Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisX420

Internet via Network

Hi,

I Have 2PCs. One is using Win2k, the other Win98SE. The Win2k PC is connected to the Internet. Now I also want to browse the INternet with the other PC. They are connected with a Netowrk Card. What do I have to do?

First of all, how 'networked' are your machines right now?? IP addresses within the same range? Subnet mask the same? what protocol is installed?

If you have it running already, it's as simple as clicking the sharing tab on your internet connection (the host machine of course) and enabling Net Sharing.

Then set the gateway on the client machine, to the IP adress of the host machine. Give the client a lil reboot and bob's your uncle.

Oh yeah! don't forget to create a user on the 2k machine, or you won't get scraps!

This is fairly well explained in the windows help file. So read it if you have any probs.

Ok,

I have 210Mbit Realtek Network Cards. I don´t know, which IP adress I should use. I need like a list, what I do first. I have installed TCP/IP and IPX. I have also enabled the Internet sharing for my connection.

I had the same prob - thank u! now it woks fine

------------------

------------------------

Athlon 900MHz

256 MB PC 100 SDRam

Creative V3 3500TV/AGP

3x IBM DHEA 25GB

Initio SCSI Adapter 9100UW

Yamaha CD-RW 4416

Ultraplex 32x

Lite-ON 32x

SONY DLT 7000

Creative Sound Blaster PCI 64 (ES 1370)

Logitech Wingman Extreme

Printer 1000 (CD-Printer)

Copyline CD-Producer 4000 (4xTeacCD-RW-8xSpeed) (www.cic.cc/copyline2000)

LAN T1 Internet Connection

V7 19´´ Monitor

Windows 2000

------------------------

This 'Net Sharing' option is only in Win98SE right? I have the same situation, only it's with Win2k and Win98 systems, the Win2k having the internet connection. How would it be done in this case?

First of all, Exstreme is correct... This is documented quite well in the help file.

If 98se machine is to be the host, install ICS from Add/Remove programs - Windows Setup - Internet Stuff - ICS...

It will walk you through making the setup.

If it seems f'd up and you want to configure things manually (I prefer manually, cuz DHCP screws up some systems I've set up):

TCP/IP setup:

Host machine must have an IP of 192.168.0.1 (2k and 98se).

Clients should have IP's of 192.168.0.x

Use a subnet mask like 255.255.255.0.

All clients must have the default gateway set to 192.168.0.1

Enable the DNS, give each computer a Host name (doesn't matter what), don't worry about the domain, but put in DNS server #'s from your ISP (u can use ipconfig /all for 2k, and winipcfg for 98se, after hookn to your ISP to find them).

Make sure your clients are set to never dial a connection in IE.

The host should be set to Always dial your default connection (which should be configured to automatically connect and know your password - unless you only want to share when you manually connect).

If you have 98se as HOST:

Check sharing configuration on the host in IE, also under connections - down on the bottom (if you don't see this ICS isn't installed - see top)

If you have 2k as HOST:

In Network and Dial-Up connections, in the properties for your ISP connection, under the sharing tab, put check marks in the approp. boxes.

[This message has been edited by Andersony (edited 02 May 2000).]

Thanks Andersony. However I think I didn't make myself too clear, sorry. I have Win98, the first edition, not Win98SE. I don't find any options for Net Sharing in it. How might it be done in this case?

if you don't have win98SE or win2k, you'll have to use another program to share internet access. Something like WinGate, WinRoute, Sygate...there's lots of different ones.

[This message has been edited by LM (edited 30 April 2000).]

anyone know how to get a NAT working on 2k??

I have grabbed an eval copy of winroute and sygate and I have tried sygate in 98 but it won't work in 2k - I can't use ICS in 2k (advserver) becuase it doesn't work alongside DNS & DHCP servers - I was sure I could enable NAT through RRAS but I have been unsuccessful - if anyone can shed light please drop me a line at Networking@RKimTan.co.uk

cheers

CL

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudyatek:
Thanks Andersony. However I think I didn't make myself too clear, sorry. I have Win98, the first edition, not Win98SE. I don't find any options for Net Sharing in it. How might it be done in this case?

If the Win2k machine is the host (i.e. the one with the internet connection) then you don't have to do the net sharing step on the win98. just make sure all the ip's, gateways, etc are set up as andersony said.

Actually, I should have been a little bit more clearer (hence, my edit on my post) for ya Rudyatek... I edited the bottom to show that those configurations were for whichever host your using (in your case 2k).

Thats exactly what CUViper was clearing up about my post... (Grassy Ass maauuhnn smile

[This message has been edited by Andersony (edited 02 May 2000).]

Ah, I see now, much clearer. Win2k will be the host in my case, so that's cleared up. Thanks guys!

if you have a win 2k server you can use microsoft proxy server

it works very good for me

never problems

but it only runs on a server, not the pro