Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
STi Sev

*DO NOT* Install IE 5.5!!!!!!!

I know how everyone LOVES microsoft updates, but for God's Sake.. DONT INSTALL THIS HORRID version.

My God It's Rigged with bugs madmadmad

Works fine on NT4.

*Upgraded from IE5.5 b

*Also upgrade from default IE.

Works fine on NT5.

* Upgraded from default IE

It's gotta be you!

I had a ton of bugs with ie5.5 upon installing on a fresh w2k install, but I seem to have fixed it. I uninstalled ie5.5, then installed ie5.01SP1, then upgraded to ie5.5 again and so far, so good. I am hoping the W2K SP1 cleans up the last peculiarities.

:}

That's what im waiting for is SP1 for win2000

go to www.download.com search for "IE" and go to "IE 5.5"

50% thumbs down rating... Out of 400 users.

Now that's VERY bad!!!!!!!!!!

IE5.5 is working ok on my system, just two things i have to check with with you..

1. Where is that thing in the statusbar: serching for www.ntcompatible.com, website found , waiting for reply..(I REALLY miss that thing)

2. When a website's not found and you get the page: click here to refresh, click here to check your networksettings bla bla. I don't have the "refresh-link" anymore, instead I have to click the refresh-icon on the toolbar. (This sucks)

Anyone else noticed this ?

// Toby

I like it, had no problems with it, and at last there is a print preview button, just why it took MS so long to add I'll never know

Have no problems with 5.5. Like the print preview option, but other then that i think that's was all included.

IE 5.5 works well for me, also. Enough of the scaremongering, unless you have something from your own experience to post.

------------------

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolph Hitler, 1935

Well I have to agree with Dragon-Lord IE5.5 more bugeee if don't install IE5.01SP1 frist

but I think IE5.5 still need more work before I call it good at lease the beta ver IE5.5 was better.

well I have yet to notice any problems with IE5.5; what bugs have you guys run into?

no probs here ie 5.5 user for 3 months or so now

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Dual Boot Windows 2000 Pro / Windows ME Beta 3

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

128 Megs PC133 Ram

TNT2 Ultra Graphics Card (with the core and memory overclocked by 20 Mhz and dual voodoo coolers)

3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card

3Com 56k Modem

12.6 Gig IBM HD

40X CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Zip Drive

I installed it, and as an computerfreak I found a lot of bugs..... So read the first message here (...dont't install...) and do this!!!!! ;-))

greetings OBO http://go.to/mcpat

I've had no trouble with it. I have yet to see mention of any specific bugs, just "it's full of bugs". Examples, please?

memory exception errors all over the place..

I uninstalled it.. and everything is back to normal

i love 5.0.1!

Of course in every programs are bugs, and so I use IE 5.5 and it works as good as IE 5.01

The worst thing I've noticed is that my auto scoll on my Logitech mouse will scroll by it self, after I release the third button, this didn't happen before, but that was when I still used w98 1/2 the time [i've sinced formated that drive and went purely to w2k pro], so I might not have noticed it in w2k before.

------------------

[edit]

I haven't noticed the scroll problem in a while, since SP-1.

[/edit]

[edit2]

OK, now the scroll problem is back...

[/edit2]

------------------

-brianZjones

============

Soyo SY-7VCA [onboard sound]

PIII 500E [flip chip]

128 MB PC100 RAM

Stealth III S540

Maxtor 10.3 GB

HP 20" Monitor

Win2K Pro [v5.00.2195]

[This message has been edited by Down8 (edited 02 August 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Down8 (edited 02 August 2000).]

Guys, I retract my claim about 5.5..

Although I do see some small problems by changing to IE 5.5, the service pack really made everything stable.

Windows 2000 w/ IE 5.5 & ServicePack 1 Rox!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes, my funkiness with ie5.5 has stopped as well with SP1. 2D display refreshes are noticeably faster...the system is running mucho stable now...

LW3 still fails EAX under SMP...so this is a SBLive! driver issue.

NAV2000 still hangs during large numbers of files scanned, so this must be a Norton issue.

The rest of it is smoking...

:}

hmmm.. no probs with IE5.5

it's running like sweet chocolate smile

errors?? mem exceps?? WHERE??????

I think the people who are against

IE5.5 and saying it's full of bugs are

100% netscape compatible peeps.

there is no other explanation smile

My system was 100% stable with IE 5.5 beta. I recently upgraded to 5.5 final and now have random lockups whenever I am surfing with more than 2 windows open. I thought maybe SP1 would fix it but it did not.

Now I am really stuck as to what is causing these weird lockups. They appeared at first to be completely random but I now have confirmed that its only IE that ever locks up (I can play StarCraft or Unreal Tourny for 5 hours strait no problem). I've tried several different hardware changes to try and isolate the problem and every single thing I've tried failed to eliminate the lock ups.

My system specs are thus:

--------------------------------------------

Abit BP6

Dual Celeron 500's

2x 32MB PC66 SDRAM (Crucial Brand)

1x 64MB PC66 SDRAM (Crucial Brand)

WDC 8.4GB ATA33 (C smile

Samsung 4.3GB ATA66 (E smile

36X Cdrom (D smile

AWE64 Soundblaster Sound Card (ISA)

3com/usr 56K X2 Voice Modem (ISA)

Creative Labs Blaster Banshee (3dfx voodoo banshee chipset, AGP)

Linksys Etherfast 10/100 (PCI)

--------------------------------------------

Now any help would be very much appreciated as these lockups are driving me crazy.

And again, I am not swearing that it is IE 5.5 final but I never had this lock up problem until upgrading from 5.5 beta to 5.5 final. There you go guys, a real life IE 5.5 problem (well, possibly)....................