Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
oXide

perr ro perr networking troubles, please help

Oxide first of all you don't enable RIP on a workstation. It's in the Linksys router settings themselves. They are accessed via IE by typing in 192.168.1.1 and opening them. 192.168.1.1 is a generic gateway for routng devices (you mayhave assigned it another I don't know) What RIP does alot of times after you enable it is "free up" a "clogging" of mis-directed packets throughout your network. Once you have the results desired, you can disable the RIP function as it creates extra packet traffic on your network while it actively/passively seeks the routes. It is good to enable it many times then disable it after everything is cool. If it doesen't run well without it, then you have other issues on your network.

Are you on firmware version 1.37? If you are cool.

Yes, if you disable the DHCP function and assign static IP's, then you will have to go into network settings and manually assign an IP to your friends computer when hooking up to your network. Make sure you set it back when he leaves or he will be stuck with info for your network and he won't be able to logon anyone else's.

Yes, the BEFSR11 is a "pain" sometimes. It can take a great deal of patience and Linksys

tech support sucks major horse dick. They are so dumb, I swear it. I have so much experience in routers that if you need help, then just ask me. NP. I'll do my best!

Good luck!

You can also forward ports for special service functions, if needed.

Who is your DSL/cable provider? They use PPOE?

Hey Oxide I was thinking a lag might also exist from your hub. Hubs spread the bandwidth over several ports. Switches give intermittent full access to each port individually allowing for quicker network access. Try getting a switch if you can and see if that helps. Linksys switch like $ 50.00. Also kill everything in your network panel except for what you are using. Minimally you should have:

Client for MS networks.

TCP/IP

Network adapter

File and printer sharing.

If you have anything else, and you are not using it (like IPX/SPX etc.), then kill it.

It will slow you down!

I think my problem is the RWIN and MTU settings in my registry. I went to dslreports.com, dl'ed a registry tweak, and It seemed to have fixed my problem with streaming media...weird huh

I think I will enable DHCP again on my router, as it makes it easier, and I will upgrade my router's firmware.

I did get a new hub, btw, which is 100mbit and it says it is a switch as well.

thanks for all the help !

No, it's not that weird. But when you reinstalled your OS, the defaults should have sufficed. Glad to see you are working again.

------------------

Regards,

clutch