Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
spacey

SP1: Forget it or get it?

Hey quick question:

How important is it to get the SP1 and install it, I have no problems on my Win2k right now that I'm aware of. I've just read many bad stories about SP installing and screwing up working things. Thanks in advance for the input.

Spacey,

I personally have not done an "upgrade" per-se, but coming from a fresh installation of Win2k then immediately applying the service pack after I get all my drivers in did not seem to have any negative effects once I installed my software, in fact, the system seemed to have a little more "pep in it's step" if ya know what I mean. I do have one GAME that it fixed some issues in, but it seems to have also broke my ability to stay connected to an online or networked game for more than 10-15 minutes, but thats about it.

Oh wait, yes, my BlackIce defender I had to get an updated version for as well..

Hope this helps, at least a little.

Devildog

how important to install sp1 is of course for you to decide, have you gone through the list of fixes it does @ http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q259/5/24.asp ...

but generally it is advisable to install it, and the screw's up that this might introduce are generally not because of the microsoft's sp1, but of the flows* in the 3rd party soft/drivers, and if it is a popular product the fix will follow shortly

if you install sp1 on a fresh installation of win2k, or slipstream it, there's a lesser chance of problems to appear

however, i've updated my dirty ("unclean" that is smile )win2k pro to sp1 rc v1.59 some time ago, and had no problems since then whatsoever...

The problems are not caused by SP1 but actually by the programs that used Pre-Sp1 code.

Ah, thanks for the replies... I think I'll just stick without the SP for now, maybe if I have time later this summer I'll upgrade.

Ah, thanks for the replies... I think I'll just stick without the SP for now, maybe if I have time later this summer I'll upgrade.

ah friggin net lag at work.. someone delete this.

[This message has been edited by spacey (edited 10 August 2000).]

i think everyone should wait to see if there re any problems after applying the patch and whether microsoft has any solutions to them as i have heard a lot of people complainging about it - unles there is a major problem that will be gone once u appy the patch otherwise i would not apply it at all (that's my opinion)

The only complaining I've heard much of was about the problems with some firewall software versions, which I believe have been updated now. That, and early downloaders like me *****ing about the size (85Mb on a 56K modem) of the sp1network.exe download, which was the first version offered.

------------------

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolph Hitler, 1935