Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BizBo

Direct X 8 Beta - oops!

Hi, I installed the beta version of DirectX 8 thinking it would be cool to try it. But I beleive it to be an old version of a RC. Now I get certain errors (which suggest it's time limited). Is there anyway of removing or reinstalling the DirectX 7.0a that ships with 2k ? I have attempted to reinstall the 2K but the DX8 is still there? Any ideas?

8)

nope i heard the uninstaller doesnt work, and from what ive heard there arent any new versions out, so either reinstall or try doing a repair install.

I used the dx8 uninstaller (in your winnt\system directory - can't remember what the name is, but you'll know it when you see it). I've had no problems with it, dx7 still works just fine.

--

Xiven

I just used Sfc /scannow to replaced my Eval DX8 wiht DX7. Everything still reports DX8 is installed, but best of all, my sticky keys woes still do not return laugh

Hi, two points, firstly win2k uses dx7 not dx7.0a, it isn't compatible, and secondly, there are references to this issue elsewhere in this message forum. Have you tried searching for the file uninstdx8.exe on your system? That will remove it and return you back to dx7 ok.

Chris

You could do an upgrade install it leaves all your setting as they were but just installs all of the system defaults.I did this it restored directx 7.Just stick your cd in and choose upgrade when prompted.

Or use the system file protection command

c:sfc /scannow

i dont know if direct x files are protected try it though.

good luck .

[This message has been edited by ras (edited 15 August 2000).]

try installing directx7 again and see if it asks to overwrite the newer files with an older file and choose yes - it 'might' work

Thanks for all your help! I don't think that DX8 can be unistalled. I think I will need to run the setup and do an upgrade. It will be interesting to see what happens. I will keep you posted.

As for the unistall software that only works in 9x and I tried it and screwed up the system.

Mother f*cker. The links are already dead f*ck. Anyone manage to grab a copy before the links went down?

Guys thanks for all your help! I have done an over write and now all is fine!

Ta!!

smile