Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jabba

Network Neighbourhood across Inet.

How can I get my friend's computer (who lives next door and is on rogers @home with me) to join my Workgroup in network neighbourhood. I read some stuff about LMHOSTS, and I put the appropriate information in there, but his computer refuses to show up anywhere in network neighbourhood or resolve when i type "\\computername" in the run command.

My setup:

*Win2k*

IP: 24.112.191.112

Netmask: 255.0.0.0

No WINS server

His setup:

*Win98*

IP: 24.114.229.160

Netmask: 255.0.0.0

No WINS server

Try Changing your friends IP:

ex. 24.112.191.111

------------------

/>jWe<

Don't do what the idiot above suggests - your friends connection will stop working, and he'll probably get a nasty visit from the @Home police.

Most service providers now filter the message types that allow network neighbourhood to work, otherwise you'd see everyone else's machine too - and they'd see yours.

------------------

SuperMicro P6DBS (dual UW-SCSI) BIOS 2.2, 2*Celery 300a @ 450Mhz, 384MB PC100 RAM

SCSI-A=4.3Gb+9Gb, SCSI-B=Tosh32x CD-ROM, Yamaha4416 CD-RW, Iomega ZIP100, IDE1=4.3Gb

IBM EtherJet 10/100 NIC PCI + Nortel ADSL "modem"

Matrox G400 DH 32Mb AGP + Quantum3D Voodoo2 SLI PCI (CL TNT1 AGP on a shelf)

SoundBlaster Live PCI (not Value)

Win2K build 2195 Retail (not 120-day eval)

I messed around with MS VPN awhile back. If you have 2k Server, you could make use of this and accomplish what you wanted, if I remember right.

[This message has been edited by Andersony (edited 11 April 2000).]

I have to admit I laughed at that opening line yuppie, but now that we know what not to do, what is your suggestion on what TO do. Is it even possible to do what this guy is asking about without being in "violation?"

Quote:
Originally posted by YuppieScum:

Don't do what the idiot above suggests - your friends connection will stop working, and he'll probably get a nasty visit from the @Home police.

Most service providers now filter the message types that allow network neighbourhood to work, otherwise you'd see everyone else's machine too - and they'd see yours.

It's possible to make an arbitrary connection between 2 machines - IRC, AIM, ICQ and deathmatch game all do it.

Drive mapping should be do-able also, but it much depends on which ports the ISP actually allows traffic on - after a lot of bad publicity in the US, most cable companies actively filter port 138 (or 139) which is used by the Network Neighbourhood browser.

Once I get cable in my apartment, I'll give it a go...

in know that in win2k you can access his computer in telenet and he can yours, if he has windows 2000 and you have it to, in the admin tools, for telenet, you have to start the services. then go in to a regular telenet session

type open

and his ip

and you should be in his comptuer in a dos format. my friend and i did that. but since he has 98 i dont know if it would work correctly.