktop complete

I had a Asus P3V4X mainboard with the "lovely" VIA chipset, and Windows 2000 did boot very very slowly. I had a P2B before, and it were flying with Windows 2000. I sold the VIA chipset board (too many crashed), and got a P3B-F from Asus and its even faster than my old P3B-F.

I think that ur mainboards quality has alot to do with the general speed of Windows 2000.

Well I have the much debated FIC SD11 mother board and my system boots and is usable in 45 seconds and I am really happy.

My System:

Fic SD11

K-7 750

Kingston 256 Meg Ram Cas 2

Fujitsu 10.5 Gig (O.S)

Western Digital 13.5 gig

Radeon 32 DDR Video Card

SB Live! X-Gamer

Dxr3 CL DVD Card

Netgear FA310TX

CL 6X DVD ROM

HP 8200 Plus CD-Writer

Linksys 1 Port DSL Router

Westtel ADSL Modem

Mustek 600 III Pus Scanner

Epson Stylus 400

Quickcam VC USB

.........and it all works!!!

Ned

"when winblows reinstall problems solved!!!" quote from fourandtwenty

What do u mean by 'reinstall' is that a clean installation or an upgrade over the top installation? because upgrade will still leave the bugs left by the previous operating system- it is also more likely to be bugged. which means porblems NOT solved

This is fun reading :-)

Reinstall once a month for optimal performance....yeah sure...

My linux system is more stable than win2000, takes less time to boot than win98, no fragmentation and you never have to reinstall to keep the performance.

I'm no linux zealot though...I know that windows is superior in many areas, it's just that moments like this reminds me why I also use linux.

It has to do with your user settings. I deleted the users and active desktops, and logged in as Administrator and all booted fine

Mine boots from cold in about 60 seconds to desktop. But I use hibernate now, instead of shutting down properly. Restarts in about 30 seconds flat.

The network card is the most common cause of these problems. However, I have my Win2k machine connected to a network at home all the time now, so that problem has ended.

My Win 98 laptop however always takes forever to boot with the nic plugged in.

Only suggestion to people who have this problem is try and find newer drivers, rather than stick to the ones that came on the Win2k setup disc.

Homer