Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
*Iblis*

a load of questions...

ok, a few win2k questions for ya:

firstly, how do you get rid of the Local Area Connection icon in the systray? it's currently got a cross on it cos i aint plugged in my network card. i've ticked the box to stop it showing the icon, but it shows it anyway

next, how do you get the icons in the systray to show in lots of colours? currently they look horrible (the winamp one in particular, looks fine on the quicklaunch bar, horrible in the systray). icons are already set to use all possible colours and i've tried setting the icon bpp to 24 and 32 but no difference (in fact my normal icons look worse)

when connecting to the net, the thing never saves my password, even tho i type it in and click on the save password button, next time i try to connect it's replaced my password with my user name, tryed all combinations of checking box and connecting, no luck

i've heard that there isn't any way to get a proggy to run before win2k boots up (ie like u used to be able to put stuff in autoexec.bat in win98). from what i know i tend to agree, but i could really do with running a program b4 windows loads on boot-up. can any1 confirm that i can't do this?

hmm, i think that's all i have for the moment smile

1: try disabling the network card. This might fix it? Or, say you're not connected to a network in your setup..this will get rid of it.

2: not sure

3: in 98 this had something to do with network settings....here I've never had it happen? can't help..sorry

4: Not sure either

1 out of 4 though

------------------

PIII 500 (Pre CuMine)

160MB RAM

GeForce DDR

Sonic Impact S90

Win2K Prof(and W98SE, but unused since early March)

Logitech Itouch Elite

Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer

Everglide (HL Giganta)

Logitech Quickcam Home

etc. etc. etc.

I'll be damned. I found something that might solve...number 4? the pre-load thing?

try going here---it deals with services for startup

http://www.3dspotlight.net/tweaks/win2k_services/services-2.shtml

------------------

PIII 500 (Pre CuMine)

160MB RAM

GeForce DDR

Sonic Impact S90

Win2K Prof(and W98SE, but unused since early March)

Logitech Itouch Elite

Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer

Everglide (HL Giganta)

Logitech Quickcam Home

etc. etc. etc.

1. OPen your network connection settings for that connection. There is a checkbox that causes the icon to be displayed in the systray. Uncheck it. :}

i've tried unchecking that box already, icon's still there frown

disabling the network card does the trick, so that'll do for the moment until i get the network set up.

cheers for the idea about the services, problem is, the program i've got needs to run in dos, not windows, so i've really got to get it to run before windows even loads.

cheers for your help so far tho

If the icons are looking horrible and they are not disappearing when you want them to, i think there are some values in your registry that aren't working properly. I seriously doubt that you could find which ones they are and edit them, so, i recommend that you reinstall win2k using the "upgrade" option (doesn't really upgrade it just keeps your file system in tact). Reinstalling will clean the registry. Hope this helps.

cheers, i might give that a go

thing is, i remember the icons looking horrible in the systray on win98 (the only one i really notice it on is the winamp icon, try it and see if you get the same thing) but i somehow managed to fix it then, can't remember how tho frown

plus this is a clean installation of win2k anyway, installed last tuesday smile

ta anyway, it'll be worth a try to see if it fixes all these other probs as well

[This message has been edited by *Iblis* (edited 16 June 2000).]

The systray icons are a problem for me as well.... it's not just win2k either, because it does the same thing in 98. Does anyone know how to fix it?

For your dialup connection, make sure you are logging in as an admin, or whatever user you were when you created the connection. If that doesn't work, just try recreating the connection using the wizard, and enter the login when it tells you to, if you wait until you actually try to dial in, it may not remember it.

As for the icons, I'm not sure what you mean by they look horrible. The ones in the tray will look worse than the icons in other places simply because they are scaled down. You can try grabbing tweakui. One of the tabs lets you repair all icons, which may fix your problem.

[This message has been edited by SpongeMaster (edited 18 June 2000).]

They look bad because they are in 16 colors, rather than 256 colors like everywhere else. Winamp is the perfect example: in preferences if you change the system tray icon, there are several that look good ans they are already scaled to size. when implemented though, they are converted to 16 colors, which looks horrible.

ok, the answers to 3/4 of them

1)you already fixed it, though I know that what whoever said unchecking that thing is how you fix it ... otherwise try some registry setting

2)It's winamp's fault for the icon looking like that, winamp is MY only weird icon, and it always has been, even since NT for me, and on my 9x box. It's just how it is. You can always make your own icon, and I'm sure you could find a prog or write your own that replaces icons within progs. I know you can replace bitmaps within progs using renovator .. hehe, i love that program.

3)I get my internet from my net card, sorry dude, I've never used dialup.

4)You can't, unless you make it a service. THERE IS NO DOS SUPPORT. That's the key thing. You'll have to go back to 9x if you want to run your dos prog, because you just can't. you can emulate dos from nt/2k, but if it has to be run BEFORE startup, I'm guessing it's some sort of direct access to hardware prog, in which case it won't work from 2k anyway. Sorry dude, you'll just have to stick with 9x for that.

yeah, i'd kinda guessed you can't run stuff in dos smirk cheers for confirming it tho.

thanks for your help everyone, i'm pretty much sorted now, cept for it still forgetting my password frown

i'm logged in as administrator, tried redoing the connection, still no luck. ho hum

as for the icons, it does seem to be only winamp, tho before installing win2000 i was using winME RC0 and i somehow managed to fix the icon, problem is i dunno what i did.

[This message has been edited by *Iblis* (edited 19 June 2000).]

About the password thing...

Do you have "Client for MS Networks" in the Networking setup? I have found that I could not remember passwords to my connections (even non MS-networks) without this client enabled. Seems weird, but it worked for me.

A couple of things to look at concerning Win2k not caching your network passwords:

--Do you have the system configured for single user use? To check, go to Control Panel=>Users and Passwords=>Uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer."

--Have you tried creating a new profile and trying your connectoid there? It's possible some freak combination of settings in your current profile are conspiring to keep passwords from being cached properly.

--Scrimbo Obeer

About the icon thing, try, install tweakui2k and rebuild icon database under repair

With regards to the question on the dialup stuff not remembering your passwords. I had similar probs under win9x as well. The problem was sorted when the dialup username is the same as the username which is given to windows at startup. If they differ, for some obscure reason, windows decides that it won't store the dialup password.

That may sort it out for win2k as something like this happened at my work where some ppl dialup when they were using win2k.

I used to find that if i messed around changing the apperence of windows (loading the preset color and sizes) the icons in the system tray would look bad. I found that if i closed the programs that the icons belonged to (either using the program or ctrl alt del), the next time windows started they would look good again.

Does anyone have a problem with icons not up[censored] or seeing multiple one's? To resolve the issue, I sometimes move my mouse over them several times and they correct themselves, but at this point, I am getting annoyed. ICQ will show the offline colors when I actually went back online and that kinda thing.

the icons get displayed in 16 color in the tray in all windows except xp

there is a fix for it somewhere out there it was posted on this board a while back. it requires that u replace explorer with a modified one then it works great.