Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Loc

LAN not working correctly

Hi all, ive got a bit of a problem. My pc (win2k) is hooked onto a LAN with 2 other pc's (one Win2k and one win98). Thing is, my LAN performance is like 1/8-th it was in the past. We run a 10Mbit LAN but i only get 100K/s to and from the other pc's. I cant find out what the problem is, we are all on the same workgroup and if i do a search for computers near me i can find then no problem, theres just the speed problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

And i forgot to add that the other 2 pcs DO have a good working connection, so its some setting on my pc which is causing the problem.

Are you using a switch or a hub to link the machines?

Are you using CAT5 cable throughout? Are they all in good nick?

Does the hub or switch show a "collision" light?

Is the latest machine just using a 10Mb only card?

It could be that the "auto speed negotiation" that 10/100 cards do is not completing properly. Manually config all the cards to 100Mb full duplex.

------------------

SuperMicro P6DBS (dual UW-SCSI) BIOS 2.2, 2*Celery 300a @ 450Mhz, 384MB PC100 RAM

SCSI-A=4.3Gb+9Gb, SCSI-B=Tosh32x CD-ROM, Yamaha4416 CD-RW, Iomega ZIP100, IDE1=4.3Gb

IBM EtherJet 10/100 NIC PCI + Nortel ADSL "modem"

Matrox G400 DH 32Mb AGP + Quantum3D Voodoo2 SLI PCI (CL TNT1 AGP on a shelf)

SoundBlaster Live PCI (not Value)

Win2K build 2195 Retail (not 120-day eval)

Thanks for the help Yuppie, but i was being an arse. I had AtGuard running in the background which apparently blocked the traffic partially.

/me feels stupid and go stands in a corner now =(

--Loc