Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
STi Sev

*DO NOT* Install IE 5.5!!!!!!!

I really like IE 5.5, especially the print prview function, but recently I ran into a problem under Windows 2000 with Easy CD-Creator 4.02. In installing Windows Media Player 7.0, I inadvertently forgot to turn off the CD burning feature which disables Direct CD. So, in keeping with Adaptec's directions, I uninstalled Easy CD and Direct CD and uninstalled the feature in Windows Media which dsables the Adaptec stuff.

Now I go to re-install Easy CD Creator and it tells me I DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT VERSION OF INTERNET EXPLORER INSTALLED!! When I try to say go ahead and update to the correct version, it simply bombs... probably because of Windows 2000's system file protection scheme. I've seen nothing about this on MS's site or Adaptec's - has anyone else seen this problem? If so, what do I do to resolve it?

I really like IE 5.5, especially the print prview function, but recently I ran into a problem under Windows 2000 with Easy CD-Creator 4.02. In installing Windows Media Player 7.0, I inadvertently forgot to turn off the CD burning feature which disables Direct CD. So, in keeping with Adaptec's directions, I uninstalled Easy CD and Direct CD and uninstalled the feature in Windows Media which dsables the Adaptec stuff.

Now I go to re-install Easy CD Creator and it tells me I DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT VERSION OF INTERNET EXPLORER INSTALLED!! When I try to say go ahead and update to the correct version, it simply bombs... probably because of Windows 2000's system file protection scheme. I've seen nothing about this on MS's site or Adaptec's - has anyone else seen this problem? If so, what do I do to resolve it?

Newms - this same problem was experienced with office 2000 help after ie5.01 was installed. It's cause they changed the way it stores the version number in the registry and still possibly appliesto ie5.5. Check out the below solution nabbed from the ntcompatible news archives. It may or may not work, so don't blame me :-)

----------------------

IE5.01 SP1 sets the IE build # the wrong way.

In the Win2k Release HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Build is

After IE5.01 SP1 it becomes 5.00.3103.1000 which is probably difficult

to parse if your are expecting 53103.

So, the solution is set HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Build

to 53103

-------------------

Hope that helps

--

Xiven

[This message has been edited by Xiven (edited 15 August 2000).]

i wouldn't reccomend anyone to upgrade their browser, especially MS as it is (dammit) integrated with the damn OS. the best advice to anyone installing an upgraded browser is to get rid of the older version and do the clean instll- that has the least problems.

GET NETSCAPE 6 - yeah!

I have not installed Internet Explorer 5.5 on my home computer running Windows 2000 Professional because I am waiting for all the bugs to be fixed. I did install Internet Explorer 5.5 a on my work computer running Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 5, and found that Internet Explorer 5.5 has an incompatibility with AtGuard 3.22 personal firewall software that causes 'Blue Screen of Death' occurrences periodically. The AtGuard software was sold to Symantec in 1999 and was incorporated into Norton Personal Firewall 2000. A few days ago I un-installed AtGuard 3.22 and installed Norton Personal Firewall 2000 on my work computer and have not had the 'Blue Screen of Death' occurrences since (yet).