SB AWE64 Value

Hayes V90 Int. Spk Phone

>-----------------------<

Software:

Win2K Pro Retail (2195)

Office 2000 Premium

NA ViruScan NT 4.03a

Mobo Monitor 4.10

I can also report lockups, but have noticed they only happen when either 3d application or sonique play MP3.

3d application, every 3d game and sonique locks up computer/blue screen.

G400

asus p2d-ds (late revision, no need for move resistor)

2x p3 500

win2k pro retail

Im my case matrox has report it is graphics card drivers not stable on multitasking (2x cpu) environment.

ACID,

I had a cel 433 OVCLK to 540 and my Banshee card clocked to 120. I was having all kinds of random freezes and lock-ups. I clocked my Processor back a bit and made sure I had 2.5V core volts and it cleared all the problems up. I would try clocking your proceesor down a bit.

I made a long post further down the board about the wierd hangups I've been having... does this sound familiar to anyone? It's not my video drivers, unless every Microsoft and Nvidia released video drivers since Beta 2 or so are buggy, since I've had this problem since then.

Ning

Any more info on this problem? Solutions?

Considering the amount of people experiencing this problem, and the varied hardware mentioned in all these posts, I find it difficult to believe this is anything other than a Win2k issue.

Now, I'm not a Win2k hater by any means, but these lock-ups are a real pain in the @ss.

They happen a couple times a night, and don't seem to be related to any particular program that I can tell.

I have had it happen a few times in IE5 when viewing a .mpg or playing an .mp3 or even just surfing, and I have had it happen numerous times in UT as well.

Video and audio keep on playing away in all cases, but mouse and keyboard become inactive and the only correction is to reset the system.

I have swapped out both mouse and keyboard (still PS2 flavor, and I didn't think they were the problem, but it was an easy test to eliminate one possible cause) to no avail. Anybody having this problem using a USB mouse/kb?

I also (on separate iterations)disabled active desktop, reinstalled Windows over itself, and unplugged and replugged in the mouse and keyboard after the freeze...no joy.

Nothing like being in a kick-@ss game of UT online, fraggin' hardcore and <poof>, I need to reboot my system.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Quote:
Originally posted by KnYnE:

My computer seems to freeze at random times with no error log record. NT does not even know that something has happened. Mouse and keyboard stop responding. power off is the only fix...

sd-11 athlon 600

256 ram

geforce

mx300

------------------

-AciD

Hardware:

BP6 running QQ Beta BIOS

Dual Celeron 366 @ 566MHZ

128MB Samsung -GL

IBM UDMA66 13.6g

WDC UDMA33 5.1g

Toshiba 32x

OTI Socrates 2x2x6x

V3-2000-AGP clocked @ 166

SB AWE64 Value

Kingston PCI 10/100 NIC

Software:

Win2K Pro Retail (2195)

Office 2000 Premium

NA ViruScan NT 4.03a

Mobo Monitor 4.10

[This message has been edited by acidspray (edited 06 April 2000).]

I think this is a problem with graphic card drivers. Prior to Nvidia's 3.81 drivers all was well, now I get random freezes and the blue screen of death saying

Stop error occurred - Bad_Pool_Caller

This is a paging fault error which is probably due to timing issues with the cards drivers.

Another thought is have any of you installed or tried to install Direct CD as this had enormous repercussions on my system....?

I had hangups that ceased when removing dimms...With a 256 dimm and two 128 dimms, win2k would do total freezes...I would have to reboot...No nvidia drivers have made my system crash yet, but the dimms were mixed brands...they wld run fine on 98, but crash in 2k...win2k might just be more sensitive to mixed ram...I can use either to 256 or the two 128's (128's are the same brand)

I do not know the solution of this odd problem but i'm convinced it's due to video drivers as it was said previously.

I get this problem as soon as i had installed the ATI driver for my fury. Since i removed it, any more problem.....

May be there is a certification from microsoft constructor do not respect and it's the reason of the problem ! I really don't know

I would get the hard freeze also and i found that it was related to video drivers.I'd run my desktop in 32-bits and that was the cause.

I'm using 3dfx Voodoo3 3000 agp card.Once i set my desktop to 16-bits everything seems to be fine now.Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by PLBlaze (edited 14 April 2000).]

For those who got the random keyboard+mouse lock, (unable to use keyboard+mouse while program still running) if you are overclocking, up the voltage or slow down a bit. W2K is not as overclocking friendly as Win98. I was able to run win98 stable but have to up the voltage to 2.2-2.3v to run w2k stable otherwise i will get the above random lock.

After numerous re-installs and a host of other changes...I seem to have gotten rid of those kb/mouse lockups.

I did two things of substance, pretty sure the later one did it.

Switched audio cards from AWE64 ISA to Monster MX300

Switched HD's/CD-ROMs around such that everything is a master (4 devices, 2 UDMA66 connectors, 2 UDMA33 connectors ie primary master and secondary master on UDMA66 and primary master and secondary master on UDMA33)

I dunno, but I'm glad they are gone.

------------------

-AciD

Hardware:

BP6 running QQ Beta BIOS

HPT 366 1.231 Beta UDMA66

Dual Celeron 366 @ 566MHZ

128MB Samsung -GL

IBM UDMA66 13.6g

WDC UDMA33 5.1g

Toshiba 32x

OTI Socrates 2x2x6x

V3-2000-AGP clocked @ 166

SB AWE64 Value

Kingston PCI 10/100 NIC

Software:

Win2K Pro Retail (2195)

Office 2000 Premium

NA ViruScan NT 4.03a

Mobo Monitor 4.10

My 2 cents....

