Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KnYnE

Hard freeze with win2000

no, mine is intel bx chipset and it still hard freeze sometimes but it seems to be random, no idea what causes it

Your lockups are caused bij your setup..

If you got an Athlon and Geforce it'll lockup randomly..(I have got the same prob).

I decided too install Windows Millenium Build 2470..

Beta though..

I hope Microsoft comes with a BIG patch/fix to fix this VERY irritating problem..

I have no idea what to do against the prob (sorry) but i do know that if you ain't gonna install Win95/98/SE/ME you will be stuck with this problem untill Microsoft comes with a patch/fix..

I hoped I helped you out..

Good luck in fixing it.. smile

Quote:
Originally posted by KnYnE:
My computer seems to freeze at random times with no error log record. NT does not even know that something has happened. Mouse and keyboard stop responding. power off is the only fix...

sd-11 athlon 600
256 ram
geforce
mx300

Dude, either use the Nvidia 3.66 Drivers or if you are running drivers higher than that then replace nv4_mini.sys in your winnt\system32\drivers directory with a copy of nv4_mini.sys from the 3.66 driver set.

That should fix those erratic ass freeze ups.
Just for fun though put in only 64 megs of ram and I bet you dont freeze. Pretty odd eh? 128 and higher seems to cause freezes without the above fix.

Athlon 550-->650 on a K7Pro
Geforce 3D prophet SDR 135core 190mem
256 Crucial cas2 pc133
13.6 maxtor 7200 drive
intel nic
sb live blah blah blah

:-)

I agree that the problem does not seem limited to just athlons or any piece of hardware but i would love to try the 3.66 drivers, where can i get them??????

please a link would be nice

I also agree that the problem isn't just with the Athlon and Geforce. I noticed that Microsoft has posted some customer support diagnostics on their website. I think we should all download them and post the results for comparison (of course let Microsoft know also). The link to the download is: http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/otherdownloads/symbols/default.asp

If you're on dialup don't bother because a full download is 104Mb for diagnostics and 94Mb for symbols. Feel free to email me if you want: evanwaite@home.com

I am beginning to think it may be my dual boot, mixed fat and ntfs drives, because I don't recall (not 100% sure tho) that this freeze happens when I had only W2K and ntfs in my box.

I've got a dual boot with Win98 (FAT32) and Win2k (NTFS). Never tried it with just Win2k so I don't know if that's the problem. I really hope that Microsoft would have predicted that setup though! Would the other people with this problem post a reply about any dual boot or mixed file formats they run.

Thanks

i also have a mixed setup, my system has ntfs as the primary drive and the rest are fat 32... anyone else also have this... its as good this as anything, i'm gonna see if i can convert my other drives

lockup part whatever...

dear billy, aka MS,

it seems that alot of us are having trouble with various configurations of win2k and coresponding hw locking up.

current setup: asus K7M, athlon 600, 256 Ram, adaptec u2w scsi, ibm 18gb 10k, geforce 32ddr.

upon complete clen install, lockup occurs randomley.

second machine: asus P5AB, amd k6-2 400, 128ram, voodoo3 2000.

upon complete clean install, NO lockup.

at first i thought it had todo with the geforce and the athlon or mobo, but it seems that others with totally different setups are having the same trouble. Since someone mentioned windowblinds, i do have that installed, however, i installed it after the lockups occured, so it cant have to do with it.

other proggys:

iconpackager

winamp 2.6

network associates VS 4.5 RC1

diskeeper 5.3

napster

aol aim

unreal tournament

quake3

i dont believe the software installed has anything to do with it, since i have the same setup on the other machine and it works flawlessly.

I still believe that win2k is the best OS MS has ever released, just please Microsoft, DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS ITS ANNOYING AS HELL TO SAY THE LEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

needless to say... win2k RC2 worked fine on the same machine with the same setup.

the onyl thing i did notice, is that i started having these troubles AFTER i upgraded my bios to 1008. though it might have nothing to do with it, as i didnt run win2k rc2 with that upgraded bios.

any clues, comments, suggestions are of course and alwaze will be appreciated.

thanks - Danny.

Hello I have W2K a Tyan Tiger 100 two PIII 600e's and have had no problems as of yet.

Same freezing 2K....

But I observed that it happens especially eith one of these 2 programs being opened: Outlook Express 2000 and Winamp (2.5-2.6). I don't know if this means something but, anyway, it's strange.

