Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
INFERNO2000

Not enough memory? My 4$$!

Every Adobe Photoshop version I've tried installing has said that there's not enough memory. I have 256MB, I'm fine as far as memory and swap space goes..so what's the deal?

------------------

NECESSARY EVIL

--Custom Built [H]ard PC--

<Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP1>

Intel Pentium III Coppermine(FCPGA 370) 800eb @ 954 (with an original ThermalTake Golden Orb heatsink)

Asus CUSL2 motherboard(no onboard sound)Rev 1.02 BIOS; rev 1003.004 (Beta)

256MB PC133 SDRAM (1x256 Mushkin Rev2 CAS 2:2:2 5t/7t)

SuperMicro 760A Full Tower(Modded for more fans and painted Rustoleum Hammered Black)

SP301-RA 300W Athlon Approved Redundant Cooling Power Supply

IBM15-7 15GB UDMA/100 7200RPM hdd & 30GB MAXTOR Diamand Max UDMA/66 7200 RPM hdd

7 80mm,3 92mm, and 2 120mm High Output fans(along with 2 80mm in Power Supply, CPU, and GeForce fans) spewing out well over 1000 CFM

Creative Labs SB Live! X-Gamer running on Liveware 3

Creative Labs Graphics Blaster Annhilator Pro GeForce256 DDR on Detonator 6.34

Logitech Itouch Pro Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard

Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer(Gen 1) & Everglide (HL Giganta)

Logitech Soundman G1 Powered Speakers & AIWA HPX222 Headphones

D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 Ethernet Adapter

Compaq V720 17” (1280x1024) Monitor

Hewlett Packard 660Cse Printer

Memorex 4x2x24 CD-RW & Pioneer 6x DVD/ 32x CD-ROM

Hauppauge WinTV Go

I get that problem when I open files in Flash 4. I don't know why I can create and save them, then when I open them back up to work on them it tells me that I am low on memory. Here's the specs:

Win2K Retail

PIII 550@605

256MB RAM

25GB IDE HD (IBM)

ASUS P3B-F

Visiontek GeForce SDR (ver 6.30 drivers)

SB Live! MP3+

Intel Pro/100 Mgmt Adapter

Samsung 5x DVD/32x CD Drive

This happens if I am running at stock speed (550) as well.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

i used to have the same pb.

except it was more like "you got a pb, sorry this is an unrecoverable error...and so" in photoshop.

I think I read something about p3b-f not handling memory as it should an therefore causing pb with photoshop and some other apps.

this sounded odd but i gave it a try and bought a p3v4x and don't have any pb now.

don't know if this helps.

(by the way does anyone has some unexpected errors about memory when closing apps and actually own a p3bf... I used to have LOTS of them and now since I swapped M/B i don't have any...)

Photoshop5 LE that came with my harddrive worked fine...

now the full version and 5.5 don't work?

I KNOW my RAM is good..it's one the best on market...

256MB Mushkin PC133 Cas 2:2:2 (running at 159).

But I'm wondering, if Photoshop just doesn't understand overclocked RAM properly? That doesn't make sense though, as the RAM's access is controlled by the operating system....which runs fine.

Maybe I'll just have to go to Paintshop Pro frown

youhou:

I haven't had any problems with any other app other than flash. I have a P3B-F in my main system, and my NT Server as well. I have also had the problem with flash on my PC at work (Dell Dimension XPS-T733 w/ 128MB RDRAM running Win2K). I just thought that it was an incompatibility with Win2K and blew it off. I am gonna get Flash 5 at some point soon anyway.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

You should try MemTurbo from http://www.memturbo.com

I use it and it works well. I set it to defrag and flush the free memory every 60mins. It allows me to have 50% of my RAM free nearly all the time.

------------------

Written on Win2000 using:

PII 300

Aopen AX6B

160mb RAM

Diamond Viper 770 32mb

SBLive! Value

20gb Seagate

6gb WDCaviar

Pioneer 32x CD-R (Slot)

Realtek RTL8029AS 10mbit

Accton EN1660 10mbit

Osborne MO117 17"

Using 100% Australian Made recyclable electrons

The thing is, MEMORY ISN'T A PROBLEM FOR ME?! I don't need Memturbo, as I've ALWAYS got over 100MB free Physical RAM.

Well, excuse me!

Your case and it's 357 fans blow nearly as much hot air as you do.

Sorry if I came out that way...but thought I'd explained that I have enough RAM. That's why I made the stupid post. Why is it saying I don't have enough when I have more than enough.

Hey, I was having a problem with my system dying when I tried to do something memory/cpu intensive while PS5.5/6.0 were running, I also have 256 megs of ram which suprised me that I would be having memory problems. My system hanged each time, someone on IRC suggested that the default memory usage settings for PS are too high. By default PS is set to use 50% of your memory, I bumped it down to 25% and now it works perfectly. Try it, it might be whats messing it up.

Edit->Prefrences->Memory & Image Cache

[This message has been edited by swoosher (edited 31 October 2000).]

For some arcane reason Photoshop, at least thru version 5.5, requires a minimum 10MB swapfile on your Win2K drive. It won't start otherwise and will give that exact error message. Add a 10MB swapfile to your %systemroot% drive and you'll be set...

Drew

Ok..I'll try that

that's stupid though...

oh well. thanks!

IT worked!!!

I'll be thoroughly damned smile

Thanks a lot!

[This message has been edited by INFERNO2000 (edited 10 November 2000).]