I too am experiencing complete lockups in Win2k lately regardless of which application(s) I have open (which is a pity cause I was just getting used to being able to end-task the affected program without it crashing the system).

This started to happen about the same time as I installed the Nvidia 5.14 drivers for my GeForce card, and having read through some of the posts here, I thought that was the problem so I went back to the 5.13 drivers (which worked flawlessly) BUT I'm STILL getiing lockups which force me to completely reboot the system.

At this point I'm considering a reload (lucky I have the system dual-booted with Win98), but I'm open to any suggestions anyone else might have.

My System:

DELL Dimension XPS T550

PIII 550

256MB RAM

Creative 32MB GeForce DDR

Creative SBLive Value

Toshiba DVD-ROM

Sony CD-RW

Maxtor 9.1GB & 12GB drives

Win98/Win2k Pro Retail Dual-boot

Netscape 4.7

Winamp 2.61

NortonAV 2000

Thanks in advance for any help....

[This message has been edited by Kaiser (edited 30 April 2000).]

Windows 2000 is more sensitive to flaky hardware than Windows 9x/ME because of the way it uses the hardware in a more intensive way.

One guy said that when he runs with only 64MB of RAM, everything works, but when he adds RAM, it craps out on him. I had that problem with my old machine and discovered that my various DIMMs (different manufacturers and specs) didn't like each other, and one was very marginal anyway. I also had a problem with an inconsistent and very low-grade power supply. Further, my cooling was a problem. If I didn't have the case open with an external fan blowing RIGHT ON the video chip, my machine would freeze 3 minutes into any game. With all of these problems behind me, I learned a lot about making a super-stable machine.

I built my new machine with a 300W power supply from a highly reputable manufacturer, in a well-designed case with great cooling (6 fans in a good flow layout), using two identical 128MB *BRAND NAME* DIMMs (Crucial brand), a boxed retail P3-667 with the good fan built in, and a LeadTek GeForce with one of the 6 fans blowing RIGHT ON it. I also made sure I had the latest BIOS revisions and drivers for everything in the system. Mind you, building a machine with all of these considerations does cost more than getting all of the cheapest parts. But every machine I've built before was more cost-focused and less stability-focused. To me, it's worth about $300 more to get the peace of mind.

With the new system, I've had ZERO hard freezes since I built it in early January, and the only times I've even had BSOD were with one particular build of NVidia drivers (3.68, I think). My old machine, which now functions as a server, has been reworked to take care of MOST of these problems. It hasn't had any hard freezes since I reworked some of the problems, and it has only had a few BSOD related to BlackIce defender (1.94?) and ZoneAlarm 2.0.

No one wants to hear that their RAM, power supply, or case (cooling) may be the problem, because it costs money to remedy it. I'm suggesting, though, that for many of you, it may be your only solution.

First of all, say I'm new here, and hello everybody.

I wanna tell you my friend, that you're in right but only 50%. Why? Easy, because you are supposing our systems didn't work never, and that's not true. The problem appears in win2k, for example in my case, I didn't got that troubles in Windows NT 4.0 Server SP6, some months ago. And now appears in win2k. So the memory problem, supply power, etc, that you say, could be the solution in some cases, but not all of them.

I've got the freezes too. Sometimes it happens when I'm watching ASF videos and I try to move the window over the desktop. Then the video shows a flash and a blank screen appears. The system is working behind that blank screen. But I reboot it. Other times simply when the D3D mode is initializing a BSOD appears. I saw many of this messages where the people tell us their configurations, many of them have video boards with chipsets Nvidia. The NVidia drivers for win2k are still in RC or Beta state. So I feel the problem is about that. On the contrary I've got a Home Studio Pro 64 Sound Card, so is not AWE64 and I've got the freezes too. I'm use Symantec Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition 7.0, instead McAffe or AVP. So I think the problem is not that. I've got an SCSI Card from Adaptec, 2940U,and devices like HD, CDRW, Scanner and Dat. All works well. Also I've got IDE DVD drive, and 3 HD more on IDE. Also I've got the Real Magic Hollywood + MPEG2 Decoder Card for DVD. All works well. So, as a result, I bet the problem is a Video Unstable Problem. I suppose this problem have been reported to Microsoft, and they'll try to solve it in any Service Pack. I hope so. smile

Sorry for my english mistakes and Regards from Spain.

Hi all,

Just to let you know...

I finally had enough of lockups in what I still consider to be the best operating system ever released by Microsoft so I reloaded it there last night

The first time I reinstalled everything that used to work (stuff like Netscape 4.7, Norton AV 2000 etc) and the Nvidia 5.13 drivers BUT the system started to again lockup completely at random....as these drivers (and everything else I reinstalled) previously worked flawlessly on my system, I'm at a loss as to why I'm experiencing these problems now.

However, I've since reloaded a second time and installed the official Nvidia 3.78 drivers for win2k and so far so good....I'll keep you posted!

i hav dis problem once, i make my comp to 128 MB of ram and wen i boot up to win2k it piss me off but if my ram below 128, then win2k works fine....

To end my freees I just installed the minisys from the 3.66 drivers and it stops all my freezes, any other minisys seems to cause traces left on the screen and hard freezes.

Try upgrading drivers here: http://www.americas.creative.com/win2k.html

Hope it helps.

Bye.

Quote:
Originally posted by ewaite:

Same problem here! I thought it was just a bug in the drivers for RC2 but the final still has problems. I can get it to lock up using any type of multimedia (mp3,video,etc).

My system:

Asus P2B-D M/B (dual processor)

Single PIII-550

256Mb RAM

SoundBlaster Live!

ATI Rage Fury