My System:

AMD Athlon 500

Asus K7M 1.04 (1,008 bios)

128 MB PC-100 generic ram

Sb Live

Matrox G400

dOOMY

[This message has been edited by dOOMY (edited 03 March 2000).]

me lord thinks mes found the problem...

seriously... i believe it has todo with the AGP bus on your mobo - on my sys, k7m, athlon 600, geforce ddr, when i select 1xagp the system works super stable, hitting it will all i can to lock it up, no can do. AS SOON AS I Select 2xagp however... within minutes the sys hangs - leads me to believe either a PS problem, or mobo bios problem or driver problem or a combination thereof...

i´d like to see some comments...thanx.

I have set my agp to 1x, we will see if the freezes go away. I will post again once it freezes. If it does not freeze in 48 hours i will know the problem is solved for me

I found another thing about this freeze is that it always occurs when i had winamp opened, downloaded winamp 2.61 to see it freeze still occurs.

I have had two freezes already since switching to 1x agp speed. That does not seem to be the fix for me. Outlook does seem to be involved though. But that does not seem to be true every time. Problem is just to random.

I had the same problem.

I posted this message on www.k7m.com and it helped alot of ASUS K7M owners (including me)

If you got a ASUS K7M MB with an Athlon processor and any kind of Nvidia graphicboard, do like this.

Install the Nvidia Reference 3.78 drivers then reboot into safe mode and copy nv4_mini.sys from the Nvidia 3.66 reference driver set to their %system_root%\system32\drivers.

So you need these files:

NV4_mini.sys ver 3.66

NV4_Disp.Dll ver 3.78

NVoglnt.Dll ver 3.78

NYInstNT.dll ver 3.78

Anyhow. You can find the drivers at http://www.reactorcritical.com/

/DjStef

i made the switch mentioned above and i am happy to see i have not had any freezes so far... I will get it another 48 hours before i give it the thumbs up, i have never gottem my machine to last that long since w2k was installed... *fingers crossed*

I'm going to try the fix for the Asus SMP m/b listed on the front page of this site. Can anyone with one of these boards who has already done this fix please post a reply on the end result (Are the freezes really gone?)

Thanks

thanx for your post,

after researching the problem a bit more, i believe the fix has todo with setting the default agp speed to 1x - as there seem to be compatibility / stability problems with athlon mobo´s and geforce chips running faster than agpx1. Just read a review of the asus K7V 133fsb, and the problems seem to have been ironed out as you can run the geforce with agp x4 no problemo. Also, from what i understand, all pre 378 drivers set the agp speed to 1x for athlon´s by default, hence no stability problems...

cheers, danny.

I have Abit BP6 and Matrox G400, it also freeze randomly, suspect something to do with too much multitasking, it seems switching performance to background in control panel helps reduce lock ups.

WEll i have been up for 3 days now without a single problem. I promised myself i wouldnt cry.... anyway, thanks for the suggestion with swapping out that SYS file. Since i did it everyting has been perfect. Hard to believe that the video drivers were causing all those problems.

Hello everyone. I want yall to do this. Just for fun. Run your machines with the new drivers and 64 MB of ram. I am almost 99% positive you will NOT crash. Just to test. then swap it for that hunk of 128/256 whatever your poison is and watch the puter freeze. It happened to me consistantly. 64mb no probs. 128/256/384 = mucho crashes.

A650 on a MSI K7Pro

Guillemot Geforce SDR

Win2k pro

256MB crucial pc133

2x13.6 7200 Raid 0

and all the other stuff.

i was having a lot of problems with win 2000 freezing randomly and i finally figured out the cause was faulty memory, maybe this is a problem for some of you, i have replaced the faulity ram and now my computer is working perfectly, i was finding that i could run win 98 and it wouldnt crash at all with the faulty memory, but i guess thats probably because win 98 doesnt use memory as much as win 2000

No Geforce, no AMD, no VIA, just plain old system noted below...

Random lockups seem to happen when online, with IE5 open, and some sort of multimedia going on (mp3, mpg, etc). Maybe a download too on occasion...

Pretty infrequent however, maybe 2-3 a week with moderate daily usage. Mouse and keyboard are gone, other than that, system seems undisturbed (mp3/mpg keeps playing, etc).

Weird.